Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 04:00 PM   #3261
Dr. Doom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have my doubts that it's about the Flames unwilling to trade Bennett without a good return. Realistically I can't possibly see any buyers at this stage...

He finished the preaseason with very little ice ice time and don't think the Flames management team or any other GM doesn't see what we see.

TBH he looks completely disinterested out there...

I havent seen such a flop in a Flames uniform since Rico Fata tbh and there was no market there either... sorry for bringing it up!
Old 10-06-2018, 04:14 PM   #3262
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4(aq) View Post
I come up to peters before the game and just say “my line starts”. Then at the faceoff I drop my mitts and fight someone. Then on the way to the box I point at peters and say “put me on the powerplay”.

Dramatic? Hell yah. But otherwise the flames are going to kill his effing career
Is this the plot of the next Mighty Ducks movie?
Old 10-06-2018, 04:17 PM   #3263
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doom View Post
I have my doubts that it's about the Flames unwilling to trade Bennett without a good return. Realistically I can't possibly see any buyers at this stage...

He finished the preaseason with very little ice ice time and don't think the Flames management team or any other GM doesn't see what we see.

I havent seen such a flop in a Flames uniform since Rico Fata tbh and there was no market there either... sorry for bringing it up!
Wow couldn't disagree more.

I think a kid that plays physical and takes too many penalties is likely trying too hard.
Old 10-06-2018, 04:51 PM   #3264
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Same points as always on both sides.
How much time did they get on the third line with Hathaway.
Rinse, repeat
Monahan and Gaudreau have been carrying 3/4 wingers since their rookie years. Monahan produced as a rookie with over the hill wingers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahan For Mayor For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2018, 04:51 PM   #3265
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

He definitely doesn’t look disinterested... if anything it appears that he is trying too hard at times. I don’t know what you’re seeing that makes him look disinterested to you... he doesn’t play a lazy game at all.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2018, 05:04 PM   #3266
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Same points as always on both sides.
How much time did they get on the third line with Hathaway.
Rinse, repeat
What has Bennett done to scoff at playing with Hathaway? He is barely a better NHLer at this point himself
Old 10-06-2018, 05:31 PM   #3267
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Matthews is getting over 10...probably 11+
Marner in the 8 range
JT at 11...do the math
If JT got 11, Matthews won't get more than that. Tavares took less to be in Toronto, and he is the biggest free agent in NHL history. Matthews isn't going to get more just because Peter Chiarelli sucks at his job.

Toronto should wait for Marner to score 70 points before he gets Draisaitl (lol) money. He probably comes in somewhere between $6.5-$7.5 - he's not a generational talent.

$27M between those three seems.manageable.

Sign Nylander now, and trade the lesser of Marner/Nylander for the defenseman they need. Doesn't seem like a terrible position. Their window is open for the next seven years.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:35 PM   #3268
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
What has Bennett done to scoff at playing with Hathaway? He is barely a better NHLer at this point himself
Now you are being silly
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2018, 05:37 PM   #3269
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon45

Quote:
Everyone should scoff at playing with Hathaway, Hathaway is terrible.

Bennett has 60 more points and 143 more NHL games under his belt, and he's four years younger.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:44 PM   #3270
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anthony Stolarz cleared waivers today.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:22 PM   #3271
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
Monahan and Gaudreau have been carrying 3/4 wingers since their rookie years. Monahan produced as a rookie with over the hill wingers.
I know Monahan has grown in production from year 2 forward. And has developed better than Bennett. But please consider the facts. Your statement above is wrong

Compare their rookie seasons.
Monahan has 21 G 34 points in 75 games, Bennett had 18 G 36 pts in 77. Comparable.
Monahan had among his line mates Hudler who was not over the hill then, he was a 50+ point producer. And sometimes Stempniak and Cammalleri , who were both over 30 points in the lockout shortened season.
Bennett had usually Backlund and Frolik

Monahan - Year 2, Hartley puts Monahan with Gaudreau as his linemate, and Hudler.
Bennett - Year 2, Gulutzan puts Bennett with Versteeg, Brouwer, Chiasson, Bollig. Now there are the over the hill wingers you are looking for.

Tell me again that coaching and situation don’t have anything to do with the success of the player.

You know Johnny is special, right? Do you really think that Monahan and Bennett have been put in the same position to succeed?

A guy on the third line playing with plugs is not going to put up first line numbers.

Bennett doesn’t suck, and the Flames have been unsuccessful in developing the asset.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2018, 06:35 PM   #3272
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I know Monahan has grown in production from year 2 forward. And has developed better than Bennett. But please consider the facts. Your statement above is wrong

Compare their rookie seasons.
Monahan has 21 G 34 points in 75 games, Bennett had 18 G 36 pts in 77. Comparable.
Monahan had among his line mates Hudler who was not over the hill then, he was a 50+ point producer. And sometimes Stempniak and Cammalleri , who were both over 30 points in the lockout shortened season.
Bennett had usually Backlund and Frolik

Monahan - Year 2, Hartley puts Monahan with Gaudreau as his linemate, and Hudler.
Bennett - Year 2, Gulutzan puts Bennett with Versteeg, Brouwer, Chiasson, Bollig. Now there are the over the hill wingers you are looking for.

Tell me again that coaching and situation don’t have anything to do with the success of the player.

You know Johnny is special, right? Do you really think that Monahan and Bennett have been put in the same position to succeed?

A guy on the third line playing with plugs is not going to put up first line numbers.

Bennett doesn’t suck, and the Flames have been unsuccessful in developing the asset.
I was going to use Mikael Backlund as a counterexample to this point.
He spent a lot of time on the 3rd and 4th lines when he was just started to develop.

But really, Backlund is more similar to Bennett than I thought. In Backlund's first 4 seasons with the Flames, he only had 62 points in 170 games.
In Bennett's first 3 seasons, he had 88 points in in 240 games.

Really, these totals aren't that far off in terms of production. Bennett arguably had to player in deeper forward groups, resulting in stiffer competition.
Backlund wasn't a great player until the 15-16, when he was 26 years old.
I'm glad we didn't give up on Backlund. I remember when Boomer was saying that he didn't think Backlund would be in the NHL by 2015.

Bennett will spend more time with skilled guys this year. Whether it's Frolik, Dube, Ryan, Czarnik, Neal, or Jankowski, his line-mates will likely have more skill than they did last year. Will he be playing with Monahan and Gaudreau? No, probably not. But he should at least improve on last year.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2018, 06:35 PM   #3273
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
TBH this means nothing...
Old 10-06-2018, 06:52 PM   #3274
Dr. Doom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Wow couldn't disagree more.

I think a kid that plays physical and takes too many penalties is likely trying too hard.
You're right that didn't come out right.
I think it's me that's becoming completely disinterested in his game.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:56 PM   #3275
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

HNIC:

Nylander is holding firm on his ask for a long term.
Bridge deal hasn't seriously contemplated.
Nylander can minimize loss of salary by having most of this year's salary paid out in a signing bonus.
Leafs are focused on $6 or $6.5 mil AAV

Marner is going to wait until Matthews sign

Ducks are not close to signing Ritchie.
Ducks offering a 3 year take it or leave it deal

Melnyk gave an impassioned speech to the league saying he wants to keep the Senators

Steve Mason may retire.
Was offered a low contract as a backup, but turned it down
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2018, 07:03 PM   #3276
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Friedman also said he believes that Matthews will sign for more money than Tavares.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:10 PM   #3277
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
If JT got 11, Matthews won't get more than that. Tavares took less to be in Toronto, and he is the biggest free agent in NHL history. Matthews isn't going to get more just because Peter Chiarelli sucks at his job.

Toronto should wait for Marner to score 70 points before he gets Draisaitl (lol) money. He probably comes in somewhere between $6.5-$7.5 - he's not a generational talent.

$27M between those three seems.manageable.

Sign Nylander now, and trade the lesser of Marner/Nylander for the defenseman they need. Doesn't seem like a terrible position. Their window is open for the next seven years.
Are you really trying to argue 27M vs. 30M? I think you are low but still.

Leafs are gonna be capped out soon and have some decisions to make there is no debate even if 84 point Tavares is such a great guy for only taking 11M of cap space.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:31 PM   #3278
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Friedman also said he believes that Matthews will sign for more money than Tavares.
That team is going to be more top heavy than the Oilers. You can see they still aren't a complete team with all these players as they can't play defense worth a lick.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:41 PM   #3279
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't understand why both sides don't use David Pastrnak as a comparable. Cap has gone up a bit, but Pastrnak is a better player...
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2018, 11:26 PM   #3280
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

soooo.... hate to get into this after a win but who are realistic goalie targets this early in the season? I think we’re badly going to need a 1A to Smiths 1B because his play so far is worrisome.
Closed Thread