Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-25-2020, 09:55 AM   #5881
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
That's crazy - so up to 1100 people are able to gather indoors at a church, but I can't go to my sister's house once, to see her family where there will be 6 of us. Makes tons of sense!
I'm with you a million per cent on that. Churches remaining open is so fataing dumb it's insane. And being open is one thing...the fact that people are dumb enough to actually go is doubly disappointing. What could possess somebody to walk into a building with that many people to hear hogwash during a pandemic? They all have the textbook and could study at home, anyway. I have the book FFS and I'm not even religious.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2020, 09:55 AM   #5882
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Wow, that's bonkers. If you think about it, sitting on a bench with 1/3rd as many people just means instead of being shoulder to shoulder, you are still probably less than a meter away from the next person. This is totally unnecessary, and should be shut down. I'm sorry to those who believe they need this, but we need to do better here. Take a few weeks off. Your God will forgive you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2020, 09:59 AM   #5883
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Work really GMG. As head of IT infrastructure I was told to prepare for everyone working from home in case of another lockdown, which I've been doing for the past week. But because the new measures aren't a full lockdown, there's been zero further communication from the CEO, so it's business as usual. Nevermind the declaration of a public health emergency, the encouraging of businesses to allow remote work, or the fact that we all worked from home for 3 months during the first lockdown without issue. We can't even work remotely voluntarily, everyone has to be in the office downtown without exception. So stupid
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2020, 10:00 AM   #5884
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Wow, that's bonkers. If you think about it, sitting on a bench with 1/3rd as many people just means instead of being shoulder to shoulder, you are still probably less than a meter away from the next person. This is totally unnecessary, and should be shut down. I'm sorry to those who believe they need this, but we need to do better here. Take a few weeks off. Your God will forgive you.

Isnt there still a requirement to distance 6 feet? That was my understanding.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:02 AM   #5885
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
lol at calling the government banning guests in my home a half measure. That's nucking futs. A year ago it would be unfathomable to think this is where we'd be today that I - as an adult in Canada - don't have a say about who comes into my home. And $1000 fine for walking around without a face mask or closing my kids' school and making them learn from home - like, on what planet are these half measures?

WTF are you even talking about? I voted NDP. I think Kenney has been completely MIA for the last few weeks. The last set of measures before these ones were pathetic and did nothing. Last night's announcement, though? The new measures will help and they were smarter than I could come up with when I challenged myself to make a better plan.

Balancing the economy against our health needs is important. It sounds ####ty to say, but the economy can't be ignored. This struck a great balance and is a good starting point IMO. Should have been done a month or more ago, but let's deal with where we are right now. Kenney apparently wants to start governing again and that's good. If we need to push the measures harder we can do that, but at least he came out with a plan that's definitely reasonable.

Partisan people are so fataing weird. Kenney's done a #### job in recent months. Last night he did well and introduced measures to helps us all at a political cost to himself. I'm giving him credit for that.
You make a good point about them banning gatherings at your home. I won't have any faith in these rules until I know it's being enforced. People will still gather at homes. I hope I'm wrong.

I think the biggest thing wrong with what they've done is that we have no contact tracing, and no app.

The moves they made other than changes to school are pretty much nothing unless they are enforced which I have my doubts about.

They've already said schools and retail businesses/restaurants aren't the source of significant transmission so they had better be enforcing indoor gatherings like crazy.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:02 AM   #5886
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Work really GMG. As head of IT infrastructure I was told to prepare for everyone working from home in case of another lockdown, which I've been doing for the past week. But because the new measures aren't a full lockdown, there's been zero further communication from the CEO, so it's business as usual. Nevermind the declaration of a public health emergency, the encouraging of businesses to allow remote work, or the fact that we all worked from home for 3 months during the first lockdown without issue. We can't even work remotely voluntarily, everyone has to be in the office downtown without exception. So stupid
Brutal, dude.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:03 AM   #5887
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Social distancing doesn't do anything when you have a large group of people in an enclosed space for a long period of time, there's been quite a few studies showing that
Old 11-25-2020, 10:07 AM   #5888
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
This is the #### that gets to me about the latest restrictions. Should have been firmer requirements on businesses. If you can work from home you need to work from home. Period. There is no reason for a lot of downtown to have people taking transit or being in office towers...
Old 11-25-2020, 10:08 AM   #5889
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Think of it this way, the more places you allow for spread to take place, the more infections you have. And with that, it means you need to keep businesses restricted for longer, kids out of school, and hospitals more stressed. That's the trade off here. It's actually mind boggling. Church is 100% a "nice to have". It isn't a necessity. Certainly not for 3 weeks. Lets make some smart choices, here.

If your looking for the pandering to a base from Kenney, I don't think you need to look farther than this policy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2020, 10:09 AM   #5890
Roughneck
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Balancing the economy against our health needs is important. It sounds ####ty to say, but the economy can't be ignored. This struck a great balance and is a good starting point IMO. Should have been done a month or more ago, but let's deal with where we are right now.

