Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will happen to Brad Treliving after the end of the season?
He should and will be fired 167 17.06%
He should be fired, but will continue as the Flames GM 277 28.29%
He should not and will not be fired 288 29.42%
He should not but will be fired 27 2.76%
Unsure if he should be, but he will be fired 37 3.78%
Unsure if he should be, but he will not be fired 183 18.69%
Voters: 979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-17-2021, 06:23 AM   #5201
Angelino
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Have the Flames had a competent GM since Cliff Fletcher?

If you look at Risebrough, Coates, Button, Sutter, Feaster, Burke, Treliving you can understand why the Calgary franchise has been a disaster outside of a few decent years.

Angelino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 07:03 AM   #5202
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferarri View Post
Burkie must be so happy to have escaped this mess of a team.
We’re in this mess because of his rushed rebuild.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2021, 07:49 AM   #5203
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Yup. That's about right. He tried to force critical mass and it didn't result in anything. The Hamilton trade was a good one. The Hamonic trade was the one that set the club back. He should have held on the path of drafting and building. Hamilton was young and highly skilled, so he fit the need and was worth the long term investment. Hamonic was an over the top type trade, and the team was no where near that point. We were short some top end players that you only get through the draft. That one mistake damned us to mediocrity.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 08:03 AM   #5204
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Yup. That's about right. He tried to force critical mass and it didn't result in anything. The Hamilton trade was a good one. The Hamonic trade was the one that set the club back. He should have held on the path of drafting and building. Hamilton was young and highly skilled, so he fit the need and was worth the long term investment. Hamonic was an over the top type trade, and the team was no where near that point. We were short some top end players that you only get through the draft. That one mistake damned us to mediocrity.
Not to mention the hiring of garbage coaches who didn't help at all
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 08:05 AM   #5205
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Who was the GM in the last 7 yrs, Burke?
Flamesfan05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 08:22 AM   #5206
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Whose choice/direction was it to expedite the rebuild? To me it seems highly suspect that a GM who enters a situation where he presumably has at least 2-3 years of collecting assets would change course so quickly. I recall Treliving saying after he dealt Glencross, I believe, that despite the Flames being in the playoff chase they were in asset collection mode. For them to goon, make the playoffs and win a round was entirely unexpected. Who wouldn’t want to take advantage of that time and build your organization through drafting and development? Is this organizational direction something that Treliving decided for himself? Unlikely.

For the Flames to have made the playoffs and win a round in Treliving’s first year and then attempt to accelerate their rebuild and solidify themselves as a playoff team seems pretty consistent with how this organization has conducted itself for almost two decades. What was it that Burke said when he was hired by the Leafs? I believe it was something along the lines of ‘I’m too old and too impatient for a rebuild’. That was 5 years prior to Burke joining the Flames. To me, it seems like the objectives and barometer for success, as far as this organization is concerned, is set by ownership. I think the issues that belie this organization are deeper than the GM and whoever is the GM will have to reconcile their own ‘intellectual honesty’, as Feaster put it, and the objectives set by ownership.

I think it’s highly likely that Treliving is down to his last year short of a successful year. By that I mean, make the playoffs, win a round, and there would have to be some real evidence that the team is on an upward trajectory. This is also why I think the Flames will be ‘chips in’ on Eichel. Very interesting season ahead. It’s either going to be a spectacular failure, or an unlikely success.
TOfan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2021, 08:23 AM   #5207
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
Not to mention the hiring of garbage coaches who didn't help at all
Fresh take score: 10/10. Great point.
Old 10-17-2021, 08:58 AM   #5208
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Garbage GM who continues to ice a ####ty product on the ice. 3 off-seasons with no changes to the core and the complaint is still the same - top guys still not doing enough.Can't wait until he is fired. Worst GM in the league.
I think we almost need a rule on a timeline after a loss before you're allowed to unnecessarily bump a repetitive decade long topic.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2021, 09:25 AM   #5209
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Now we're blaming Burke? I think the finger should be squarely pointed at Harvie the Hound.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2021, 10:07 AM   #5210
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Now we're blaming Burke? I think the finger should be squarely pointed at Harvie the Hound.
I guess this is in response to my post, but unlike many here, I don’t think there is one person to blame. The current situation the Flames find themselves in is due to a multitude of reasons. Some of which are at the feet of the GM, but not all of them.

Carry on with the witch hunt though. Gotta find someone to blame, right?
Old 10-17-2021, 10:14 AM   #5211
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
I guess this is in response to my post, but unlike many here, I don’t think there is one person to blame. The current situation the Flames find themselves in is due to a multitude of reasons. Some of which are at the feet of the GM, but not all of them.

It wasn't and take a joke man. Yes, the witch hunt ends with Harvey.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 10:17 AM   #5212
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

It would make sense if Treliving is on the job for 2-3 yrs. It’s his 7th year. He totally owns it now. I mean we can’t blame the color guy on TSN, maybe we should blame Craig Button also? I like too lol
Flamesfan05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 11:13 AM   #5213
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
It would make sense if Treliving is on the job for 2-3 yrs. It’s his 7th year. He totally owns it now. I mean we can’t blame the color guy on TSN, maybe we should blame Craig Button also? I like too lol
If you’re suggesting ownership hasn’t had some input on direction of the club, I think your likely mistaken.
Old 10-17-2021, 11:44 AM   #5214
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you’re suggesting ownership hasn’t had some input on direction of the club, I think your likely mistaken.
I dislike this take.

Every ownership around the league has something to do with roster matters. Treliving has had the ability to spend to the cap ceiling every year - and he's done just that. He's spent money and futures recklessly during his entire time here.

Part of Treliving's most recent contract was that he would have full autonomy over hockey operations/decisions (likely separating him from needing King's permission etc). This roster is Treliving's work - and flat out? His decisions on his first contract when he seemingly didn't have full autonomy were better than his decisions while he's had full control.

Last edited by ComixZone; 10-17-2021 at 11:46 AM.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2021, 12:12 PM   #5215
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I dislike this take.

Every ownership around the league has something to do with roster matters. Treliving has had the ability to spend to the cap ceiling every year - and he's done just that. He's spent money and futures recklessly during his entire time here.

Part of Treliving's most recent contract was that he would have full autonomy over hockey operations/decisions (likely separating him from needing King's permission etc). This roster is Treliving's work - and flat out? His decisions on his first contract when he seemingly didn't have full autonomy were better than his decisions while he's had full control.
Those are fair and accurate points to my recollection.

Let me ask this though, do you think Treliving has the autonomy to trade for Eichel? What about the supposed intervention from ownership on the Sutter hiring? Didn’t Treliving get told ‘no’ on a James Neal buyout?
Old 10-17-2021, 08:53 PM   #5216
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I dislike this take.

The drunken spending happened under Burke's watch

Quote:
With Burke (4 yrs together):
- Hamonic trade
- Elliott trade
- Brouwer signing and BO
- Bennett's prime development years
- Gulutzan
- Michael Stone trade and signing (eventually BO)
- Mike Smith trade
- Raymond signing and BO
- Losing Byron
- Bollig trade (3rd rder)
- Lazar trade
- 2014 draft faliures (0 gp other than Bennett despite picks 34, 54, 64)
- Hamilton trade*

- Bill Peters was hired 5 days before Burke was finished...*

Post-Burke (3 yrs)

- Neal signing
- Bennett's continued development failure and trade
- Kulak trade
- Ward
- Lose Brodie/Hamonic as UFAs with no return*
- Picks for Gus, Bort, Fantenberg*
- Tkachuk contract*
- League min. guys this year not working out well*

*debatable as a 'blunder', but notable/discussion worthy
https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpo...postcount=3627

This isn't updated to this off-season..the decisions are generally better recently IMO...
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 09:03 PM   #5217
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:

Irrelevant if it’s just Tre or (Tre + some % ownership), no?
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 08:17 AM   #5218
nixon45
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think this thread will come in handy today and I'll be the jerk who bumps it and gets #### on.

Another swing and a miss from Tre on the Eichel deal. Maybe it was more of a bunt attempt that he popped up right to the catcher. He's a BAD GM.

Just waiting for the inevitable " well we liked what we offered but weren't prepared to do xyz" bull#### he trots out every time after these things happen.

I'm completely done with this guy. Once the wheels fall off this hot start his (GM) life should be very uncomfortable.
nixon45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 08:19 AM   #5219
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 08:25 AM   #5220
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't even think he's a bad GM. I think he's a middling GM and that's not good enough for an organization that hasn't won a Stanley Cup since 1989 and has had little in the way of success since then. There are a lot of reasons why Brad Treliving needs to go but not overpaying for Jack Eichel isn't one of them. I feel this is a case of the best move being the one you don't make.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post: