Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 07:04 PM   #1021
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
It's a terrible trade because this team did not see what they had in house and got an overrated, yes Hamonic is overrated, stay at home defensmen. Team would've been way better off promoting Kulak and Andersson while using the picks we used to get Lazar and Hamonic on a top6 forward. Opportunity missed and this trade may go along with the Brouwer signing as one of Treliving's biggest blunders. I mean how did this guy cost two 2nd's on top of the 1st?? Islanders fleeced the Flames
GARTH SNOW fleeced Tre!
Old 12-05-2017, 07:57 PM   #1022
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Would have been better off just reisgning Engelland and keeping our picks
Old 12-05-2017, 08:01 PM   #1023
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

It was a head scratcher when it was made and I'm not the least bit surprised it's turned out this way.
The Following User Says Thank You to locsofblu For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2017, 08:08 PM   #1024
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
It's a terrible trade because this team did not see what they had in house and got an overrated, yes Hamonic is overrated, stay at home defensmen. Team would've been way better off promoting Kulak and Andersson while using the picks we used to get Lazar and Hamonic on a top6 forward. Opportunity missed and this trade may go along with the Brouwer signing as one of Treliving's biggest blunders. I mean how did this guy cost two 2nd's on top of the 1st?? Islanders fleeced the Flames
Little early for such a strong reaction, no?

Awfully easy to sit in the seat you're in & say Kulak and Andersson were the better bet, but the fact is a number of people who know a lot more about hockey than you ever will placed their bet on Hamonic.

Just be sure to acknowledge these sorts of rants when the Flames are headed to the playoffs & Hamonic is a solid contributor.

Further, until any of those draft picks used to acquire Hamonic turn out to be anything more than what he is, your argument is pure speculation.

As for Brouwer, he had scored 7 seasons in a row of at least 17 goals & just coming off a solid playoff performance. Treliving did what most GM's who are trying to win would have done. No GM doesn't have a few blemishes on the record. It's part of the job.

Yes, the Flames are saddled with Brouwer. Take a look around the league. Every single team probably has two or three contracts they would love to get rid of.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:16 PM   #1025
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Would have been better off just reisgning Engelland and keeping our picks
Engelland was a free agent going home to Vegas.

It wasn’t in the cards.
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2017, 08:22 PM   #1026
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Engelland was a free agent going home to Vegas.

It wasn’t in the cards.
This is correct.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:56 PM   #1027
Flamenfame
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Hamonic looks like junk , slow not nearly as physical as advertised , we got took and might end up a lottery team and giving Islanders great assets.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamenfame For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2017, 01:33 AM   #1028
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm frustrated as well but can we wait til he's played a little more than 24 games as a Flame before we judge the guy.

GG's system seems to be especially hard for dmen to adapt to. Not only that but our whole dcore is struggling right now, especially the 2nd pairing. But I'd argue that Brodie has struggled the most on the backend out of anyone. People can argue it's because of Hamonic or because he's playing on the left side but I don't know if it is that simple.

Most of Brodie's mistakes have been made when he is scrambling (i.e. hit puck into own net by swinging stick while lying on the ice, swatting at a saucer pass and hitting it into own net) or bad luck (i.e. Puck rolling off stick blade when making a pass behind the net).

I'm getting off the topic of Hamonic directly, but my point is give it some time before you call the trade an absolute bust. Hamonic has not lost his value around the league because of his brief time here. Give the guy a bit more runway to work with and until those picks are made we can't even discuss what we missed out on.

The whole thing needs some more time, this isn't a Brouwer situation where the guy is over 30 and regressing. He's just struggling to adapt to the system and in general, just like the rest of the team.

I've actually liked Hamonic so far and would like to see what he can do once the backend stabilizes itself. If by seasons end it doesn't stabilize then ok Tre was wrong, but please wait longer than 24 games played.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:04 AM   #1029
nemanja2306
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Fire GG and hire Sutter, I can guarantee you'll see a better Hamonic.

Hamonic was labeled as a top 4 guy throughout his career. Brodie as a top 2 defenceman. That didn't happen without reason. So, before we do something rash and trade these two, I'd like to see them with a good coach for a change.
The Following User Says Thank You to nemanja2306 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2017, 08:20 AM   #1030
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I was sort of kidding with the hyperbole, I agree that Gio's the best blueliner on the team (and probably top 3 in the Western Conference). Hamilton will get to #1D status though, and is already way way better than so many people on here give him credit for that I always want to just be ridiculous and unreasonable in the other direction sometimes.
I would like to see Hamilton do it without Giordano before we annoit him. Lots of people thought Brodie was better than Giordano when they were paired together as well.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:22 AM   #1031
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would too, but my hesitation in splitting them is that I think he's gotten better (particularly without the puck) simply by playing with Giordano and that trend will hopefully continue.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 12-06-2017, 08:38 AM   #1032
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What frustrates me about this deal is the Flames have invested heavily in drafting young D. Now there's no room to play them. Andersson looks ready, but there's no spot for him.

Something needs to change on the back end for the Flames. I'm sure Treliving is trying to deal a Dman, but he's not in a position of strength right now.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:54 AM   #1033
Bar-Down
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just trade one of our top 4 D (Brodie or Hamonic) for a top 6 forward.

Buy out Brouwer in the offseason.

Sign OEL as a free agent.

Problem solved.
Old 12-06-2017, 08:57 AM   #1034
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is a massive gap in quality between Brodie and Hamonic, let's not kid ourselves.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2017, 09:02 AM   #1035
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

I’ll take Hamonics career sample size over a 25 game stretch in a system some of the most elite defencemen in the world are also struggling under.
This will be a flames win when looking back assuming the system changes or all of a sudden the current one clicks for every guy and I hope we aren’t waiting for it to click.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Travis Munroe For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2017, 09:05 AM   #1036
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hamonic will have an Engelland-like career revival with the Flames, it'll happen sooner with Travis though. Just give it time. Engelland struggled early too and a lot of us wanted to staple him to the pressbox as well. Travis already had a handful of games where he looked fantastic while mediocre in the rest. Over time the number of "fantastic" games will grow to heavily outweigh the "mediocre" ones.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:06 AM   #1037
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bar-Down View Post
Just trade one of our top 4 D (Brodie or Hamonic) for a top 6 forward.

Buy out Brouwer in the offseason.

Sign OEL as a free agent.

Problem solved.
Once people see how much d men will go for this offseason, Tre will look brilliant. OEL will be making more than Brodie and Hamonic combined. I’ll take a Brodie and Hamonic potential vs OEL potential anyway in the world of salary caps.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Old 12-06-2017, 09:20 AM   #1038
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemanja2306 View Post
Fire GG and hire Sutter, I can guarantee you'll see a better Hamonic.

Hamonic was labeled as a top 4 guy throughout his career. Brodie as a top 2 defenceman. That didn't happen without reason. So, before we do something rash and trade these two, I'd like to see them with a good coach for a change.

Do you really think Sutter would be jumping at the chance to come back here? The current roster does not suite his style at all and indications pointed to the recent departure being on very sour terms. Throw in the fact that the same cronies Ken King/ownership group are in in place and I do not see a fit at all.

Lastly, there is no way Treliving is ready to jettison his hand picked coach which would all but signal the beginning of the end for his tenure with the franchise. If any move is made it will be in the off season after the dust settles on a disappointing season. This is the group that will have to get it done minus any potential trade that can be made between now and the deadline.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 12-06-2017 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:48 AM   #1039
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

What's odd to me is the timing of this topic. He had a pretty rough start, but has been pretty rock solid in the last ten games.

First 14 games

CF% 49%
HDSC% 46%

Last 10 games

CF% 53%
HDSC% 51%

This may not be the time to panic ...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2017, 09:50 AM   #1040
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
What's odd to me is the timing of this topic. He had a pretty rough start, but has been pretty rock solid in the last ten games.
I guess people are pissed that we spent a ton of assets on him and the defense still has been pretty bad at stretches. Completely unfair to blame it on him though IMO, I think he's played pretty well.
Closed Thread