Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2021, 10:26 PM   #81
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dave, your team looks like garbage!!
Old 08-12-2021, 10:26 PM   #82
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's going to be one of those years. It was inevitable the talent drain would eventually catch up to the team. Also one has to wonder if Mitchell is now damaged goods. He's not been very good since his injury. It's crippling to a low talent team when the highest paid QB in the league is playing like the worst QB in the league.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2021, 10:26 PM   #83
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is the equivalent of the second preseason game. I’ll believe the Stamps will be bad in November when I see it.
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 10:28 PM   #84
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can we not have Dustin (Edmonton fanboy) Nielsen calling Stamps games anymore??
Old 08-12-2021, 10:29 PM   #85
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Yup, ugly football, but it’s early.

Clean up only half of our ugliness, and we are probably 2-0.
Old 08-12-2021, 10:31 PM   #86
sfpipes
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Another rough game. Team just looks out of sync and sloppy. Bo looks unsettled and that’s not usual for him. Trying to force too much and too fast. Get the offense going a bit and you can start turning it around. A full week and a day before Montreal, hopefully gives them some time to work out some kinks.
sfpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 10:34 PM   #87
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Bo doesn't have chemistry with his receivers who are young, he also doesn't trust them so he's forcing passes into tiny windows.

I don't like how the right side of the Oline played, especially the right tackle who was swimming all game.

Can't critize the defense, if you hold a team to 15 you should win.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2021, 12:19 AM   #88
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did anyone else noticed that play was allowed to continue when the fans ran into the field? I noticed a guy was still running around and then the Stamps got a penalty for offside WTF was that
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 12:30 AM   #89
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Bo doesn't have chemistry with his receivers who are young, he also doesn't trust them so he's forcing passes into tiny windows.

I don't like how the right side of the Oline played, especially the right tackle who was swimming all game.

Holding them to 15 points after having 5 turnovers is a near miracle.
Old 08-13-2021, 06:20 AM   #90
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Every starting receiver was on the roster in 2019. It's not that he doesn't have chemistry and more that he's misreading coverages and being off with his accuracy. He's never been the most accurate QB but even a lot of the completions were throws where the receivers had to extend to come up with the ball. The offensive line is bad but we knew it was probably going to struggle. The regression of Mitchell is the issue that wasn't expected.
Old 08-13-2021, 08:37 AM   #91
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Every starting receiver was on the roster in 2019. It's not that he doesn't have chemistry and more that he's misreading coverages and being off with his accuracy. He's never been the most accurate QB but even a lot of the completions were throws where the receivers had to extend to come up with the ball. The offensive line is bad but we knew it was probably going to struggle. The regression of Mitchell is the issue that wasn't expected.

Well that's simply not true, though he was off on his throws last night at times.

But as far as the chemistry thing, even Dickenson was pretty blunt about his receivers not running routes correctly or making the adjustments after the play was altered at the line of scrimmage.

The only guy that looks like he is in tune with is Jorden and to a lesser degree with Huff. Though Huff screwed the pooch on 2 different routes last night as well.

Mayala and Sindani were terrible for the most part.

I do agree though that Mitchells arm strength looks considerably weaker than it has been in years past which leads me to wonder if his shoulder really is healed as they claim. he underthrew guys at least 5 times last night which led to 2 of his INT's.

Carey doesnt look like the same guy either but his Oline is not helping him nor BO, which was a concern from day 1 of camp and looks to be coming to fruition. Its simply where games are won and lost in this league, and this group thus far have been quite underwhelming.

Defense gives up some yards but they come up tough in the red zone. Losing Wall and only giving up 15 pts is a tremendous effort.

Going to be a long season though.
Old 08-13-2021, 08:51 AM   #92
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The stats don't lie. Four interceptions and a 50% completion percentage is telling that he was not accurate or good. Even Rose and Boomer on 960 this morning were saying that it wasn't like the first game where receivers were running the wrong routes as Bo was just off all night. I don't know why his arm strength would be down though as he's had that procedure to clean out his shoulder in early 2020 and has had a lot of time to recover. If he's not right this team doesn't have a chance as there's no Arbuckle to step in. Huff is going to have to figure out what's going on there as they have a large portion of their salary cap tied up on him that's effected overall depth and talent.
Old 08-13-2021, 09:05 AM   #93
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Most CFL receivers are running read route offenses. So its not like your running a route structure of four receivers doing a 1881. The receivers have to read the coverage and make the decision for example of route-sit-reverse-scramble-extend. The QB and Receiver have to make the same read, that's why at times you will hear either the audible. or see the hand signal from the QB to a specific receiver.

If the receiver reads one way and the QB reads the other way, that read mistake is really on the receiver.

The receivers might be running the right route, but making the wrong read, or blowing timing. Yeah, a lot of times Bo's physical stuff looks off or wrong. I do have doubts that his shoulder is healed all the way because he just doesn't have the arm power that he used to have, but to me even his pocket work (feet) looks a bit off. Usually he's brilliant at one step evasions, forcing D-linemen in terms of shifting their angles with one step. Now everything looks exaggerated.

I think that Dave needs to simplify the read structure. I know he runs extremely complex offenses with lots of read structures. Maybe its overwhelming everyone.

And yeah, the offensive line and especially the right guard and tackle aren't good, their pass blocking is poor, there's not enough run surge.

The defense is the typical bend don't break, but it doesn't matter right now, the offense has scored 1 touchdown in two games in the CFL. The offense is letting this team down.

Old 08-13-2021, 09:16 AM   #94
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dave mentioned last night that the Lions were strictly playing zone on defense so it's surprising that they couldn't make any adjustments in the 2nd half with quick hitters and flood style routes.
Old 08-13-2021, 09:33 AM   #95
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

yeah, I did notice a lot of zone, which means sit for the receiver reads.

The problem also is every time Bo stepped into the pocket the right side of the line collapsed and the end was coming hard.

Old 08-13-2021, 09:38 AM   #96
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
yeah, I did notice a lot of zone, which means sit for the receiver reads.

The problem also is every time Bo stepped into the pocket the right side of the line collapsed and the end was coming hard.
Yeah but it shouldn't surprise anyone the offensive line is struggling as that was predicted before the season started. Ideally the running game would get going to take pressure off the line but I don't think Carey is overly dynamic (seems to go down a lot on first contact and not overly elusive in the backfield) as the team really hasn't found the guy to replace Cornish. Messam was good but at the end of his career. After him the running game has largely been mediocre and that's had an effect on the offense.
Old 08-13-2021, 10:06 AM   #97
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Litre is more of a bull back, and seems more effective.

Old 08-13-2021, 10:41 AM   #98
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The stats don't lie. Four interceptions and a 50% completion percentage is telling that he was not accurate or good. Even Rose and Boomer on 960 this morning were saying that it wasn't like the first game where receivers were running the wrong routes as Bo was just off all night. I don't know why his arm strength would be down though as he's had that procedure to clean out his shoulder in early 2020 and has had a lot of time to recover. If he's not right this team doesn't have a chance as there's no Arbuckle to step in. Huff is going to have to figure out what's going on there as they have a large portion of their salary cap tied up on him that's effected overall depth and talent.
I'd say it's more a case of these players lacking in game conditioning and mentally just not being sharp. The product league-wide is probably going to be utterly woeful for the first half of the season as I have found already, but admittedly basing this on viewing only about 3 quarters of CFL action thus far through 2 weeks.
Old 08-13-2021, 11:38 AM   #99
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
I'd say it's more a case of these players lacking in game conditioning and mentally just not being sharp. The product league-wide is probably going to be utterly woeful for the first half of the season as I have found already, but admittedly basing this on viewing only about 3 quarters of CFL action thus far through 2 weeks.
The first week was awful and the opener this week even worse. The Bombers and Riders looked like the only teams that were in mid season form in week one and could run away with the top two spots in the division if the rest of the league takes too long to get going. It's not how you start in the CFL but when you finish but it's only a 14 game season and the Stamps have lost to two of the beatable teams on their schedule. They will probably have to go 8-4 in the final 12 games to be safely in a playoff spot and the way they are playing it's hard to feel good about getting 8 wins as they have five games against the Riders and Bombers and could lose 3 or 4 games right there leaving razor thin margins for error on the rest of the schedule.