Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-23-2009, 07:42 PM   #21
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Just drove past that way.

Con: You are as far away from the centre of Calgary as humanly possible.

Pro: Ring Road!
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:03 PM   #22
ricoFlame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger777 View Post
the fields where the baseball diamonds are now is a future school site in Kincora
oh, my bad. I guess they will put some kind of elementary school in there eventually.
ricoFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:14 PM   #23
81flames
Draft Pick

I just moved into Evanston a couple weeks ago. The location is great. It's far enough away that you get peace and quiet, but it's easy to access shopping, Deerfoot, Costco, etc.
I don't have kids, so I never looked into the schools or playground situation.
81flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:27 PM   #24
Stillman16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post

Actually, you can be MUCH farther SOUTH of the centre of Calgary!

But who says being close to downtown is a Pro anyway?
Stillman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:35 PM   #25
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Another interesting thing that I forgot to mention about the Kincora/Evanston/Creekside area is the big development planned for Sage Hill, just down the street. Supposed to be a big theater/shopping/hotel/conference type multi-function complex "Calgary's First Open Concept Shopping Centre" (check out www.sagehillcrossing.com)

Sounds quite interesting.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:51 PM   #26
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah, there is ton of space, tons of building/expansion potential. I have delivered pizza to some of the houses/condo's. Really nice area, real nice. Really sweet big houses.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:59 PM   #27
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillman16 View Post
Actually, you can be MUCH farther SOUTH of the centre of Calgary!

But who says being close to downtown is a Pro anyway?
As the crow flies, perhaps, but not so much as the car drives.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:02 AM   #28
Stillman16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Yep, your right, driving Mcloed (Lights every block), Elbow Dr. (see Mcloed and add long playground zone), or the south portion of Deerfoot (bottle necked at Calf Robe and Anderson/Bow Bottom) is much faster than from the North.

From the North you only have North portion of Deerfoot (three lanes each way), or Edmonton Trail, Centre St., 14th St., or Shag.

It really is too bad that they didn't make more options for traffic to go South towards City Centre.
Stillman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:38 AM   #29
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Getting around Anderson on Deerfoot is easy (Barlow --> Shephard --> Glenmore), and I can't remember the last time the Calf Robe bottlenecked for anything other than a crash. Coming from the north though, you get backed up anywhere between Beddington and Airport trail, and crawl all the way to Memorial or 16th, depending on when you get off. And you've never driven MacLeod in the morning if you think the lights slow you down any.

Driven both ways many times, and yes, driving from the north is pathetic.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:46 AM   #30
C-ero
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Moved to Hanson Ranch 2 months ago.

The community is silent as heaven. It's crazy awsome. I used to live in Saddle Ridge and that place was full of wannabe gangsters and our house got egged atleast twice a month. I hated that community.

But yeah, Hanson Ranch is an awsome community. Very clean and the people take care of their houses. Every house looks nice and elegant. During Christmas time is when it gets even more crazy awsome. The neighbours are all having a competition to see who'se Christmas light is the best and it's really really funny.
C-ero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:50 AM   #31
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Getting around Anderson on Deerfoot is easy (Barlow --> Shephard --> Glenmore), and I can't remember the last time the Calf Robe bottlenecked for anything other than a crash. Coming from the north though, you get backed up anywhere between Beddington and Airport trail, and crawl all the way to Memorial or 16th, depending on when you get off. And you've never driven MacLeod in the morning if you think the lights slow you down any.

I go from Coventry Hills to downtown every morning. Before my wife went on maternity, we would drive together. She would drop me off at centre street and 16th ave. I would catch the bus downtown and she would drive to work (near Deerfoot on 16th ave). We could leave our house at 6:40 and she would be at work by 7:00 on most mornings.

Unless there was an accident or the weather was exceptionally bad, we could routinely make the commute in 20 minutes or less. Of course, it could have as much to do with the time of day we traveled than anything else. Those inexplicable bottlenecks you describe do exist even at that hour though.

Last edited by fredr123; 08-25-2009 at 08:26 AM.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fredr123 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2009, 08:24 AM   #32
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Really? This coming from someone who lives south of 22X!
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2009, 08:44 AM   #33
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Panorama Hills (when I'm in Calgary).

Depending on what part, you could potentially have planes on the final approach flying relatively close to the house, that could get loud. Also, some places you are close to Country Hills Blvd, which means traffic noise. I believe this is phase II that I'm living in.

If you were to move further into Panorama Hills (Places like Panamount) That's where it's really great. Like everyone already said, close to some amenities like Cardel Place, Superstore, Theater, Canadian Tire, etc...

Easy and simple access to Major Roads like Country Hills Blvd, Harvest Hills Blvd, Stoney Trail and you're about a 5 minute drive before to get onto Deerfoot. (Either through Country Hills Blvd or Beddington Blvd).

Two schools are up now, one Catholic and one Public, both Elementary I believe. Junior High, the designated school is St. Elizabeth Seton in Hidden Valley. Designated HS is Notre Dame, which is directly beside Cardel Place (but Lacombe is an option if you/your kids want IB)

Overall, if you can stand the noise in some places in Panorama, I think it's a pretty good community. If you live further into Panorama, the newer part of Panorama, it's going to be pretty quiet. While maintaing the easy access and everything.
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:45 AM   #34
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bump for people who live in these communities...Saw a development permit application at the Creekside shopping center on Wednesday, after some inquiries it's been confirmed that Target is looking to move into the old Rona space. The plan is to demolish the existing Rona building, and rebuild.

This is a perfect fit for the space IMO. Especially good for target too, trying to fit into the old zeller's locations really hurt their launch I think. Starting with some newly built locations should be a better look for them.

Last edited by Ace; 08-30-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ace For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #35
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Until there is one accident in the South....then everything is f&cked. There are so many alternate routes you can use in the North (west) to get around things.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rotten42 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2013, 11:08 AM   #36
normtwofinger
Self-Retirement

Exp:

Forget these communities. You should move to Lake Bonavista! Why? Because there is a lake.
normtwofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:22 AM   #37
Static
Draft Pick

That's a good spot to open up a Target. Easy access from nearby communities and lots of parking. Opening oen at that location will probably take away a good amount of business from Walmart in Deerfoot.
Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #38
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

No Lake = FAIL
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #39
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I just moved from Coventry to Chestermere, Conventry hills is ok but there are little punks who are into vandalism and smashed the door mirror on our car. There are a lot of bad drivers for some reason and the bus is faster to get downtown than driving on deerfoot. Driving in from Chestermere takes half the time it did from Coventry Hills but I would say the north end is better for traffic than the south. A friend of mine just moved to redwater and his house had the windows smashed and poop put on his deck as well as spraypaint. The punks also vandalized the community sign, seems like there are a lot of little vandals in redwater.

edit: School is an issue in Convetry hills as you have to enter a lottery to get your kid in the local school and if you dont get in you have to bus your kids to elementary, that was a huge consideration in moving to Chestermere.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:47 PM   #40
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

move to airdrie, you'll be much closer to all the stuff in calgary due to the 10 minute drive