Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2018, 02:20 PM   #201
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
What is the cause of his frustration?
-44 on new years eve
Old 01-08-2018, 02:20 PM   #202
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
What is the cause of his frustration?
Lavoie implies lack of usage, averaging 17 mins in Florida vs 13 mins in Calgary and also claims Florida treated Jagr like a king.

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/201...ins-essentiels
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:21 PM   #203
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Ren Lavoie's most recent article says that Jagr is so frustrated he wants to leave Calgary FWIW.
Lavoie hasn't said a nice thing about Calgary since Hartley's firing so I'd take that with a grain of salt.

But other than that I don't think this is a big mystery.

The guy has had a tough time recovering from a lingering injury and given his quotes through the season you know he has pride and doesn't want to let a team down.

I'm guessing he's pretty frustrated for sure, but I think it's the injury and it's lack of progress.

My gut says he wants to call it and the Flames are asking him to just go on the DL for a longer term and fix it.

Just guessing though.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2018, 02:27 PM   #204
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Palm trees eh? Back to Florida?
Flames are going to Florida this week.

As for lack of usage, click bait from an Eastern writer.

The game before he got hurt he played a couple shifts on the top line as Ferland was struggling to start the year.
He played PP for a few games before the first injury, and after returning the first injury too.

The rest of the time was part of getting in shape, only in the last few games did he play 4th line and then was moved up to the second line after Frolik injury.

So “usage” in so far as where he was slotted in, was more then reasonable given his need for conditioning and protection as he gets that conditioning.

Outside of the game he was hurt, he had between 15 and 19 shifts in each game, playing between around 12 to 16 minutes each game...so very consistent.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:28 PM   #205
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lavoie implies lack of usage, averaging 17 mins in Florida vs 13 mins in Calgary and also claims Florida treated Jagr like a king.

sounds like someone who hasn't watched a single Flames game this season and is just guessing...Florida treated him so well they didn't want him back after an 81 game 46 point season
Old 01-08-2018, 02:38 PM   #206
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I wish I could let every advertiser and the people that run the Fan 960 that they lose me every time this guy comes on the radio.

It's horrible listening to this Montreal Canadiens super fan rip the Flames every time he's on because we fired fellow francophone Bob Hartley.

Find another insider for the afternoon show - Ren is awful.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:44 PM   #207
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Lavoie hasn't said a nice thing about Calgary since Hartley's firing so I'd take that with a grain of salt.

But other than that I don't think this is a big mystery.

The guy has had a tough time recovering from a lingering injury and given his quotes through the season you know he has pride and doesn't want to let a team down.

I'm guessing he's pretty frustrated for sure, but I think it's the injury and it's lack of progress.

My gut says he wants to call it and the Flames are asking him to just go on the DL for a longer term and fix it.

Just guessing though.
Agreed on the Lavoie part.

As I said before, with the laying of the law from Treliving to GG, the removal of the special status of F Hamilton, and the brutal honesty to Jagr to not play at all until 100% healthy and in shape for his and the teams good, and maybe the team suggests he really should get surgery, that was the shakeup. I think JJ is trying to play through things and the team has let him, and that stopped last weekend.

To get to 100%, he may need surgery or it’s at least an option, minor surgery.
If he wants surgery or is suggested to get it from the Flames doctors, shouldn’t he be doing this while a Flame, as opposed to being cut loose? Then he gets it covered by the Flames as well as rehab etc, as opposed to doing it on his own.

So, faced with this, that he thinks he doesn’t really need surgery and maybe the team does, he’s a bit miffed st the Flames, but if he is or isn’t, my thought is that he thinks he can maybe work through the injury in time for the Olympics and play through it, and end his career that way.

The Flames I think want him to get healthy and keep him around so that in a month or so, he’s ready for a playoff run as a required spare body who can and will play and help.

Jagr then has to decide on surgery which keeps him probably in Calgary, or skip surgery with the chance to play for CZE at the Olympics as the two options, maybe finishing off playing in Kladno.

Tough call, assuming he’d make the Olympic team in the first place. Would mean his career in NHL is done, whereas if he rehabbed here in that same time, he’d have a chance at one more NHL playoff run.

So I think that’s the call he’s trying to make, Olympics or Calgary for another 4-6 months, with no guarantees on his health whichever he chooses, though a better chance he’s healthy and gets properly looked after if he stays here.

Last edited by browna; 01-08-2018 at 02:48 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:48 PM   #208
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

And my damn Jagr jersey just showed up today!
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to schteve_d For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2018, 02:55 PM   #209
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Jagr said at the start he didn't care if he played on the 3rd or 4th line as long as he was contributing and helping the team.

This isn't due to usage and I fully believe the Flames wouldn't want to part with the depth he provides (when healthy). We don't have as much depth on forward as we do on defense and in goal and we don't have much currency for trades so this doesn't make sense as a Flames driven parting of ways.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:57 PM   #210
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

as a Habs fan I can confirm that Lavoie is a hack.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2018, 02:57 PM   #211
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can see why the Flames would want to move on. Jagr has been pretty underwhelming and their callups are showing more. Make room for the kids who are bringing more to the table. Goes for Jagr, Stajan, or whoever.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:11 PM   #212
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I can see why the Flames would want to move on. Jagr has been pretty underwhelming and their callups are showing more. Make room for the kids who are bringing more to the table. Goes for Jagr, Stajan, or whoever.
There is enough roster spots to keep all the kids who have played a game for the team and Jagr, even when Frolik comes back..

Unless they have designs on Hrivik (2 games as a healthy scratch) or Klimchuk replacing Stajan or Brouwer as regulars I don't see what the issue is:

Gadureau, Monahan, Ferland, Tkachuk, Backlund, Frolik, Bennett, Jankowski, Hathaway, Stajan, Brouwer, Jagr, Lazar and Mangiapane.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:27 PM   #213
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
It was (a) a shootout goal (b) against the Isles and (c) they dropped him later in the preseason, not right after the game.
They should not have dropped him at all.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2018, 03:46 PM   #214
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
They should not have dropped him at all.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:46 PM   #215
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
sounds like someone who hasn't watched a single Flames game this season and is just guessing...Florida treated him so well they didn't want him back after an 81 game 46 point season
He was on the Montreal trip. He's seen at least two games.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:47 PM   #216
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe Jags really wants the games played record and therefore wants to avoid surgery which would kill that chance. Flames want him to be 100% and don't care about the record but Jags wants to play through it cause the most important thing to him is the record?
Old 01-08-2018, 03:47 PM   #217
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

No sources on this but I think the injury is a big part of the issue.

Jagr doesn't want to go on the IR to fix the issue and personally I think he wants to play through it (maybe somewhat selfishly to try and break the GP record).

My guess is the Flames just want him to go on IR to get healthy and maybe give it another shot later in the year.

And that might be why the Flames are letting his agent talk to other teams.

If there is a team out there willing to let him play through the injury maybe he goes there, if not them maybe he goes on IR, or is done all together not wanting to have to rehab an injury late in the season.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2018, 03:47 PM   #218
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Maybe Jags really wants the games played record and therefore wants to avoid surgery which would kill that chance. Flames want him to be 100% and don't care about the record but Jags wants to play through it cause the most important thing to him is the record?
This is what I think is happening. He knows it's his last year and wants to just lace em up the rest of the season.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:46 PM   #219
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racki View Post
I wish I could let every advertiser and the people that run the Fan 960 that they lose me every time this guy comes on the radio.

It's horrible listening to this Montreal Canadiens super fan rip the Flames every time he's on because we fired fellow francophone Bob Hartley.

Find another insider for the afternoon show - Ren is awful.
I thought I was the only one! Lavoie is terrible
Dentoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:23 PM   #220
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

So as a curiosity, let's say that JJ's agent *does* find a team that will take him as is....how would that actually happen?

Do the Flames trade him to the other team for $1? "Future considerations" (like a really, really good bottle of wine?). I'm guessing not waivers though?
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote