Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Event Forums > COVID-19 Forum

Old 10-19-2021, 03:27 PM   #4061
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
It's never lupus.
I did 23andme and came up heterozygous for Familial Mediterranean Fever. I've been trying to convince my aunt to get testing to see if might not be Lupus....she won't do so and remains convinced its Lupus.

(Yes I know this is a TV quote)
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 03:41 PM   #4062
mikephoen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I did 23andme and came up heterozygous for Familial Mediterranean Fever. I've been trying to convince my aunt to get testing to see if might not be Lupus....she won't do so and remains convinced its Lupus.

(Yes I know this is a TV quote)
Haha, I was just making a flippant remark (which you obviously understood), but then it turns out that it might actually not be Lupus after all! House was right!
Old 10-19-2021, 04:05 PM   #4063
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Coronavirus All Purpose Thread: The unnecessary Dumb Dumb 4th wave

Remember when we had a poster telling us about the UK measures for dealing with covid and how we should consider them. Ooof

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...hs-since-march
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:20 PM   #4064
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...infection.html

Someone want to dig into this? Thoughts?

No I am not anti-vaxx, so screw off if you can't handle a discussion like this.

What exactly do you want to discuss? Seems like a logical solution. Those people should still get vaccinated to be safe.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:33 PM   #4065
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Well for starters, its becoming clear that we don't clearly understand natural immunity, and how effective it is.

We already know COVID isn't going away.

We already know the vaccine effectiveness will wane over time.

Are we going to effectively ask people to get booster shots for the rest of their lives and go with the mandate to fire them if they don't?

I doubt it. There are already medical concerns for certain demographics with the booster shot.

So where does that leave us a year from now when our vaccine isn't as effective? Booster for everyone with a mandate, or booster for those that are most at risk, and a better understanding for natural immunity & treatments for everyone else?

Hopefully the vaccine is effective for longer than has been suggested, which does seem to be the case, but it won't be effective forever.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:39 PM   #4066
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Travis Twitt (misspelling intentional) is cancelling concerts in venues that require vaccinations and masks.

I’m sure his fan is disappointed.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 06:41 PM   #4067
edslunch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
It absolutely is terrifying for the fully unvaccinated. Almost 1 in 3 Delta deaths are in the unvaccinated population. But if I'm reading that right, it's more terrifying for the fully vaccinated who account almost 2 in 3 of Delta deaths in the UK. And I'm one of the fully vaccinated.

Very high vaccination range absolutely has to be taken into consideration. As the other poster mentioned in the Reuters piece, they mentioned "of course most of the deaths are in the vaccination population, they account for most of the population." Which scares the crap out of me because that means these vaccines aren't what we thought they were and aren't AS effective against the Delta variant. Is does, however, seem to be doing wonders against the Alpha variant.

What percentage of vaccinated with covid die, and what percentage of unvaccinated with covid die? The former will be a significantly smaller number than the latter. Vaccines reduce the likelihood of death, full stop.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2021, 07:12 PM   #4068
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Well for starters, its becoming clear that we don't clearly understand natural immunity, and how effective it is.

We already know COVID isn't going away.

We already know the vaccine effectiveness will wane over time.

Are we going to effectively ask people to get booster shots for the rest of their lives and go with the mandate to fire them if they don't?

I doubt it. There are already medical concerns for certain demographics with the booster shot.

So where does that leave us a year from now when our vaccine isn't as effective? Booster for everyone with a mandate, or booster for those that are most at risk, and a better understanding for natural immunity & treatments for everyone else?

Hopefully the vaccine is effective for longer than has been suggested, which does seem to be the case, but it won't be effective forever.
If hospitals are threatened and exponential growths produce daily death rates similar to today then yes mandates for boosters will remain. If this becomes the flu then mandates go away.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:24 PM   #4069
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

I'm surprised at how nobody ever talks about expanding hospital and ICU capacities (and yes hiring more doctors, nurses, etc.).

Doing things like they do in the states such as actually hiring nursing practitioners who are absolutely definitely capable of doing much if not exactly the work doctors do.

You know, actually sending more money into health care.

Does anyone think the costs to society and the economy are not worth the additional investment of what would be required to just expand capacities?

This is never discussed except once or twice by CliffFletcher who stated a couple times about how yes, we have known for a long time that the ICU capacity in Canada was woefully inadequate. Well, fix it. This problem is here to stay, obviously.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 09:31 PM   #4070
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

When the talk over the last wave was heavily focused on ICU capacity being 186% above base, I couldn't help but reflect that we are coming up on two years of dealing with covid, and the government has done nothing to bolster the health care system, and in fact have done a few things (attacking nurses, driving doctors out of rural areas, EMS fiasco, ect) to substantially weaken it. Kenney kills.
Old 10-19-2021, 09:52 PM   #4071
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
I'm surprised at how nobody ever talks about expanding hospital and ICU capacities (and yes hiring more doctors, nurses, etc.).

Doing things like they do in the states such as actually hiring nursing practitioners who are absolutely definitely capable of doing much if not exactly the work doctors do.

Does anyone think the costs to society and the economy are not worth the additional investment of what would be required to just expand capacities?

This is never discussed except once or twice by CliffFletcher who stated a couple times about how yes, we have known for a long time that the ICU capacity in Canada was woefully inadequate. Well, fix it. This problem is here to stay, obviously.
I would question with growth being exponential would that have actually helped or would it have just delayed the implementation of restrictions but not overall duration of the restrictions?

It seems like most jurisdictions reached hospital capacities regardless of what they are. I wonder if there is good analysis showing that increased icu capacity is correlated with shorter duration of restrictions.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 10:03 PM   #4072
edslunch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post

Does anyone know what the previous pre-covid peak sustained ICU load, for example during flu season?
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote