Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2020, 02:32 PM   #5361
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Interesting article in the financial post today about Irving Oil getting permission from the government to source Canadian oil...from the TM export terminal in Vancouver.

https://business.financialpost.com/c...#comments-area

Quote:
Irving’s new solution to access the oil will purportedly see Western Canadian oil travel 6,300 nautical miles, or 11,771 kilometres, according to Sea-distances.org, more than twice the length of the abandoned 4,600-kilometre Energy East pipeline.
Irving Oil is also looking to source Canadian oil delivered through ports in Texas and Louisiana.
“Further, Canadian oil is also available from Canadian crude producers at Gulf Coast terminals in the United States,” Scott wrote in the application. “To maintain flexibility with crude suppliers, Irving Oil needs to have the option to acquire Canadian oil both in British Columbia and the Gulf Coast.”
In a clear win for the environment and global emissions, oil that could have been supplied to the East through a low emission direct pipeline is now traveling 1000km in the opposite direction to Vancouver before embarking on the 12,000km ocean journey to St. John. Just a brilliant move by the eco fanatics to make that happen. The good news is if Keystone is ever finished eastern Canada can source oil from the US gulf coast which would only be a 4200km unnecessary ocean trip. Simply brilliant

Last edited by DiracSpike; 05-05-2020 at 02:34 PM.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2020, 02:35 PM   #5362
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks, Quebec.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:07 PM   #5363
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Better than Saudi Oil at least.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 12:41 AM   #5364
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Much like using a fully loaded revolver makes Russian Roulette more efficient.

In some ways its better, in others....not so much.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 12:57 AM   #5365
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Is it even worth talking about?
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 01:18 AM   #5366
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
Interesting article in the financial post today about Irving Oil getting permission from the government to source Canadian oil...from the TM export terminal in Vancouver.

https://business.financialpost.com/c...#comments-area

In a clear win for the environment and global emissions, oil that could have been supplied to the East through a low emission direct pipeline is now traveling 1000km in the opposite direction to Vancouver before embarking on the 12,000km ocean journey to St. John. Just a brilliant move by the eco fanatics to make that happen. The good news is if Keystone is ever finished eastern Canada can source oil from the US gulf coast which would only be a 4200km unnecessary ocean trip. Simply brilliant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Thanks, Quebec.
Thank Trudeau as well, with one stroke of a pen I believe any PM could make energy east happen and instantly Canada could not only serve it's own customers in eastern Canada but Europe as well, instead of incoming Saudi supertankers in Saint John's harbor it could be supertankers flying a Canadian flag bound for Europe.
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:10 AM   #5367
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Is it even worth talking about?
Sorry, defeatist sarcasm doesnt work in a highly political thread. I just find ironic that the key to not using Saudi oil eventually involved pipelining it through a foreign country and using tankers to bring it back.. As always it was economics that create change from using Saudi oil and not human rights.. It’s funny/tragic that this solution is the solution that comes out of the ethical oil problem.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:47 AM   #5368
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The key win here is Canadians using Canadian oil. Once you put it on a ship the distance you float it is almost irrelevant. And I am fine with huge tankers docking on both coasts.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:58 AM   #5369
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
The key win here is Canadians using Canadian oil. Once you put it on a ship the distance you float it is almost irrelevant. And I am fine with huge tankers docking on both coasts.
But it's also then taking export capacity away. If we had, you know, a pipeline, we could then maintain both. But that's way to logical.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:05 AM   #5370
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Thank Trudeau as well, with one stroke of a pen I believe any PM could make energy east happen and instantly Canada could not only serve it's own customers in eastern Canada but Europe as well, instead of incoming Saudi supertankers in Saint John's harbor it could be supertankers flying a Canadian flag bound for Europe.
It's funny to contrast Canada to the USA in terms of energy security. You have the USA which has had energy security as a top foreign policy plank for basically 75 years, it's a big reason they have such a large navy patrolling the middle east and multiple land bases in Qatar, UAE, Kuwait, and Saudi Arabia. It was basically the reason for the first gulf war and maybe the second. So much blood and treasure expended to protect the lifeblood of their economy and foreign supply, the concept of full energy independence a fever dream until very recently. Canada on the other hand is presented with a project that with one pipe achieves what decades of trillion dollar American military spends could only dream of, and instead of jumping on it shrugs their shoulders and fears what Quebec might think, and it dies.

Now we have some projects moving forward that will hopefully be complete soon that can send oil anywhere, even to the east, but it's not really the point. I'm ecstatic Keystone is going ahead, but that's a project that basically could have been going ahead in Canada. All Canadian labor bases paying taxes, all Canadian land being used collecting the property taxes, more control over the process since it's through one country, and all the benefits at the end point in New Brunswick to help them build out their port and become and exporting hub generating jobs for an impoverished area. Economically, strategically, environmentally, it was a clear win.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:13 AM   #5371
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
It still creates larger than required differentials. The maximum price Canadian oil can sell for relative to Saudi Oil is lowered by the shipping cost.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2020, 09:42 AM   #5372
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It still creates larger than required differentials. The maximum price Canadian oil can sell for relative to Saudi Oil is lowered by the shipping cost.
Wouldn’t that apply to the Arabic Oils also?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 11:13 AM   #5373
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't know why we aren't building up Churchill, MB and other NW Passage shipping control and port assets. The ice is going away, we need to be asserting our dominion on what will be THE most important shipping route outside of the Panama Canal in the next 100+ years, if not MORE important than the PC.

Vancouver is a very limited port, period. It is situated in a terrible place geographically for moving goods to and fro the rest of Canada, and really how much MORE can it handle, of any type of goods? Western Canada in particular needs far better options for sea access whether it's to ship oil, grain, or whatever.

I'd fully support Kenney in making a move to participate on a Provincial level to making such infrastructure a reality.
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SeeGeeWhy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2020, 11:17 AM   #5374
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
It's funny to contrast Canada to the USA in terms of energy security. You have the USA which has had energy security as a top foreign policy plank for basically 75 years, it's a big reason they have such a large navy patrolling the middle east and multiple land bases in Qatar, UAE, Kuwait, and Saudi Arabia. It was basically the reason for the first gulf war and maybe the second. So much blood and treasure expended to protect the lifeblood of their economy and foreign supply, the concept of full energy independence a fever dream until very recently. Canada on the other hand is presented with a project that with one pipe achieves what decades of trillion dollar American military spends could only dream of, and instead of jumping on it shrugs their shoulders and fears what Quebec might think, and it dies.

Now we have some projects moving forward that will hopefully be complete soon that can send oil anywhere, even to the east, but it's not really the point. I'm ecstatic Keystone is going ahead, but that's a project that basically could have been going ahead in Canada. All Canadian labor bases paying taxes, all Canadian land being used collecting the property taxes, more control over the process since it's through one country, and all the benefits at the end point in New Brunswick to help them build out their port and become and exporting hub generating jobs for an impoverished area. Economically, strategically, environmentally, it was a clear win.
I believe something that will come out of this pandemic is a willingness to reorganize our collective society away from a focus on maximum efficiency and more towards resilience and local security. Canada suffers from geographic fates that we sort of need to prioritize regionally, but I do suspect we will see "less than optimal" things being built in order to create a wider set of favourable outcomes for the long term as opposed to maximizing short term profitability. I also see publicizing things that are generally seen as more connected to security and basic needs like food and energy. Frankly, the risk takers need to be risk takers, capitalists has lost its ambition for too long. Let the pensions and governments be rent takers on staples.
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeeGeeWhy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2020, 11:19 AM   #5375
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Wouldn’t that apply to the Arabic Oils also?
Yes, but we pipeline + barge instead of just pipeline. So whatever the cost of the barging is directly comes off the value of WCS.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2020, 11:36 AM   #5376
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, but we pipeline + barge instead of just pipeline. So whatever the cost of the barging is directly comes off the value of WCS.
Plus tanker prices run up like crazy any time there is contango (like now). That lowers the price you can get at the worst time.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 11:46 AM   #5377
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeGeeWhy View Post
I don't know why we aren't building up Churchill, MB and other NW Passage shipping control and port assets. The ice is going away, we need to be asserting our dominion on what will be THE most important shipping route outside of the Panama Canal in the next 100+ years, if not MORE important than the PC.

Vancouver is a very limited port, period. It is situated in a terrible place geographically for moving goods to and fro the rest of Canada, and really how much MORE can it handle, of any type of goods? Western Canada in particular needs far better options for sea access whether it's to ship oil, grain, or whatever.

I'd fully support Kenney in making a move to participate on a Provincial level to making such infrastructure a reality.
How about shipping oil to Thunder Bay and through the Great Lakes, up through the St. Lawrence as another option? I'm no expert but aren't the lakes navigable?
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 11:49 AM   #5378
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not a pipeline engineer, but I wonder if there are technical challenges to building to Churchill. The seasonal flooding and ground heaves make maintaining the rail link an ongoing issue, I would think there are similar concerns with running a pipeline.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2020, 11:53 AM   #5379
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
How about shipping oil to Thunder Bay and through the Great Lakes, up through the St. Lawrence as another option? I'm no expert but aren't the lakes navigable?
You are not going to get a big enough ship through the locks, I wouldn't think. Plus you have to deal with the US. And people. So many people.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2020, 11:57 AM   #5380
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I believe something that will come out of this pandemic is a willingness to reorganize our collective society away from a focus on maximum efficiency and more towards resilience and local security. Canada suffers from geographic fates that we sort of need to prioritize regionally, but I do suspect we will see "less than optimal" things being built in order to create a wider set of favourable outcomes for the long term as opposed to maximizing short term profitability. I also see publicizing things that are generally seen as more connected to security and basic needs like food and energy. Frankly, the risk takers need to be risk takers, capitalists has lost its ambition for too long. Let the pensions and governments be rent takers on staples.
I thought so too but I think ultimately a lot of people are just straight ignorant on supply lines. We had an embarrassingly large portion of the population that was supporting a handful of protestors crippling our rail network for weeks. I think the only thing that will snap people's focus to where it needs to be is an actual shortage of something. It's going to take an Abqaiq style attack in the middle east that actually shuts down production resulting in lineups, restrictions, and $4.00 gas for enough people in the east to come to Jesus and realize that maybe a reliable pipeline from your own country and not tankers from the most volatile region in the world is the way to go.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post: