Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2022, 07:15 AM   #1641
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripTDR View Post
lol. eh? there's a lot more than that
Some guys on here like to dismiss the animated stuff as children's shows when they're really some of the best Star Wars content we've received.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2022, 11:42 AM   #1642
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

yeah I wasn't thinking about the animated shows . it's not a knock on that format at all, they've just always been harder for me to get immersed in personally .
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2022, 10:05 PM   #1643
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Some guys on here like to dismiss the animated stuff as children's shows when they're really some of the best Star Wars content we've received.
Its hard to call Clone Wars a childrens show after the movie and first season. I mean the war on Umbria was incredibly dark and featured murder, betrayal, Clone on Clone violence.

There's the story where Anakin is jealous of Padme and almost beats a guy to death.

We have Anakin just outright murdering people.

Ventress with one of the greatest kills in Star Wars history.

We had an episode that featured Mandalorian genocide of an unarmed village.

Oh and a zombie infection that was extremely creepy.

I mean they really reigned it back in Rebels and but it was still pretty adult story telling in the end.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 10:08 PM   #1644
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Its hard to call Clone Wars a childrens show after the movie and first season. I mean the war on Umbria was incredibly dark and featured murder, betrayal, Clone on Clone violence.

There's the story where Anakin is jealous of Padme and almost beats a guy to death.

We have Anakin just outright murdering people.

Ventress with one of the greatest kills in Star Wars history.

We had an episode that featured Mandalorian genocide of an unarmed village.

Oh and a zombie infection that was extremely creepy.

I mean they really reigned it back in Rebels and but it was still pretty adult story telling in the end.
saying violence between clones would've been more appropriate wording . "clone on clone" just sounds naughty . I have been interested in both shows and have caught bits and pieces . just don't have that kind of time to spare .. maybe eventually

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 10-09-2022 at 10:11 PM.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 12:17 AM   #1645
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah my assessment was taking Clone Wars and Rebels into consideration. Definitely doing a disservice by not having seen them, imo. Of course, there are episodes in CW that are very skippable and unnecessary, but the main story beats are great. Rebels starts off very kid-tailored and then starts coming into its own later on.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 02:50 AM   #1646
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its funny, when you think about Clone Wars which bought in the concept of the bio inhibitor chips that forced the Clones to execute Order 66 and later become the hyper obedient Storm Troopers of the Empire.

But if you think about it, while the chips were an excellent plot device to make you almost feel sorry for the Clones, I doubt they were needed.

1) the Clones were conditioned to obey orders from their birth and even before. They would obey their Clone Commanders, Jedi Commanders and unfailingly the Commander in Chief which was Palpatine.

2) You'd have to think that after years of war serving under a lot of inefficient Jedi Commanders that got their brothers killed, Jedi that lead them to slaughter like Pong Krell, and Jedi like Mace who were hostile to the Clones to outright unfeeling that they would have no trouble pulling the trigger on the Jedi when order 66 came down the pipe. After Umbara, I'm sure that word spread about what happened to them.

3) Palpatine was spreading a lot of propaganda that the Jedi weren't really to be trusted in the later stages of the war, it wouldn't have taken much to spread that message to the Military.

4) All the Clones were interested in was winning the war and securing the Republic.

I believe that the Clones would have willingly pull the trigger on order 66 given their orders came from the supreme authority, that the jedi had betrayed them in the past, that the Jedi were willing to throw thier lives away and were poor leaders. That the Jedi were a threat to the Republic.

Old 10-10-2022, 12:01 PM   #1647
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
Yeah my assessment was taking Clone Wars and Rebels into consideration. Definitely doing a disservice by not having seen them, imo. Of course, there are episodes in CW that are very skippable and unnecessary, but the main story beats are great. Rebels starts off very kid-tailored and then starts coming into its own later on.
I'll quote my own post from the Kenobi thread, again huge shout out to KTrain.

The animated shows always felt unwieldy for me, not because they're animated just because of the huge amount of content and, honestly, if you go beat for beat I just cannot fathom the amount of wasted time for intros, credits, commercial breaks (even without commercials) it feels a daunting task.

So....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I wanted to call out this post by KTrain. Its too old so I cant thank it, but I did want to follow up.

Disclaimer: Not Obi-Wan related.

Other than 'The Bad Batch' I didnt watch the cartoon shows. For a variety of reasons, I have nothing against cartoons, I dont consider them childish, hell, I still like comic books so what the hell?

They were just unwieldy, jumped all over the place, diverted the story and had throwaway episodes, etc and there was just too much content.

Whoever this guy who did these cuts is, he is brilliant.

The way he stitched these together into self-contained continuous storylines in film-cut format, cutting out extraneous crap like commercial breaks, credits, intros, side-stories, etc is fantastic as well as separating the wheat from the chaff.

He still gives you the opportunity to watch side-stories, but if you dont care about certain elements like Padme's adventures, Jar-Jar (shudder), droid adventures, etc. You can still make your way through the series understanding everything thats going on.

Filoni had restrictions and a format to follow to make a show that was palatable for TV, syndication, etc. This guy doesnt have to follow those rules.

So if you havent seen these shows and are interested I would highly recommend going the route of watching this guy's content.

Its well organized, well thought out and completely relevant and coherent and cuts away all the unimportant crap and just gets to the meat of the content. Its really good.

And finally...Jar-Jar Binks should be fired into the Sun. Any Sun. I'm not picky.
https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpo...&postcount=568

Check it out. For me its not only the best, but the only way to watch the animated shows. If it wasnt for this I doubt I'd have ever bothered, but it was well worth it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2022, 09:18 PM   #1648
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

There are story lines that you can really try to skip in clone wars. Even though they usually have something in them worthwhile.

I mean even in a really bad story arc like the Season 5 Droid story a 4 episode series in the last episode we meet Gregor and see him as a Clone Commander just open this enormous can of whoop a$$. Then we later see him in Rebels.

Old 10-12-2022, 04:54 PM   #1649
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well alright then. Andor decided to just go all-out awesome this week.

Dialed to 11.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2022, 06:06 PM   #1650
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Yep, easily the best episode so far!
Old 10-13-2022, 07:51 AM   #1651
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great episode! This is by far one of the best shows on TV right now.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 08:18 AM   #1652
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Great episode, I just loved the Tie Fighter launch sequence to build the drama, and three brave pilots died pursuing bank robbers.

Overall a really great hour of TV, Was the twist something that we couldn't see a mile away? Not really.

I think they made the rebels pretty unsympathetic in this by basically brutalizing a kid and holding a gun to his head.

Now we are going to see the empire at its most brutal. Will they focus on using their vast resources to hunt down the rebel cell? Sure, but the first focus was how do we use reprisals to up the fear on civilians.

Great episode.

Old 10-13-2022, 08:56 AM   #1653
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

So that was
Spoiler!
right?

Loved The Eye, very cool effect.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 09:23 AM   #1654
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
So that was
Spoiler!
right?
No: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0371342/
Old 10-13-2022, 09:25 AM   #1655
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, am I the only one that though it was him making a cameo?
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2022, 10:50 AM   #1656
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It crossed my mind as well, but more of "that guy looks a lot like Cranston" than actually thinking it was him.

If Cranston is in Star Wars, it would have to be some scene chewing villain or whacky side character like Sedaris to make it worth the use of him.
Old 10-13-2022, 11:10 AM   #1657
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Nope I looked at the actor and thought man that's Cranston.

Old 10-13-2022, 12:57 PM   #1658
soreshins
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Nope I looked at the actor and thought man that's Cranston.
It’s actually David Hayman. Scottish actor - been in loads of things back in the UK. Mostly crime dramas if i recall.
soreshins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 12:59 PM   #1659
soreshins
First Line Centre

Exp:

The whole sequence at the dam was filmed in the western highlands of Scotland
soreshins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 01:20 PM   #1660
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Best episode so far. Loved it! The only part I thought was a bit silly: