Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2021, 01:48 PM   #3001
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Doesn't matter if he was setup to be the fall guy, or seemed like a nice guy.

Bush is also a super nice guy.

Doesn't mean they don't all have blood on their hands.

The fact that they did it all while still appearing to be 'grownups' makes them even more despicable in my books.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 07:12 PM   #3002
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1450148607810686983
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 07:14 PM   #3003
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Every time a warmonger dies I hope that hell is a real place. He'd look every inch a gentleman in a lake of eternal fire.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 07:23 PM   #3004
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Every time a warmonger dies I hope that hell is a real place. He'd look every inch a gentleman in a lake of eternal fire.
Absolutely. If this was a prominent figure, in a country we didn't like, with the exact same record, we'd be dancing on his grave.
Old 10-18-2021, 08:57 PM   #3005
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Looks like Biden is winding up for another punch in the face to Canada with his budget and buy America provisions, this time he's taking solid aim at Canada's auto industry.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/colum...ector-in-peril

Quote:
The legislation would increase the incentive for buying an electric vehicle to $12,500 but only if the vehicle, and the battery that is in the vehicle, are both made in the United States.

Quote:
That could rule out battery plants being considered for Ontario.
Flavio Volpe, president of the Automotive Parts Manufacturers’ Association, said Monday that the impact of this budget proposal shouldn’t be underestimated.
“The protentional harm from this action could exceed any Donald Trump threw at us,” Volpe said.
Toyota announced plans for a U.S.-based battery plant on Monday. Ford has previously announced electric plants in Tennessee and Kentucky but so far, despite aggressive sales efforts, nothing for Ontario yet.

Stellantis, formerly Fiat-Chrysler, announced on Monday that they have formed a partnership with LG Energy to build electric vehicle batteries in North America. Company CEO Carlos Tavares has said that the company is considering two plants, one of which could be in Canada.
This budget proposal could alter those plans.

Remember that Trudeau asked for Biden to bring in some exemptions for Canada to protect us from buy America provisions after Joe was elected, and we were treated like a door to door vacuum salesman.

Biden is a miserable president as far as Canada is concerned. But then again Australia has replaced us as America's favorite strategic partner.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 09:04 PM   #3006
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Looks like Biden is winding up for another punch in the face to Canada with his budget and buy America provisions, this time he's taking solid aim at Canada's auto industry.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/colum...ector-in-peril

Remember that Trudeau asked for Biden to bring in some exemptions for Canada to protect us from buy America provisions after Joe was elected, and we were treated like a door to door vacuum salesman.

Biden is a miserable president as far as Canada is concerned. But then again Australia has replaced us as America's favorite strategic partner.
I don't really have a problem with this from the American perspective. It sucks as a Canadian, but Biden doesn't owe us anything.
Old 10-18-2021, 11:21 PM   #3007
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1450140793004511236

The guy was a ####ty human that the right used to make Democrats more comfortable with war crimes.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2021, 10:01 AM   #3008
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trump's statement on Powell is pretty funny.

"Wonderful to see Colin Powell, who made big mistakes on Iraq and famously, so-called weapons of mass destruction, be treated in death so beautifully by the Fake News Media," Trump said in a statement released Tuesday morning. "Hope that happens to me someday. He was a classic RINO, if even that, always being the first to attack other Republicans. He made plenty of mistakes, but anyway, may he rest in peace!"
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 12:07 PM   #3009
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Trump's statement on Powell is pretty funny.

"Wonderful to see Colin Powell, who made big mistakes on Iraq and famously, so-called weapons of mass destruction, be treated in death so beautifully by the Fake News Media," Trump said in a statement released Tuesday morning. "Hope that happens to me someday. He was a classic RINO, if even that, always being the first to attack other Republicans. He made plenty of mistakes, but anyway, may he rest in peace!"
May that day be soon.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2021, 12:34 PM   #3010
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Embarrassing stuff from the NYT.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/18/s...?smid=tw-share

Quote:
Not just because of her political theater. Ever since she was first elected to the Arizona House of Representatives in 2005, Ms. Sinema has always stood out in a crowd. And as Ms. Sinema’s legislative demands take center stage (along with those of Senator Joe Manchin, the other Biden Bill holdout) her history of idiosyncratic outfits has taken on a new cast.

