Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should Calgary Bid on the 2026 Olympics
Yes 286 46.28%
No 261 42.23%
Determine by plebiscite 71 11.49%
Voters: 618. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 11:03 AM   #2001
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
DiracSpike - what was the negative press Calgary got from hosting the 1988 Olympics?
Talking to my parents apparently there was some negative press on lack of snow, i don't know though I wasn't alive then.

But to the point I guess you're trying to make, yea it was mostly positive. By all accounts 88 was a verys successful games. It means nothing 30 years in the future though, especially as the risk factors I identified either didn't exist in 88 or have been GREATLY magnified.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2018, 11:03 AM   #2002
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Cool, I'll bet you $10,000 there's environmental protests in 2026. I'll put it in escrow that Bingo or whoever can be the custodian of, you add your $10,000 and we wait 8 years. Since you think there won't be any protests in 2026, easiest money you'll ever make.
When did I say there won't be any protests? I merely asked if there was negative press for the '88 Olympics.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2018, 11:04 AM   #2003
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
When did I say there won't be any protests? I merely asked if there was negative press for the '88 Olympics.
As a way of saying there won't be in 2026. I would suggest stopping, you're only making yourself look worse. Either way my last post, you managed to troll a few more posts out of me so well done.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:05 AM   #2004
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Alright to end this ####ing charade once and for all....

The world mostly had no clue about the oil sands in 1988. They sure as #### do now in 2018. 2026 will be the biggest opportunity to ever protest, at a time where getting media coverage is easier than it has ever been. Where there protests in 1988? Nope. But this is how pathetic the Yes side has gotten. "Hey y'all, just assume everything contextually will be the same as 1988". I get that the Yes side is heading to defeat and wants to try and do anything it can to prop up it's sad bid that it can't even explain to people because the process has been so embarrassing, but making yourself seem like Simple Jack is really unbecoming. Even most Yes people are looking at those posts and thinking "Dude, you're not helping".
That’s the post content to end a charade?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2018, 11:06 AM   #2005
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The world mostly had no clue about the oil sands in 1988. They sure as #### do now in 2018. 2026 will be the biggest opportunity to ever protest, at a time where getting media coverage is easier than it has ever been. Where there protests in 1988? Nope. But this is how pathetic the Yes side has gotten. "Hey y'all, just assume everything contextually will be the same as 1988". I get that the Yes side is heading to defeat and wants to try and do anything it can to prop up it's sad bid that it can't even explain to people because the process has been so embarrassing, but making yourself seem like Simple Jack is really unbecoming. Even most Yes people are looking at those posts and thinking "Dude, you're not helping".
You have to be the most rude and condescending poster on this board. Your go-to argument is to insult everyone and use incredibly inflammatory language and hyperbole to get your point across.

Can you post without resorting to crap like this? It really lowers the quality of the discussion.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2018, 11:06 AM   #2006
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Well after listening to Mary Moran, i have to say she is a really good point person for BidCo. Well spoken and very good at her role.

I'm also sure she is completely fudging numbers as well, or at least being disingenuous with some of them. Apparently on the sudden "savings" in security costs were long known, but weren't finalized til the very moment the bid was about to be killed dead. Quite the fortuitous timing for them i guess.

But the one statement/explanation that takes the cake?

That including a new NHL level arena would damage the chances of winning the bid....with the IOC. They are the altruistic ones that only want legacy venues that the public can use for years down the road and building something the city actually needs will hurt the bid.

OK then.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:11 AM   #2007
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:

I'm definately on the No side at this time and i can positively say "Dude, you're not helping" either.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:12 AM   #2008
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I'm definately on the No side at this time and i can positively say "Dude, you're not helping" either.
I'm not trying to help. I'm just sick of the Yes side using absurd arguments to hide the real reason they want the Olympics, the party. I honestly wish they'd just go with that, I respect that opinion far more than the "benefits" opinion.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:13 AM   #2009
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yay, let's let environmental protesters cow our city?
Old 11-02-2018, 11:14 AM   #2010
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
Talking to my parents apparently there was some negative press on lack of snow, i don't know though I wasn't alive then.
We had a chinook that week - people were walking around without jackets downtown. Very windy too IIRC.

That is is problem with Calgary in February - it can be -30 C, or it could be +10 C with gusting winds.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:14 AM   #2011
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:

But to the point I guess you're trying to make, yea it was mostly positive. By all accounts 88 was a verys successful games. It means nothing 30 years in the future though, especially as the risk factors I identified either didn't exist in 88 or have been GREATLY magnified.
I understand what you are saying, and yes - things have changed for media attention and focusing on both positive and negatives of Olympics hosting. That said, I do believe the generally positive results of the '88 Olympics does carry some weight with both the IOC and Calgarians, both from a track record and nostalgic sense. I am of the opinion that many Calgarians will vote in favor because that's the games they relate it to, and possibly also the general success of Vancouver. Just my opinion though.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:16 AM   #2012
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not trying to help. I'm just sick of the Yes side using absurd arguments to hide the real reason they want the Olympics, the party. I honestly wish they'd just go with that, I respect that opinion far more than the "benefits" opinion.
Fair enough.

Im moreso just trying to work my way through the noise from both sides and get a bottom line to cost vs benefit....and there will be benefits, its just how many, where and how much will they cost.

Thus far the yes side with their truly asinine ROI nonsense and last minute "savings" etc have really made me suspicious of anything they are claiming.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:17 AM   #2013
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Yay, let's let environmental protesters cow our city?
I'm just saying it's a risk. I'm receptive to the argument that boosting the City's international profile is a good thing and possible benefit to the games but it's not a guarantee that it's all positive attention. It does pain me to point that out though because I don't like cowing in any way to these morons either.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:18 AM   #2014
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
We had a chinook that week - people were walking around without jackets downtown. Very windy too IIRC.

That is is problem with Calgary in February - it can be -30 C, or it could be +10 C with gusting winds.
IIRC it hit 17C one day...i think the Thursday of week 1.

Also IIRC, i think some events were postponed....including some ski stuff.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:19 AM   #2015
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It was really warm. I had tickets to go to the bobsleds with my Dad and they were postponed due to warm weather. But I think any press at the time was more informative of the conditions, where these days it would have tried to have a more negative spin.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:19 AM   #2016
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Curious as to people's thoughts on YYC businesses coming out in favour or against?

WestJet had a press release today saying they are in favour. The Strategic Group has a tweet out saying they too are for the bid.

I haven't looked into it much but has any business come out against?

Last edited by Bigtime; 11-02-2018 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:22 AM   #2017
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

If this happens in 2026, I hope the opening/closing ceremonies don't involve chuck-wagons and square dancers again.

More is expected now - could do something cool around native lore, dinosaurs, energy technology. What else?
Old 11-02-2018, 11:23 AM   #2018
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
It was really warm. I had tickets to go to the bobsleds with my Dad and they were postponed due to warm weather. But I think any press at the time was more informative of the conditions, where these days it would have tried to have a more negative spin.
I definitely think so, especially with social media. As we all know, a brown windy Calgary in February is pretty gross and really not the best face to put forward.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:27 AM   #2019
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
IIRC it hit 17C one day...i think the Thursday of week 1.

Also IIRC, i think some events were postponed....including some ski stuff.
Indeed, it was very warm, especially the last week.

Old 11-02-2018, 11:27 AM   #2020
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
You have to be the most rude and condescending poster on this board. Your go-to argument is to insult everyone and use incredibly inflammatory language and hyperbole to get your point across.

Can you post without resorting to crap like this? It really lowers the quality of the discussion.
I'm definitely a belligerent ####### about this one (and the arena, but less so), but it's one of those things that drives me insane about politicians. Why can't we secure this funding without the Olympics? There is truly no good reason other than lack of political will and cowardice. And to get the funding, we have to assume a massive risk. The public always has to carry the risk, not the politicians. Then to see the public carrying their water rather than holding them to the fire as to why we can't get this out of citizen need rather than a one off event...it just drives me insane.