Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2018, 11:17 AM   #101
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
Call me crazy but I think the London knights would have had a good shot in the memorial cup year.
You're crazy.

The Canadian WJ team barely competes against university teams. And the WJ team would destroy London. And this Canadian Olympic team would soundly defeat a university team.

It would not even be close. It would be Canada vs Kazakhstan ugly.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 01-11-2018 at 11:19 AM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 11:19 AM   #102
bzoo02
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Yeah that's pretty obvious. You have no idea what you're even complaining about. Some vague perception of the concept of best on best being some sort of defining part of sports yet being totally unquantifiable and pretty much meaningless, which means absolutely nothing but somehow ruins the entire tournament for you...ok then.
I suppose I'm simply a believer that the Olympics should be a display of the best athletes in the world at their respective sports.

In all the other events this is the case (except of course for the lack Russian participants).
bzoo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:21 AM   #103
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I'm excited to watch this team. Who cares if they aren't NHLers. Actually, it's quite refreshing to see. Team Canada at the Spengler Cup is full of non-NHLers and that's a fun tournament to watch too.

Don't really give a crap if the Crosbys and McDavids aren't in this tournament. Let some other guys shine in the spotlight this time.
Said no one ever. twice.

Even the NHL all star game will be a better watch.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:24 AM   #104
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Said no one ever. twice.

Speak for yourself. The Spengler Cup is awesome, and I enjoy it more than the World Juniors that everyone goes ape poop over.

I would love to catch the tourney in that majestic arena and atmosphere someday.

These Olympics will be intriguing to watch still. Just because it's not NHL players doesn't mean that hockey still won't be good. If anything, it'll be fun to watch since Canada is not a lock to win gold. The competition should be more balanced.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 11:26 AM   #105
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Speak for yourself. The Spengler Cup is awesome, and I enjoy it more than the World Juniors that everyone goes ape poop over.

I would love to catch the tourney in that majestic arena and atmosphere someday.
It's at the top of my list for sure. Can't wait to take in a game in that city and that barn.

To everyone complaining, you knew this was coming right? Is this news? I'm assuming you all have enough negative comments from other threads when it was rumoured and then announced that the NHL wasn't going. This is about the roster, we (the people excited to cheer for fellow Canadians competing against the world) are looking forward to it and already know it isn't "best on best". Shut it already.

Last edited by TheFlamesVan; 01-11-2018 at 11:29 AM.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:28 AM   #106
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post

These Olympics will be intriguing to watch still. Just because it's not NHL players doesn't mean that hockey still won't be good. If anything, it'll be fun to watch since Canada is not a lock to win gold. The competition should be more balanced.
Crap. I had to google who won it this year. I guess Canada won it 3 years in a row. neat.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:30 AM   #107
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
You're crazy.

The Canadian WJ team barely competes against university teams. And the WJ team would destroy London. And this Canadian Olympic team would soundly defeat a university team.

It would not even be close. It would be Canada vs Kazakhstan ugly.
Tkachuk - Dvorak - Marner would be a way better line then any Canada line. Parsons is a big game player. I do see what you are saying tho, depth wise they would be exposed.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:39 AM   #108
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Said no one ever. twice.

Well, I'm someone. And I'll say it twice. Seems like I'm not alone on this, either.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:44 AM   #109
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, I'm someone. And I'll say it twice. Seems like I'm not alone on this, either.
Sure. I'm sure it has a niche fan base. I mean even on CP the entire Spengler Cup thread didn't even have 60 posts and during the gold medal game it had 3 posts about it. By the same guy, dash-pinched. haha

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...light=spengler
Old 01-11-2018, 11:47 AM   #110
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

did anyone watch the tune up tournament Canada played last month before the Spengler Cup and how did they do?

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 11:48 AM   #111
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Women's tournament will be far more meaningful considering it's best on best
I can hardly wait for the onslaught of 10-1 games until the inevitable Canada/USA gold medal game for the 10th time in a row....so meaningful.

It's like some fans are obtusely being dismissive of this men's event for fear of losing. This is going to end up being just as entertaining as any other event and these guys are probably going to surprise us all by how hard they're all willing to play. Some of these guys will be looking for one last contract or NHL tryouts next fall from the exposure here and will be playing their butts off for the country.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:50 AM   #112
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sure. I'm sure it has a niche fan base. I mean even on CP the entire Spengler Cup thread didn't even have 60 posts and during the gold medal game it had 3 posts about it. By the same guy, dash-pinched. haha

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...light=spengler
So a CP thread is indicative of all of Team Canada fans around the world?

There's more to hockey than just the NHL, you know.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 11:51 AM   #113
BlackWallStreet
Scoring Winger

Exp:

team captain: Rene Bourque
BlackWallStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:53 AM   #114
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So a CP thread is indicative of all of Team Canada fans around the world?

There's more to hockey than just the NHL, you know.
Oh for sure. My original point was that it's not that interesting, and that not a lot of people on here would care about it. And judging by that thread it seems to be true.
and you have joborule who said he enjoyed it more than the world jrs but he never posted once in it..

Last edited by Johnny Makarov; 01-11-2018 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:58 AM   #115
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh for sure. My original point was that it's not that interesting, and that not a lot of people on here would care about it. And judging by that thread it seems to be true.
Does it get the attention World Juniors do? No, but only Canada gives a crap about it. The USA, and euro nations don't care about the World Juniors at all.

Might be the same level of interest that Canadians give to the Spengler Cup, which always is on a TV when people are either just getting up, or sleeping in their beds still. Meanwhile the arena is always sold out and packed full of energy. I'm not sure what the TV ratings are in Europe for it, but perhaps do to proximity and the teams that are participating, it may draw in good viewership in relation.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:02 PM   #116
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Pretty cool for Wolski considering he broke his neck in that ugly collision into the boards October 2016.

Quote:
"Exactly one year ago today I laid in a hospital bed after having surgery to fix a broken neck. Today I am so proud and excited to have been named to Canada’s Olympic Hockey Team. I look at the picture of me in the hospital and can’t help but cry. Mostly tears of happiness, but I am filled with so many emotions about what I have overcome. I could never have imagined that I would be so lucky one year later."
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd0bl4KnRxb/
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 12:07 PM   #117
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
I can hardly wait for the onslaught of 10-1 games until the inevitable Canada/USA gold medal game for the 10th time in a row....so meaningful.

It's like some fans are obtusely being dismissive of this men's event for fear of losing. This is going to end up being just as entertaining as any other event and these guys are probably going to surprise us all by how hard they're all willing to play. Some of these guys will be looking for one last contract or NHL tryouts next fall from the exposure here and will be playing their butts off for the country.
Which is why I think women's hockey should be scrutinized and possibly removed from the Olympics until its competitive. Just like softball was taken off the agenda till the completion improved. Reinstated for 2020. Softball was removed for a similar reason. (Baseball reasons were unknown)
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:24 PM   #118
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
Was holding out hope on Jarome.
Why do you keep saying this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:29 PM   #119
goodyear
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Not to take away from the players on the team, but if it's not best on best, then it's a nothing tournament. Kind of like soccer at the summer games.

Although, this may close talent gap between the top 6 hockey countries with the rest of the teams in the tournament. Maybe even a chance for the hosts to make some noise.

Thanks Gary

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
goodyear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to goodyear For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 12:34 PM   #120
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodyear View Post
Not to take away from the players on the team, but if it's not best on best, then it's a nothing tournament. Kind of like soccer at the summer games.

Although, this may close talent gap between the top 6 hockey countries with the rest of the teams in the tournament. Maybe even a chance for the hosts to make some noise.

Thanks Gary

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
First of all: Yes. Thanks Gary. Thanks for telling the IOC and the IIHF to pound sand on a terrible deal. That was an astute piece of work.

Secondly: You should be thanking the Players and the NHLPA. They are the primary group responsible for no NHL participation.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: