Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2017, 10:11 AM   #121
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Just to catch you guys up, our last two podcasts starring Keon Raymond, Charleston Hughes and Quinn Smith

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:11 AM   #122
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

http://www.cflhorsemen.ca/2017.html

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2017, 10:56 AM   #123
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stamps depth chart is below - Buckley is indeed starting and Roy Finch is back.

dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:23 AM   #124
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Just to catch you guys up, our last two podcasts starring Keon Raymond, Charleston Hughes and Quinn Smith
Keon is one of the guys I have the utmost respect for, not just in the CFL or sports, but life in general. He’s been huge in the Calgary community. Awesome that he and his wife have made Calgary home

Get his name on the Wall of Fame
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M*A*S*H 4077 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2017, 12:03 PM   #125
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I regret being on that show, I've talked to Keon quite a few times as he was a coach with the Cowboys organization and his son was a player for the Navy team.

He just came across as a good guy.

Old 11-02-2017, 12:26 PM   #126
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
Cfl.ca saying Buckley gets the start tomorrow
If Mitchell is still nursing that shoulder this is a good call but if not I would have liked to see him play as the offense needs work.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 09:01 PM   #127
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

i really feel as though the Stamps are going to lay an egg in the western final. i really hope i am wrong as we have see this far too often. love the defense but the offense is really out of sync. just not sure if they can turn it around this quickly. felt a lot better last year.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dirk diggler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2017, 07:14 AM   #128
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lets hope that the Bombers win this weekend and the Stamps get some good practice in over the coming weeks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2017, 09:43 AM   #129
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
i really feel as though the Stamps are going to lay an egg in the western final. i really hope i am wrong as we have see this far too often. love the defense but the offense is really out of sync. just not sure if they can turn it around this quickly. felt a lot better last year.
The one positive to take from the offense is that they did seem to get on the same page in the 2nd half against the Eskimos a couple of weeks ago. The key as it always is in November is ball security, the Stamps defense will give the team a great chance to win as long as the offense doesn't turnover the ball. The Eskies scare me more than the Bombers mainly because of Mike Reilly, he can beat you with his feet as well as with his arm.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:25 AM   #130
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

love the defense but I agree, Reilly is a scary guy to play, he has the weapons and he will run through a wall to win the game. Right now I think Edmonton is the team that is playing the best. Hope DD can get the Stamps up to speed in the next 2 weeks.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:46 AM   #131
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually feel better about this team then last years team heading into west final. The defence is top notch and at home Bo will move the ball.

Not worried to be honest.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2017, 11:08 AM   #132
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
I actually feel better about this team then last years team heading into west final. The defence is top notch and at home Bo will move the ball.

Not worried to be honest.
You should be worried. Dave Dickenson's play calling and Messam running in the snow are huge concerns!
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:09 AM   #133
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
love the defense but I agree, Reilly is a scary guy to play, he has the weapons and he will run through a wall to win the game. Right now I think Edmonton is the team that is playing the best. Hope DD can get the Stamps up to speed in the next 2 weeks.
In the West, no question but I think the Argos are the team to beat right now.

Tressman has that club firing on all cylinders, its to bad their own city doesnt care enough to take notice.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:10 AM   #134
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I felt better about last year's team, and really good after the western final. This season i'm glad the team has struggled before the playoffs and we avoided the best regular season title nonsense, but at the same time I would have liked to have seen BLM and/or Messam have a dominating game late in the season. So there is a niggling uncertainty with the offence.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:17 AM   #135
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
You should be worried. Dave Dickenson's play calling and Messam running in the snow are huge concerns!
I have no qualms about DD's play calling at all.

He isnt calling plays that haven't been practiced dozens and dozens of times.

At that point the failure of execution is on the players, and every single one of them will tell you that very thing.

It's not like he is just making things up on the fly and his win/loss record should be enough to illustrate that in spades.

This year hasnt seen the same explosive offense of previous seasons but only one team in the league scored more points (31 of them).

I think they will be fine as long as Bo is healthy (thats a big if right now for sure) and they get back to executing the simple stuff.

They sure have missed Marquay too....way more than they should have but it is what it is.

That defense though? Historically good and something that they can hang their hats on going forward even if the offense struggles some.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:20 AM   #136
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
In the West, no question but I think the Argos are the team to beat right now.

Tressman has that club firing on all cylinders, its to bad their own city doesnt care enough to take notice.
Fully agree. Argos are the team I don't want to meet in the Grey Cup, assuming we get there. And Ricky Ray seems to stick it to us when it matters.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:34 AM   #137
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I have no qualms about DD's play calling at all.

He isnt calling plays that haven't been practiced dozens and dozens of times.

At that point the failure of execution is on the players, and every single one of them will tell you that very thing.

It's not like he is just making things up on the fly and his win/loss record should be enough to illustrate that in spades.

This year hasnt seen the same explosive offense of previous seasons but only one team in the league scored more points (31 of them).

I think they will be fine as long as Bo is healthy (thats a big if right now for sure) and they get back to executing the simple stuff.

They sure have missed Marquay too....way more than they should have but it is what it is.

That defense though? Historically good and something that they can hang their hats on going forward even if the offense struggles some.
I'll just wait to see your response when late in the 4th quarter and the game is close and it's 2nd and 2 and he calls a 50 yard bomb down the field...
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:51 AM   #138
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

DD must be doing something right, he's 28-6-2 as a head coach in the CFL, and that's despite losing the last 3 games.

Also, the Stamps scored the 2nd most points in the CFL this season, and that's despite only scoring 32 points total over the last 3 weeks.

That being said, I'm already on record weeks ago as believing this team will probably not even make the Grey Cup this season, because no matter how good the team is, this franchise is allergic to being a Dynasty.

It's always something with this franchise, whether it be injuries, weather or just a plain old rock solid choke job like last years Grey Cup.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2017, 12:32 PM   #139
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
I'll just wait to see your response when late in the 4th quarter and the game is close and it's 2nd and 2 and he calls a 50 yard bomb down the field...
it will be 2nd down and 2, Mitchell will scramble and have 15 yards of open field ahead of him and he will throw it into double coverage. not sure about what everyone thinks but there are times he needs to run when the first down is close, even once or twice a game. he is so adamant about not running. just don't understand it.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:41 PM   #140
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO DD's play calling has been suspect. He's put his QB's in bad situations especially with his first down play calling which typically consists of Messam up the middle for a short gain leaving 2nd and long which is why the team has the 3rd worst (7th) 2nd down conversion percentage, 2nd worst (8th) completion percentage. The loss against the Riders was painful as DD just kept running Messam into that Riders DL for little or no gain over and over even into the 2nd half when it was evident Jones made a concerted effort to stuff the run. Lots of silly play calls in goal to go situations which is why they have the 2nd (8th) worst red zone percentage in the league. I don't know if it's because being head coach is taking away from his attention to offense but I'm a firm believer he needs to hand over the offense in the offseason as the offense lacked any creativity and was as bland as I can remember a Stamps offense since the Huff/DD regime. Easy to scheme against and easy to stop.

If you look into a lot of the advanced stats they do not put the offense in a very good light. While they scored a lot of points a lot was driven by special teams as 42 of the Stampeders scoring drives started in the opponents end of the field which is more than any other team and considerably more than the average. Despite that they only scored TD's on 26% of these opportunities which was worst in the league with most teams converting 35-45% of these opportunities.

I'm not calling for any firings of course because I believe DD is a stellar head coach but there's no doubt the offense has got a little stale and could use an infusion of new ideas.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post: