Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-12-2021, 10:14 AM   #181
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nets are not playing Kyrie until he gets vaccinated.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1447940772448309258
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 10:27 AM   #182
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

A couple questions.

1) is he going to be paid and not play?
2) on a broad level, are those vaccinated stopping transmission as their bodies kill the contagious aspect of the virus?
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 12:25 PM   #183
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

The league said in their covid policy that any player who misses games due to local mandates will not be paid for missed games as a result. I imagine it could be argued that only local games are covered by this and Kyrie is still owed money for his away games. (Although I believe the team has the right to suspend-without-pay players for conduct detrimental to the team, so they'll likely argue that's covered). Either way, they don't get any cap relief.

Everyone probably benefits from a trade scenario where he goes to a team that is not in a city with a vaccine mandate, but with him being such a mercurial player in the last year of a contract, it's difficult to gauge what the trade value is.

Last edited by octothorp; 10-12-2021 at 01:41 PM.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2021, 02:11 PM   #184
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
The league said in their covid policy that any player who misses games due to local mandates will not be paid for missed games as a result. I imagine it could be argued that only local games are covered by this and Kyrie is still owed money for his away games. (Although I believe the team has the right to suspend-without-pay players for conduct detrimental to the team, so they'll likely argue that's covered). Either way, they don't get any cap relief.

Everyone probably benefits from a trade scenario where he goes to a team that is not in a city with a vaccine mandate, but with him being such a mercurial player in the last year of a contract, it's difficult to gauge what the trade value is.
Interesting. I imagine he succumbs to the pressure and reluctantly gets his shot. The team seems to be playing it nice in hopes his latest triggering doesn’t upset him too much. I can’t imagine they’re trading him as they’re the favourites now. I think once his money depletes he’ll be reasonable. As for the second question, that’s a general q around what a vaccine will do for you. I got mine, but I haven’t heard of a reasonable explanation if the vaccine makes you less transmissible if you received your required shots.
Old 10-12-2021, 03:37 PM   #185
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

they are paying him for the away games.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1447962243010756610
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2021, 04:46 PM   #186
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Kyrie Irving always has been, and continues to be, an idiot.

He's a flat earther too, so.... yeah.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2021, 05:45 PM   #187
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s even worse. This stance (he’s not an anti-vaxxer but he’s fighting for all the other anti-vaxxers out there) is just going to get people killed as the idiots line up behind him.

https://theathletic.com/2885561/2021...shared_article
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2021, 11:51 PM   #188
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's Wainwright and Dekker or Bonga for the last two spots IMO, leaning towards Dekker. Dekker hasn't gotten a ton of minutes this preseason but tonight he played like it was his last shot. What Nurse has seen from them in practice might decide it.

Most excited for OG this season. I think he'll be in the All-Star and MIP conversation this year.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:59 AM   #189
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mile View Post
It's Wainwright and Dekker or Bonga for the last two spots IMO, leaning towards Dekker. Dekker hasn't gotten a ton of minutes this preseason but tonight he played like it was his last shot. What Nurse has seen from them in practice might decide it.

Most excited for OG this season. I think he'll be in the All-Star and MIP conversation this year.
Bonga hasn’t impressed me. Throwaway passes, shots missed, just not feeling it. I think there are too many depth guys with severe deficiencies. It’s a development year so they have to be fine with it in the name of development, but I think a couple guys should be packaged early for some better quality up front. Nurse will have to press the right buttons and sub the right guys in various situations for this to work. He’s got his work cut out for him big time. So far I’ve been most impressed with OG as well. Most disappointing has been Flynn. I thought for sure he’d take the next step out of needing to prove, but he’s been making some bone headed plays. He just can’t do the basic things right. He needs a lot of work.
Old 10-13-2021, 03:07 PM   #190
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1448273492013723653
https://twitter.com/user/status/1448273918045954048

No surprise with Gillespie, he just looked awful from the Summer League on. Wouldn't mind seeing him with the 905, but where ever he goes I hope he can turn it around because he seems like a very nice guy from his interviews last season.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mile For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2021, 05:45 PM   #191
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wainwright cut as well now, which means, barring the Raptors keeping a spot open, Dekker and Bonga making the team.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 09:06 PM   #192
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

At the end of the day none of these players will make a material difference, but Wainwright seemed to get the shaft a bit here. Bonga didn't impress at all in the bits I seen.
Old 10-18-2021, 07:26 PM   #193
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
At the end of the day none of these players will make a material difference, but Wainwright seemed to get the shaft a bit here. Bonga didn't impress at all in the bits I seen.
What you want from a bench is either that they come off with a massive jolt of energy and wear down the other team, or that they slow the game down to a defensive grind and hold an even point differential and control of the ball when the starters are back on the court.

Bonga is the second sort, and might give some insight on how Nurse is going to manage his games. Personally, I think it's fun to see the opposition stars get frustrated at not being able to score at will against a guy making 5% of his salary. I also find that if a team leans on energy alone off the bench, they usually get run by the other team's stars.

My thought anyway. I'm probably totally wrong.
Old 10-18-2021, 07:57 PM   #194
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven’t thought about it in those terms but logically it definitely adds up. In hindsight I’ve noticed that’s been their goal at times over the years in the Masai era. Smart really.
Old 10-19-2021, 10:38 AM   #195
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well on his way to being an all-time waste of talent (at least he got a massive deal I guess)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1450496839002714112
Old 10-19-2021, 11:55 AM   #196
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol. The Raps a few days ago were rumoured to be kicking the tires on him. Sounds like an egomaniac. Yesterday he was practicing with his phone in his pocket. I guess he wanted to do the bare minimum to get paid. Hope teams just abandon him and not think about his potential.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2021, 05:48 PM   #197
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Raptors introduction was so over the top. Cardinal Official is so cringe. Just get to it. Poetry? Fan video? Words from Fred? “Performance” from Cardi? Intro of roster? When does it end?
Old 10-20-2021, 05:48 PM   #198
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's do this!!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 05:49 PM   #199
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
The Raptors introduction was so over the top. Cardinal Official is so cringe. Just get to it. Poetry? Fan video? Words from Fred? “Performance” from Cardi? Intro of roster? When does it end?
Hahaha, I kind of enjoyed it LOL. I'm probably just excited for them to be back home where they belong
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2021, 05:57 PM   #200
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Hahaha, I kind of enjoyed it LOL. I'm probably just excited for them to be back home where they belong
Seeing Kardinal was great. Good on the organization for having fun with the pregame and trying to make it more of a spectacle.
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote