Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2021, 10:06 PM   #1661
ditty
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
Canada finally makes a sub about 20 minutes too late, their legs are gone and have been gone since the 60th minute or so. Mo Farsi enters!
Honduras really took over the match in the last 30 minutes or so. Canada didn't really rotate the squad over these three games and the gas tank was definitely low in the second half. Gonna be a very tough game vs Mexico on Sunday.
ditty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 07:56 AM   #1662
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was great to watch both games last night at the Rose and Crown with a few fellow supporters last night. How I missed that.

Regarding the Bermuda game, yes it's only Bermuda, but if Canada want to get treated like the rising power everyone thinks they are, they have to get out of the minnow stage that they've been in the last 20 years. And they beat Bermuda without really getting out of first gear as expected.

The real test will be Haiti in June. If they lose, Herdman has to go. If they win, then I am really looking forward to seeing how they fare in the Ocho against teams that are at or above their level.

As for the U23's, they didn't look great against Honduras, but they earned a result against a real power at the U23 level to get to the knockout stage. And they'll get pumped by Mexico, but that really shouldn't be a surprise result. They were never going to qualify for the Olympics this round, especially given the roster issues, but getting knocked out in the semifinals is about where they should be.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:39 AM   #1663
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wait, the Olympic and World Cup qualifiers happen at the same time?
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 02:52 PM   #1664
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scornfire View Post
Wait, the Olympic and World Cup qualifiers happen at the same time?
Only players born after January 1, 1997, are eligible to play in the qualifying matches.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 04:27 PM   #1665
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaErtz View Post
Only players born after January 1, 1997, are eligible to play in the qualifying matches.
Can Alphonso Davies, Dayne St. Clair, Kamal Miller, Theo Corbeanu and Liam Millar swoop in for the Mexico match?
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 04:53 PM   #1666
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Would David qualify as well, or is he older than I think?

Edit: I realize that adding David isn't possible since he isn't on a squad right now and the game is on March 28.
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 02:02 PM   #1667
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Can Alphonso Davies, Dayne St. Clair, Kamal Miller, Theo Corbeanu and Liam Millar swoop in for the Mexico match?

Can they? Yes. Will they? No. I can't imagine the reaction of Bayern Munich if Canada told them they wanted to play him in an underage competition. This would be like having an established NHL star take a couple of weeks off to show up at the World Juniors.

Canada plays the Cayman Islands tomorrow and then have their final two matches of this group stage on June 5th and 8th. If they win the group, they'll like play Haiti on June 12th and 15th in a two legged playoff for a place in the final group stage, which will have eight teams this time instead of the usual six, and they'll play all seven teams both at home and away.
Old 03-27-2021, 03:27 PM   #1668
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
I can't imagine the reaction of Bayern Munich if Canada told them they wanted to play him in an underage competition. This would be like having an established NHL star take a couple of weeks off to show up at the World Juniors.
I mean, Barcelona let Neymar do it in 2012 and Messi in 2008. Both were already starters/stars. Ronaldo was a starter at Manchester United when he played in 2004. It doesn't seem that crazy.
Old 03-28-2021, 01:41 PM   #1669
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Canada were supposed to play the Cayman Islands at 2 pm, but the game has been postponed as the Cayman Islands did not get their COVID testing done in time for the game...

https://twitter.com/FIFAWorldCup/sta...53924462751747

Old 03-28-2021, 01:46 PM   #1670
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

This is a real piss off as it will now be during work and there’s also the Olympic qualifier tomorrow.
Old 03-28-2021, 02:00 PM   #1671
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Olympic qualifier is tonight, at 7.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2021, 02:02 PM   #1672
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

You just saved my ass. OneSoccer shows it as tomorrow on their schedule. Thanks!!!
Old 03-28-2021, 04:19 PM   #1673
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
I mean, Barcelona let Neymar do it in 2012 and Messi in 2008. Both were already starters/stars. Ronaldo was a starter at Manchester United when he played in 2004. It doesn't seem that crazy.
Just to clarify, did those clubs release the players to play in an Olympic qualifier or the tournament itself?
Old 03-28-2021, 06:27 PM   #1674
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Just to clarify, did those clubs release the players to play in an Olympic qualifier or the tournament itself?
I just looked because I have no idea and I’m curious too. Neymar was in the qualifying tournament, but looks like the others likely were not. There were some big names kicking around though, Schweinsteiger, Podolski, Almeida,
Ricardo Costa, etc.

I guess it’s likely Davies would play in the Olympics, but the qualifiers, if not overlapping with WCQ matches, would have been less likely?
Old 03-28-2021, 07:06 PM   #1675
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

No Cornelius to start. Damn.
Old 03-28-2021, 07:12 PM   #1676
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Defend, keep your shape, stay narrow. Hit on the counter. It’s not pretty but all that matters is somehow pulling out a win
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 07:49 PM   #1677
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

This reffing is sooo CONCACAF.

The free kick that should’ve been awarded in the opening minutes would have been Canada’s best chance of the half.
Old 03-28-2021, 07:58 PM   #1678
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is, but I feel like the reffing is working in Canada’s favour for the most part. Gotten away with a few yellow cards, Tajon and Brault Guillard have waterskied behind a few guys

Canada is playing a great Concacaf match against Mexico. Lots of cheap little fouls miles away from the danger zone. Don’t allow them to get into a rhythm. Waste time on every throw/goal kick. Some off the ball shenanigans. The coaching staff has them dialled in in how to frustrate Mexico. Few good Mexican chances but Pantemis is a great shot stopper (but his distribution is terrifying)
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M*A*S*H 4077 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-28-2021, 08:01 PM   #1679
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

0-0 going into halftime is better than I expected. I'm loving Dias' ability to draw in three Mexican defenders and then win a free kick. Norman's challenge in the box early on was fantastic too. Looking like he'll be a great CB for Cavalry...

Last edited by shermanator; 03-28-2021 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-28-2021, 08:03 PM   #1680
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
Tajon and Brault Guillard have waterskied behind a few guys
Agreed. Those two yellows hurt. Those guys were doing a great job with the nit picky stuff.

All in all, not a bad half. I like how they aren’t pressing much and conserving energy. They need one fast break, and know they aren’t going to play with the ball much, so no point chasing. That would play right into Mexico’s hands.