As Tammy Haddad, former MSNBC political director and co-founder of the White House Correspondents Weekend Insider, said of the senator, “If the other members of Congress had paid any attention to her clothing at all they would have known she wasn’t going to just follow the party line.”
Old 10-19-2021, 03:25 PM   #3011
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

LMAO, that's just terrible, terrible reporting. If I was the editor I'd fire that reporter the next day.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:16 PM   #3012
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
LMAO, that's just terrible, terrible reporting. If I was the editor I'd fire that reporter the next day.
Cali. Come on. That article is from the Style section of the paper! It's the reporter's job to report on fashion, and that includes singling out and lampooning those with questionable taste. This was not some political piece. The embarrassing thing here is that someone pulled a salacious comment from an article to stir up the masses, and either didn't have the awareness to check the section, or the integrity to disclose what the article was about fashion and the inconsistency of their politics was used to lampoon the fashionista in question.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2021, 04:39 PM   #3013
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Cali. Come on. That article is from the Style section of the paper! It's the reporter's job to report on fashion, and that includes singling out and lampooning those with questionable taste. This was not some political piece. The embarrassing thing here is that someone pulled a salacious comment from an article to stir up the masses, and either didn't have the awareness to check the section, or the integrity to disclose what the article was about fashion and the inconsistency of their politics was used to lampoon the fashionista in question.
Ehhh, you might be right about the first part, but this sounds more like "girl boss" stuff than it does satire.

Quote:
And, it made it clear she just wasn’t going to apologize for enjoying shopping. She clearly does a lot of it. So what? As far as she is concerned, she can have her stuff and substance too.

In other words, all those seemingly kooky clothes that Ms. Sinema is wearing aren’t kooky at all. They’re signposts. And the direction they are pointing is entirely her way.
In other news...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1450577070032134147
https://twitter.com/user/status/1450578317715836931
Old 10-19-2021, 08:22 PM   #3014
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I don't care at all. It's still awful to boil a political figure's ideology down to their style choices, as if it matters in their decision making at all.

Style section should have better editors. That's still awful journalism.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:12 PM   #3015
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder how common this is down in the US? Pretty chilling stuff.

activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2021, 09:17 PM   #3016
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

And what is the hot take on this one?
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2021, 09:26 PM   #3017
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I mean if they don't do anything on climate change, it's all kind of moot.
Old 10-19-2021, 09:46 PM   #3018
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Those seem like reasonable compromises and Biden trying to get some compromises to get a deal seems like the job he was elected to do.

Free community college doesn't really seem like a winning policy anyway. It's basically free up to middle class families anyway. I have a step daughter in community college. they calculate her fees based on my wife and her ex's income and she pays no tuition, gets credit on her books and some money for living expenses.

Also community colleges classes are pretty packed already and you have to be on top of registration to even get in all your classes. Making it free for everyone would stress the system even more.

It's an idea that sounds good, but in practice wouldn't help too many people and might cause more problems than it fixes.
Old 10-19-2021, 10:04 PM   #3019
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I mean if they don't do anything on climate change, it's all kind of moot.
I've never understood how we go to this point that everything needs to be in an all or nothing multi trillion dollar spending bill. I'd think there would be some stand alone climate bills that could get some Republican votes in the senate.

It's frustrating that Democrats have never tried to sell a real high speed train network on the East Coast that could take a whole lot of cars off the interstates and cut down thousands of short flights. it could make a lot of people's lives better immediately, and could actually make a difference long term.
Old 10-20-2021, 12:16 AM   #3020
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Those seem like reasonable compromises and Biden trying to get some compromises to get a deal seems like the job he was elected to do.

Free community college doesn't really seem like a winning policy anyway. It's basically free up to middle class families anyway. I have a step daughter in community college. they calculate her fees based on my wife and her ex's income and she pays no tuition, gets credit on her books and some money for living expenses.

Also community colleges classes are pretty packed already and you have to be on top of registration to even get in all your classes. Making it free for everyone would stress the system even more.

It's an idea that sounds good, but in practice wouldn't help too many people and might cause more problems than it fixes.
The compromise was the $3.5T package. Progressives came down from $10T to $6T to $3.5T. I'm hoping they continue to hold the line and force Manchin and Sinema to vote against it.