Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2011, 10:53 AM   #1
Gozer
Not the one...

Exp:
Default Is the War-on-Drugs about Race?

Very little of this is my personal work.

Links are buried in spoilers to reduce clutter.

I wasn't really blown away by these graphs because I'm not really surprised by the results - I was familiar with the underlying stats. But what about what lies underneath them?

The young male dropout aspect is somewhat understandable, and likely has some ties to mental health issues, but why blacks?

Quote:
Incarceration & social inequality by Bruce Western & Becky Pettit

In 1980, around 10 percent of young African American men
who dropped out of high school were in prison. By 2008, this incarceration rate had climbed to 37 percent, an astonishing level of institutionalization given that the average incarceration rate in the
general population was 0.76 of 1 percent.
Because blacks break the law more, right? Obviously.

Fact: Black youths arrested for drug possession are 48 times more likely to wind up in prison than white youths arrested for the same crime under the same circumstances.
Spoiler!

Fact: Black and Latino men are three times more likely than white men to be stopped by the police and have their cars searched – even though white men are four times more likely to have weapons or drugs.
Spoiler!

Fact: Students of colour are more than twice as likely to be suspended or expelled from school even though they are not much more likely to break school rules than whites.
Spoiler!

Brief timeline of American race relations:

* 1776-1865: slavery (sucked for black people)
* 1865-1877: reconstruction (still sucked for black people)
* 1877-1965: jim crow era (STILL sucked for black people)
* 1965-2011: civil rights era / obama (yay??)

We live in the age of a black president. In popular discourse, we are a postracial people; the plight of racial minorities is a thing of the past.

To many well-intentioned people this seems to be true. We are certainly a nation in which it is less acceptable to be openly racially bigoted (kinda) than it once was. Lynchings are way down. And, anecdotally at least, young people are less likely to fraternize and socialize in their own individual communities. It is probably fair to say that there is probably less naked, open racial prejudice now than there was decades ago, generally speaking.

But individual bigotry is only one kind of racism, and, while noxious, perhaps the least dangerous sort. Far more deadly is institutionalized racism: racism built into the structures and woven into the fabric of society, hidden racism that undergirds and supports the rest of society, that we do not perceive to be racist when in fact that is what it is and the effect that it has.

Arguments are buried in spoilers for organization.

I think I've exceeded my word-count limit here [EDIT-had to break this into several posts - read below for more], so just a few more quick hits:
links upon request
-the private prison industry assisted in drafting the Arizona immigration law
-The federal judiciary is in something like open rebellion over a new law addressing the sentences to be meted out to people convicted of selling crack cocaine.
A couple of weeks ago, for instance, a judge in Massachusetts said he found it “unendurable” to have to impose sentences that are “both unjust and racist.”

-5/500 sentencing, being caught with 5 grams of crack cocaine carries the same sentence as 500 grams of powder. Use is sharply divided by wealth. Furthermore, crack users in America were made up of 52% whites and 38% blacks, African Americans accounted for 88% of those sentenced for crack cocaine offenses, while whites accounted for just 4.1%

-Whites visit the emergency room visits for overdoses at the triple the rate that blacks do

-the record drop in unemployment among non-college educated black me in the 90s had nothing to do with increased employment... as everyone else got jobs, non-college educated black men just went to prison.

-Jails (allegedly) segregate based on race for the purpose of directing violence at other inmates as a control measure

Are you subconsciously racist? (10minute game, NSFW)
http://backhand.uchicago.edu/Center/ShooterEffect/

Are Americans?

tl;dr
Selective enforcement of drug crimes is the crux of the issue.
Drug use is relatively constant throughout racial and socio-economic divisions.

Last edited by Gozer; 04-26-2011 at 11:00 AM.
Gozer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gozer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
Gozer
Not the one...

Exp:

The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness by Michelle Alexander
Spoiler!
Old 04-26-2011, 10:56 AM   #3
Gozer
Not the one...

Exp:

The Prison-Industrial Complex: Slavery For The 21st Century
Spoiler!

Example:
http://www.utwatch.org/archives/work...o2_prison.html

How pervasive is this 'enslavement' ?
Spoiler!
Old 04-26-2011, 10:57 AM   #4
Gozer
Not the one...

Exp:

Maybe black people need to work harder, or be smarter with their money;
Spoiler!
Old 04-26-2011, 10:58 AM   #5
Gozer
Not the one...

Exp:

The bloodiest prison in America
Spoiler!
Old 04-26-2011, 11:07 AM   #6
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was going to comment on this but I don't have an hour to dedicate to reading all the data/articles/reports you've posted.

I did skim a bit though and don't buy some of the data. For example, I just don't believe that white men are four times more likely to be carrying drugs or weapons in their cars than black men or latino men. I also wouldn't believe that black men are four times more likely to be carrying that white men.

There may be four times as many white gunowners in the states than black gunowners (legal or otherwise), but that is a very different thing than saying that a white man is four times more likely to be carrying one than a black man.

As such - I'm not terribly interested in what you're doing. Interpreting stats with an obvious agenda trashes credibility.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:10 AM   #7
Gozer
Not the one...

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickMcGeough View Post
As such - I'm not terribly interested in what you're doing. Interpreting stats with an obvious agenda trashes credibility.
I did not interpret the stat (for what it's worth), and I do confess to being familiar with the conclusion only. Though I must admit I am discouraged that you would discount the entire thread with such little effort - and make the baffling conclusion that I extrapolated gun ownership into phony crime statistics.

Last edited by Gozer; 04-26-2011 at 11:27 AM. Reason: made/make - I can't decide
Gozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:17 AM   #8
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, my black armed, and white armed response times were pretty similar, within 2 millisecond.
My black unarmed, and white unarmed were about 175 milliseconds apart.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:19 AM   #9
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I was going to comment on this but I don't have an hour to dedicate to reading all the data/articles/reports you've posted.

I did skim a bit though and don't buy some of the data. For example, I just don't believe that white men are four times more likely to be carrying drugs or weapons in their cars than black men or latino men. I also wouldn't believe that black men are four times more likely to be carrying that white men.

There may be four times as many white gunowners in the states than black gunowners (legal or otherwise), but that is a very different thing than saying that a white man is four times more likely to be carrying one than a black man.

Translation: Despite not having and not providing any evidence to the contrary, I don't like what this overwhelming evidence suggests so I'm going to reject it out of hand.

That kind of attitude is a HUGE part of the reason this type of institutionalized racism continues to exist. Classic 'head in the sand'.
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:22 AM   #10
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Wire's strong conclusion is: YES
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:24 AM   #11
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Translation:

I willfully remain ignorant so that it doesn't contradict with my existing held beliefs which are based on anecdotes and whatever other stories I've conjured up for myself.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:30 AM   #12
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsuffering View Post
Translation: Despite not having and not providing any evidence to the contrary, I don't like what this overwhelming evidence suggests so I'm going to reject it out of hand.

That kind of attitude is a HUGE part of the reason this type of institutionalized racism continues to exist. Classic 'head in the sand'.
I wouldn't say that this is necessarily someone burying their head in the sand. Some of those stats seem pretty unlikely and simply quoting a source does not make them "facts". At the same time, people might not care enough to put in the amount of time that an adequate amount of research would require to post an proper rebuttal.

Personally, my position is that racial prejudice undoubtedly plays a role in the inequalities amongst races in crime statistics. However, I don't believe that this is the only factor. Just look at how the Japanese reacted after the tsunami disaster. Despite the devastation and destruction, I didn't see anyone looting from stores. Compare that to the scene in New Orleans a few years ago and you have a pretty stark contrast. I think a part of the racial inequity that we see is based on cultural differences (not racial differences).
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:34 AM   #13
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Translation:

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:41 AM   #14
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark2 View Post
I wouldn't say that this is necessarily someone burying their head in the sand. Some of those stats seem pretty unlikely and simply quoting a source does not make them "facts". At the same time, people might not care enough to put in the amount of time that an adequate amount of research would require to post an proper rebuttal.

Personally, my position is that racial prejudice undoubtedly plays a role in the inequalities amongst races in crime statistics. However, I don't believe that this is the only factor. Just look at how the Japanese reacted after the tsunami disaster. Despite the devastation and destruction, I didn't see anyone looting from stores. Compare that to the scene in New Orleans a few years ago and you have a pretty stark contrast. I think a part of the racial inequity that we see is based on cultural differences (not racial differences).
So it's part of black culture to loot?
Old 04-26-2011, 11:42 AM   #15
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you dont deal in world of drugs you wont get caught in the war on drugs.

The drug life intices so many because its easy money in a society - white, black, latino, azin, etc who are looking for the quick and easy buck.

The erosion of the American family is the reason for this, not some super secret white suprememsict agenda to lock everyone up. White or Black, if you have money you can massage the judicial system.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:44 AM   #16
Gozer
Not the one...

Exp:

Quote:
I wouldn't say that this is necessarily someone burying their head in the sand. Some of those stats seem pretty unlikely and simply quoting a source does not make them "facts".
The unlikelihood of the stats is what makes them an important element to the discussion IMO.

Additional links to the being-pulled-over stat:
Quote:
But the study found that blacks and Hispanics were at least 1.5 times more likely to be stopped, and at least twice as likely to be searched.

The study also found that once searched, whites were more likely to have drugs and other contraband on them then blacks or Hispanics.
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Quote:
At the same time, people might not care enough to put in the amount of time that an adequate amount of research would require to post an proper rebuttal.
I'm sensitive to that, which is why I am efforting to balance documentation of my arguments with the time demands of a four-thousand word post.

As an unemployed bum, I'm willing to chase support for arguments that other posters don't have the time or inclination to. Beats cleaning.
PM me if you don't want to speculate in the thread.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:45 AM   #17
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
If you dont deal in world of drugs you wont get caught in the war on drugs.

The drug life intices so many because its easy money in a society - white, black, latino, azin, etc who are looking for the quick and easy buck.

The erosion of the American family is the reason for this, not some super secret white suprememsict agenda to lock everyone up.
Did you read anything that was posted? It's clear that if you're white, affluent and live in the suburbs you can deal in the world of drugs and likely NOT get caught in the war on drugs.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:45 AM   #18
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

It started off an attack on the Mexicans in the 30's, then the Blacks in the 50's then the Whites (hippes) in the 70's. The War on Drugs, that has and will never work, is all about targetting a certain group of people. And now that the large unions are involved it will never stop. Doesn't matter if it's Marijuana, Cocaine, Meth, etc.
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:56 AM   #19
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

In response to Gozer:

Quote:
But the study found that blacks and Hispanics were at least 1.5 times more likely to be stopped, and at least twice as likely to be searched.

The study also found that once searched, whites were more likely to have drugs and other contraband on them then blacks or Hispanics
This makes more sense to me. It sounds like when white people are pulled over and are searched, the criteria for doing so is generally higher. Therefore, the more readily apparent possession of drugs and firearms are, the more likely it is that they are in possession of them. On the other hand, if black people are being pulled over and searched and the criteria for doing so is lower, then chances are less likely that they will be in possession of drugs and/or firearms.

The way you first quoted this made it sound like (at least to me) white people are 4 times more likely to be in possession of drugs. I guess it all depends on how you frame an argument.
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ark2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2011, 11:59 AM   #20
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozer View Post
-5/500 sentencing, being caught with 5 grams of crack cocaine carries the same sentence as 500 grams of powder. Use is sharply divided by wealth. Furthermore, crack users in America were made up of 52% whites and 38% blacks, African Americans accounted for 88% of those sentenced for crack cocaine offenses, while whites accounted for just 4.1%

Those numbers don't mean a heck of a lot standing alone. The questions I would ask are:

Of the black or white people sentenced for crack offences, how many had prior rap sheets or how many were busted for crack while committing another crimes? Are black people statistically more likely to be repeat offenders and therefore get sentenced to jail terms instead of alternate punishments? Are they more likely to get busted on other types of crimes where the judge might not go easy on them?

I don't know the answers, and maybe it is addressed somewhere... I can't read through it all.

The war on drugs is useless though. If you want to win a war on drugs, then you need to first win a war on poverty.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 04-26-2011 at 12:02 PM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
black , crime , drugs , jim crow , prison