Something that should have been done a month or more ago is now inadequate, not a 'good starting point.' This isn't like planting a tree, what is a good starting point is dependent on where we are, not where we were a month ago or two weeks ago, or one week ago.

The partisan aspects are trying to blame the federal government for shortcomings, and ignoring federal government assistance programs for individuals (CRB, CRCB, CRSB) and businesses (CEWS, CEBA, RRRF, etc) that would absolutely help people deal with stricter rules in place. That's ####ty, partisan governing.

If the government is so concerned about balancing the economy and recovery, make that balancing act easier by assisting businesses so that recovery can happen faster. It doesn't have to be done alone, stack programs on top of the federal ones.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2020, 10:09 AM   #5891
Izzle
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Here's an opinion column from a noted leftist rag..... *Checks notes* The Globe and Mail??

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...ck-to-failure/

There isn't a lot of disagree with. Half measures that still put the onus on personal responsibility.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:11 AM   #5892
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post
You make a good point about them banning gatherings at your home. I won't have any faith in these rules until I know it's being enforced. People will still gather at homes. I hope I'm wrong.
Sadly I agree with you.

Based on Comments sections and Social media it is clear to me that a large number of the "My Freedom" gang will ignore this requirement.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
Old 11-25-2020, 10:11 AM   #5893
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post

I think the biggest thing wrong with what they've done is that we have no contact tracing, and no app.

The moves they made other than changes to school are pretty much nothing unless they are enforced which I have my doubts about.

They've already said schools and retail businesses/restaurants aren't the source of significant transmission so they had better be enforcing indoor gatherings like crazy.
Yeah, enforcement will be big. I do recall from a sociology and crime course I took in university that basically all laws are self enforced anyway, though. I mean, it's not like there's a cop hiding around every corner to bust us, but we all generally follow the law, anyway. There is a lot of stuff I'd do that is against the law, so I don't do it or at least temper what I would do in absence of the rules. Some people will still break the rules, but at least now there is the option of a penalty.

I've had trouble getting my shop staff to wear masks. They basically haven't been willing to unless I'm standing there forcing them. We have barriers between workers, but there were still too many interactions that should have been masked that weren't. This morning I walked in, posted the new rules on the board, and everyone put on a mask without batting an eye. When masks were optional they wouldn't wear them. Kenney just had to say a few words and now all of my staff (including me) are safer. I realize that's anecdotal, but in my little world it's great to see these rules that give me more power to enforce safety here.

I guess we'll know what sort of difference yesterday's new measures will make starting in about four weeks.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2020, 10:14 AM   #5894
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Your shop must be located in the Calgary or Edmonton area
Old 11-25-2020, 10:18 AM   #5895
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

So on a positive note, ski hills are still open.

The kids are off for an extended time and we can ski.

I'm just polishing this turd for you all.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
Old 11-25-2020, 10:19 AM   #5896
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Something that should have been done a month or more ago is now inadequate, not a 'good starting point.' This isn't like planting a tree, what is a good starting point is dependent on where we are, not where we were a month ago or two weeks ago, or one week ago.

The partisan aspects are trying to blame the federal government for shortcomings, and ignoring federal government assistance programs for individuals (CRB, CRCB, CRSB) and businesses (CEWS, CEBA, RRRF, etc) that would absolutely help people deal with stricter rules in place. That's ####ty, partisan governing.

If the government is so concerned about balancing the economy and recovery, make that balancing act easier by assisting businesses so that recovery can happen faster. It doesn't have to be done alone, stack programs on top of the federal ones.
I wouldn't be opposed to going further with measures, but obviously there are others that don't want to go as far as we did. This does seem like a decent balance to me (with some exceptions).

And yeah, you actually do need to start somewhere. This morning we are doing more to slow the spread than we were yesterday morning, so to me this is a good starting point. For the past few weeks I've been completely confused as to why we weren't do anything meaningful whatsoever to slow the spread.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:21 AM   #5897
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm in the camp that we didn't go far enough, but we won't know for 3-4 weeks if it has any effect. I'll be more than willing to eat crow if this actually works, I just think we've gone with the slow band-aid peel, which could hurt more economically in the long run than a hard shutdown of 28 days.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:29 AM   #5898
Hot_Flatus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Last night when you watch Kenney talk about how social gatherings are such a problem (no kidding), yet recall how he could have done something about that 2 weeks ago, it really makes you wonder how someone can be so dense.

These restrictions would have been effective 3-4 weeks ago, but now I would say the best case would be that things don't get substantially worse than they are now in a few weeks time.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:31 AM   #5899
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is this not a death knell for restaurants/pubs/bars? It will all depend on enforcement, I suppose. This seems like an ugly grey area of uncertainty for operators (compared to takeout only). It will be interesting to see what happens at places like Craft this FRI/SAT...
Old 11-25-2020, 10:39 AM   #5900
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
This is the dumbest post in the history of the internet. And it happened on CP and I was around to see it. What are the chances?
Actually I agree with him. As usual, for all our smugness and airs of superiority, it will be the Americans who bail us out of this mess again.
Closed Thread