Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 11:33 AM   #1001
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

How about we try these pairing

Gio - Brodie
Gio - Hamilton
Gio - Hamonic

Since clearly all 3 of our other top 4 D are terrible when not playing with Gio.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2017, 11:52 AM   #1002
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
How about we try these pairing

Gio - Brodie
Gio - Hamilton
Gio - Hamonic

Since clearly all 3 of our other top 4 D are terrible when not playing with Gio.
Seems to be the case and is a cautious tale for those that want to move Gio out because he is old. Over the past 4-5 years Gio and his partner (Brodie or Dougie) have been referred to as the best pair in the league when studying their numbers. He is truly an elite Dman.

Maybe trying Hamonic with him is worth a shot and give the Brodie-Hamilton pair a look?

If the Flames feel Stone or Anderson can jump into the 4 Spot next year it could be worth pairing whichever of Hamilton or Hamonic with Gio to boost their trade value this summer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2017, 12:12 PM   #1003
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
Flames got their 4th round pick tho, incoming superstar
That was the blueprint for Gaudreau. Just have to make sure you make those picks count and not waste them on big players that can't skate as this team has been guilty of a few times in recent history.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:22 PM   #1004
IrishSpring2013
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
That was the blueprint for Gaudreau. Just have to make sure you make those picks count and not waste them on big players that can't skate as this team has been guilty of a few times in recent history.
ya.. maybe thats fair.. buuuuuut... thye drafted hunter smith.. then next year drafted Eat Bread.. same draft they got Falkovsky, they picked adam fox.. and tiny matthew phillips..
its been a fair, balance.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:31 PM   #1005
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Seems to be the case and is a cautious tale for those that want to move Gio out because he is old. Over the past 4-5 years Gio and his partner (Brodie or Dougie) have been referred to as the best pair in the league when studying their numbers. He is truly an elite Dman.

Maybe trying Hamonic with him is worth a shot and give the Brodie-Hamilton pair a look?
I wouldn't mind seeing:

Gio - Hamonic
Brodie - Stone
Kulak - Hamilton

I feel like Hamilton can carry his own pairing in less tough minutes, and I'm not sure Stone/Hamonic can do that.

Gio and Hamonic feel like they would be a good shutdown pair to me, I think Hamonic would thrive with a more stable partner.

Brodie and Stone aren't usually great together, but Brodie has looked much better with Stone than Hamonic this year.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:21 PM   #1006
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I'm not really much for putting Hamilton, objectively the best all around defenseman on the team, on the third pairing. He already gets too few minutes as a result of not being on PP1.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 12-04-2017, 03:30 PM   #1007
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Yeah I'm not really much for putting Hamilton, objectively the best all around defenseman on the team, on the third pairing. He already gets too few minutes as a result of not being on PP1.
Agree there is no way Hamilton should be on the third pair. He should also be the top PP right shot and Stone on the second unit.

Gio is still ahead of Dougie by quite a bit. If they swapped Hamilton’s and Hamonic I would wager Gio gets more from Hamonic than Dougie does from Brodie
Old 12-04-2017, 04:01 PM   #1008
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Cool. You mind showing that to me please? I sure don't buy that at the moment.

For me it's Giordano, and really it's pretty simple. Every single player has better numbers with him.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2017, 04:05 PM   #1009
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Its scary to think how much worse our defense would be without Gio's efforts in basically every game so far this season.

Gio
Everyone else
Brodie
Bart
Old 12-04-2017, 05:15 PM   #1010
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hamilton isn't that great defensively. Usable but not one of the top guys. It's one reason neither Hartley or Gulutzan has used him much on the PK.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:35 PM   #1011
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post

For me it's Giordano, and really it's pretty simple. Every single player has better numbers with him.
Hamilton has great possession stats. For some, that is pretty much the end of the conversation.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:40 PM   #1012
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Islanders have 35 points right now and are 1 point behind CBJ for 1st in the Metropolitan.

Quite impressive when they traded Hamonic away to Calgary and signed nobody. They promoted from within and Adam Pelech is in their Top 4 this season after playing half the year last season with the Isles and has 10 points so far.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:42 PM   #1013
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Islanders have 35 points right now and are 1 point behind CBJ for 1st in the Metropolitan.

Quite impressive when they traded Hamonic away to Calgary and signed nobody. They promoted from within and Adam Pelech is in their Top 4 this season after playing half the year last season with the Isles and has 10 points so far.
Addition by subtraction? Hamonic was -21 last year in only 49 games.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 12-05-2017, 10:30 AM   #1014
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post

I was sort of kidding with the hyperbole, I agree that Gio's the best blueliner on the team (and probably top 3 in the Western Conference). Hamilton will get to #1D status though, and is already way way better than so many people on here give him credit for that I always want to just be ridiculous and unreasonable in the other direction sometimes.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2017, 10:37 AM   #1015
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think all the defensemen on this team are better than they have looked this season. Team defense is a collective team issue that starts at coaching and ends with the players.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2017, 10:54 AM   #1016
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree completely with Estrada here. I do think that before deciding if this was a terrible trade or not, I would love to see a new coach brought in and then evaluating how Hamonic looks. The D as a unit are not playing well.

Brodie went from "arguable most important core piece" and "contributes more to winning than any other player" to "send him into the sun" bad.

One thing I really liked about the trade originally was that Hamonic was being utilized often as a first pairing guy, but slotted here on the 2nd pairing. It is hard to judge Hamonic right now as I don't think he has adjusted to the system well, seeing as there are other defencemen (like his partner) that seemingly haven't been able to adjust well still.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:02 AM   #1017
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

No one looks good consistently. Stone maybe is the only one. Gio was bad last night. Its a team problem
Old 12-05-2017, 11:03 AM   #1018
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Argh, please remove the Trade tags. My heart skips a beat every time I open up CP and see that first.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:05 AM   #1019
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So how long until GG actually changes things? How many more losses and boneheaded plays can our D group make?

Do it already, get Hamonic with Gio as the top pairing, get Dougie and Brodie playing together. Just try it.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:12 AM   #1020
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a terrible trade because this team did not see what they had in house and got an overrated, yes Hamonic is overrated, stay at home defensmen. Team would've been way better off promoting Kulak and Andersson while using the picks we used to get Lazar and Hamonic on a top6 forward. Opportunity missed and this trade may go along with the Brouwer signing as one of Treliving's biggest blunders. I mean how did this guy cost two 2nd's on top of the 1st?? Islanders fleeced the Flames

Last edited by Beninho; 12-05-2017 at 11:15 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread