Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2022, 11:55 AM   #1681
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't believe how good Andor is. Like, every character and plot line is a 10/10.

The actress who does Mon Montha just exudes grace and charm, but she's brilliant and a risk taker too.

Stellan Skarsgaard is an awesome character - basically touching off a civil war and not even being sorry one bit.

Thos ISB villians and setting are awesome.

Just can't say enough good things about it. Proof that hardcore star wars fans can be happy with something that isn't peppered with fan service, as long as the story is good.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2022, 11:57 AM   #1682
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2022, 03:07 PM   #1683
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tales of the Jedi tomorrow. It looks like all 6 episodes will be dropping at the same time, and they only have about a 15 minute run-time each (hopefully that's not including the usual 7 minutes of credits).

Bryce Dallas Howard is providing the voice for Yaddle.
Old 10-26-2022, 12:14 PM   #1684
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally!! Table 5 getting the respect he/she/it deserves!!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2022, 12:26 PM   #1685
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was it known that the actor who was in charge of Andor's group was going to appear in this series, or was that a surprise? I still find it weird whenever he shows up playing an actual human character, even though he's been doing that more frequently in recent years.

I liked Tales of the Jedi, although they're pretty quick. It's basically 3 Dooku episodes and 3 Ahsoka episodes, with other known characters showing up too.

It gives us canon confirmation that Yaddle spoke normally, so Yoda's weird backwards sentence structure isn't something that everyone in their species does.
Old 10-26-2022, 12:29 PM   #1686
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Was it known that the actor who was in charge of Andor's group was going to appear in this series, or was that a surprise? I still find it weird whenever he shows up playing an actual human character, even though he's been doing that more frequently in recent years.

I liked Tales of the Jedi, although they're pretty quick. It's basically 3 Dooku episodes and 3 Ahsoka episodes, with other known characters showing up too.

It gives us canon confirmation that Yaddle spoke normally, so Yoda's weird backwards sentence structure isn't something that everyone in their species does.
Gollum, Table 5 and Yaddle? Mind = Blown.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 10-26-2022, 12:43 PM   #1687
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Finally!! Table 5 getting the respect he/she/it deserves!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Gollum, Table 5 and Yaddle? Mind = Blown.

I love inside jokes. I hope to be part of one some day.
Old 10-26-2022, 12:45 PM   #1688
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
What are you talking about? You're part of lots of them! Oh. Wait. I've said too much.

Old 10-26-2022, 01:19 PM   #1689
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
https://forum.calgarypuck.com/member.php?u=79
Old 10-26-2022, 03:01 PM   #1690
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I love a good 'the Office' reference.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bdubbs For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2022, 10:33 PM   #1691
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Loved Tales from the Jedi, maybe its nostalgia, and while I don't have anything against live action Ashoka, Ashley Eckstein will always be her voice to me. It was also great to see the other voice actors.

Really good telling of the stories in between the stories. Count Dooku wasn't evil, but his good intentions lead him there. But you can't blame him after what he'd seen and gone through supporting what he felt was a corrupt Senate, and a out of touch Jedi Council. He was evil pickings for Dooku. But you saw the conflict with him til near the end, when he saw Yaddle who had told him she resigned from the council and saw the corruption, was still a pawn of the system. Then you saw him realize that he was on the path of what he thought was the greater good.

The Ahsoka story was really well done too and the animation style really shone through. Especially the heart breaking look on her face when she stated that Padme was her friend. The last episode followed almost per note the novel about how she became Fulcrum.

The Inquisitor in the novel was the terrifying 6th brother, but they upped the ante on him, giving him a very much Old Republic Sith look. And having him voiced by Clancey Brown was excellent.

As well, Count Dooku was voiced by the same voice actor who played Cad Bane in the Clone Wars series.

Overall really well written, the animation was really good and lush and deep. and it was nice to see these stories.

Hopefully there's another season. I could watch an episode of Dooku discovering Palpatine was the Sith Lord and that conversation.

I would also like to see a Tales of the Sith, because you know, I support the Empire and its pursuit of Peace and Order.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 03:58 AM   #1692
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last week, we saw that Vel can clean up and fit in on the upper levels of Coruscant.

This week, we get this exchange...
Cinta: "Maybe I'm a rich girl running away from her family."
Vel: "That's cold, even for you."

Obviously, there's still more to be revealed about Vel's backstory. Is she linked to a wealthy family we already know, or is it someone new? Could she be Mon Mothma's sister? Related to Luthen? Perhaps Palpatine's secret daughter?
Old 10-27-2022, 07:35 AM   #1693
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

So speculation is that the prisoners are making parts for the death star?

Also the engineer in me doesn't understand why the empire needs slave labour when droids would be much more efficient for the menial jobs they have them doing. Should be less overhead of the infrastructure to keep prisoners in line too and easier to keep secret.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 09:07 AM   #1694
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
So speculation is that the prisoners are making parts for the death star?

Also the engineer in me doesn't understand why the empire needs slave labour when droids would be much more efficient for the menial jobs they have them doing. Should be less overhead of the infrastructure to keep prisoners in line too and easier to keep secret.
Even in mass production, Droids are more expensive to build and maintain. In terms of slaves, They're easy to aquire and in the case of alien species like Wookies better workers that are disposable.

If you look at the Clone Troopers (Really living droids) They were far more expensive then recruiting and conscription.

Plus Slave labor and xenophobia in the Empire just makes them look more evviiil.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 09:11 AM   #1695
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its a big wide Universe out there and its just chock full of people you dont care about.

Droids cost money.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2022, 09:47 AM   #1696
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post

It was a surprise to me; he wasn't in the trailers or anything. I don't remember a cast announcement. But then again, the show as in production so long I forgot Stellan was in it until the trailer lmao
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 09:50 AM   #1697
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can we just for a moment respect the fact that Table 5 is responsible for the destruction of Alderaan?

Old 10-27-2022, 10:51 AM   #1698
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Even in mass production, Droids are more expensive to build and maintain. In terms of slaves, They're easy to aquire and in the case of alien species like Wookies better workers that are disposable.

If you look at the Clone Troopers (Really living droids) They were far more expensive then recruiting and conscription.

Plus Slave labor and xenophobia in the Empire just makes them look more evviiil.
I agree it makes sense to make the Empire look evil, but I don't think it makes sense from a cost and efficiency perspective.

Building a prison/factory facility with special floors and then having to pay the costs to keep guards and prisoners alive would probably cost more than having a bunch of droids working around the clock. Not to mention that eventually the families of the prisoners would lead to questions about where the prisoners end up.

Just need a relatively small maintenance crew to keep the droids running. The droids don't need life support, food, or rest. There should be a ton of droid parts available after the clone wars.

It would make sense if the Empire didn't have thousands of worlds of resources available to it.

Anyways just a small nitpick.

Last edited by sureLoss; 10-27-2022 at 10:54 AM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2022, 10:58 AM   #1699
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree it makes sense to make the Empire look evil, but I don't think it makes sense from a cost and efficiency perspective.

Building a prison/factory facility with special floors and then having to pay the costs to keep guards and prisoners alive would probably cost more than having a bunch of droids working around the clock.

Just need a relatively small maintenance crew to keep the droids running. The droids don't life support, food, or rest. There should be a ton of droid parts available after the clone wars.

It would make sense if the Empire didn't have thousands of worlds of resources available to it.

I love it! Pick away!

In the context of the Star Wars Universe the Galaxy is essentially limitless.

Resources are not scarce and the most abundant resource is the countless idiots that live in this Galaxy.

Furthermore, there seems to be a very real socialized moral ambiguity when it comes to valuing life.

Then we circle around to determining whether treating Droids like crap and commodities also constitutes slavery.

I mean, if the Galaxy is going to do slavery, why spend resources making slaves when the average Joe and Jane will make slaves for you for free anyways?

Old 10-27-2022, 11:38 AM   #1700
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:

Building a prison/factory facility with special floors and then having to pay the costs to keep guards and prisoners alive would probably cost more than having a bunch of droids working around the clock. Not to mention that eventually the families of the prisoners would lead to questions about where the prisoners end up.

Just need a relatively small maintenance crew to keep the droids running. The droids don't need life support, food, or rest. There should be a ton of droid parts available after the clone wars.

But if building it fast, without people knowing, is the objective, building the droids, training them to do specific tasks, testing, etc. would be more time consuming than bringing in a bunch of prisoner slaves. Then when it's done you can have the slaves do other things (or kill them), rather than having to try to repurpose a bunch of droids you made for a specific task.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote