Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-14-2018, 08:29 PM   #141
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw the movie "Mandy" this afternoon, and it's just as bizarre as I expected. A wacko revenge-thriller on acid.

This movie has everything: weird f'd up characters, demons on motorcycles, gratuitous over-the-top violence/gore, amazing visuals, creepy soundtrack, and a bats**t crazy performance by Nic Cage. Seriously, what more do you want?

direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2018, 06:02 PM   #142
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Blackkklansman.. wow..
Saw it today. Fantastic movie, powerful with some beautifully shot scenes as for the most part, subtly acted.

My only quibble and it’s entirely a personal one. It wasn’t shot on location in Colorado Springs other than some general scenery shots. Having spent a lot of time there was hoping to see some familiar places.

edit: Also dying to know if CP member Senator Clay Davis has seen this movie yet.

Last edited by Strange Brew; 09-15-2018 at 07:54 PM.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:48 PM   #143
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Saw the movie "Mandy" this afternoon, and it's just as bizarre as I expected. A wacko revenge-thriller on acid.

This movie has everything: weird f'd up characters, demons on motorcycles, gratuitous over-the-top violence/gore, amazing visuals, creepy soundtrack, and a bats**t crazy performance by Nic Cage. Seriously, what more do you want?

Chainsaw battle too? Well #### me, I guess I'm going to have to see that. Probably without the wife. I don't think she'd appreciate it.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 03:42 PM   #144
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Chainsaw battle too? Well #### me, I guess I'm going to have to see that. Probably without the wife. I don't think she'd appreciate it.
Just finished it.

Slow start, but it launches into a pretty intense murder acid trip. Fully leans into the insanity.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2018, 05:16 PM   #145
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Just finished it.

Slow start, but it launches into a pretty intense murder acid trip. Fully leans into the insanity.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:31 AM   #146
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

Guess I'm in the minority, but i thought Mandy was horrible - didn't get into it at all
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:35 AM   #147
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Searching was excellent.
J pold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:43 PM   #148
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Just finished it.

It's getting good reviews but I was hesitant seeing it's a Cage movie but I'm going to have to check it out.

While on the topic of B grade horror movies I would recommend a French movie called Revenge. It's at 93% on Rotten Tomatoes and while it's a little corny, it's violent and very, very bloody. Maybe the most blood I have seen in a movie since Peter Jackson's Dead Alive.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 01:32 PM   #149
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, shame on me as I should have looked and seen that this guy wrote the turd that was the Independence Day sequel. Holy cow, Geostorm was AWFUL. No, I didn't expect Citizen Kane, please avoid this "film".
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2018, 01:40 PM   #150
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Geostorm was hilarious.

Gerard Butler: "I'm not going anywhere with you, and nothing you say will convince me."
GB's movie brother: "But the world needs you!"
Gerard Butler: "Ok then. When do we leave?"

The dialogue and exposition in that movie had me laughing out loud on the plane as I was watching it. Just...astoundingly bad.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2018, 02:03 PM   #151
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Geostorm was hilarious.

Gerard Butler: "I'm not going anywhere with you, and nothing you say will convince me."
GB's movie brother: "But the world needs you!"
Gerard Butler: "Ok then. When do we leave?"

The dialogue and exposition in that movie had me laughing out loud on the plane as I was watching it. Just...astoundingly bad.
Also watched on a plane ! Amazing plane movie !
Jason14h is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 02:07 PM   #152
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Also watched on a plane ! Amazing plane movie !
I generally try to save movies like that for instances like being on a plane, where I literally have nothing better to do.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:15 PM   #153
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It's getting good reviews but I was hesitant seeing it's a Cage movie but I'm going to have to check it out.

While on the topic of B grade horror movies I would recommend a French movie called Revenge. It's at 93% on Rotten Tomatoes and while it's a little corny, it's violent and very, very bloody. Maybe the most blood I have seen in a movie since Peter Jackson's Dead Alive.
Yeah Revenge was pretty fun. Definitely an entertaining B horror movie.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:20 PM   #154
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

^^^^ There is a 2009 film called "Revanche", which means Revenge in French but it's an Austrian film. For a second, I thought you were talking about that movie. "Revanche" is a great film. Worth seeking out. Trailer below but NSFW.

NSFW!
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:20 PM   #155
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Calgary International Film Festival (CIFF) starts tomorrow:
September 19-30, 2018

https://www.calgaryfilm.com/

Quote:
The Calgary International Film Festival is a 12-day showcase of up to 200 multi-genre feature and short films from Canada and over 50 other countries. The festival hosts gala events, screenings, special presentations, and a Behind the Screen series that emphasizes unique and exciting ways for filmmakers and fans to interact.

The Calgary International Film Festival is now the largest film festival in Alberta and is the sixth largest in Canada. It is also an Oscar-qualifying festival for short films and was named one of "50 Film Festivals Worth the Entry Fee" in both 2016 & 2017 by MovieMaker Magazine.

Film Guide:
https://calgaryfilm2018.eventive.org...622.1537305442
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:23 PM   #156
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

HEAVY TRIP
Thursday, September 20, 2018 7:00 PM
Globe Cinema - Down

https://calgaryfilm2018.eventive.org...d53e00147b586a

Quote:
In this hilarious and heartfelt heavy metal comedy from Finland, Turo (Johannes Holopainen) is stuck in a small Finnish village, where the best thing in his life is being the lead vocalist for the amateur metal band Impaled Rektum. The only problem? He and his bandmates have practiced for 12 years without playing a single gig.

So when the guys get a surprise visitor from Norway—the promoter for a huge heavy metal music festival—they need to stop making excuses, get over the stage fright, and make a potentially life-altering decision. Along the way, they'll steal a van, a corpse, and even a new drummer, in order to make their metal dreams a head-bangin' reality.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:32 PM   #157
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I really recommend:

The End Of The Tour - Starring Jesse Eisenberg and Jason Segal. Based on a true story about a Rolling Stone reporter, played by Eisenberg, interviewing American author David Foster Wallace, played by Jason Segal. I don't want to give too much away but I thought it was fantastic. You just enter their little world for five days and watch all of their insecurities and anxieties unfold. Really great movie.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2018, 06:09 AM   #158
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had a couple long flights recently so of course more reviews:

Blockers: This was clever and genuinely funny while handling the subject matter with tact. Yeah there are some dumb gross out scenes, Leslie Mann is annoying AF, and the ending seemed a little too convenient but overall this is fun and heartwarming which is something you rarely say about a sex comedy. Also, I want to give credit to John Cena for turning himself into a half decent comedic actor. 7.5/10

Coco: Dammit Pixar can you stop cutting onions in here? I haven't cried like this since Inside Out. Along with being sad this one is also very weird and dark. The plot follows a predictable formula but it takes the story into interesting directions with good visuals and music. 9/10

The Disaster Artist: Nothing too deep or groundbreaking about this one, it just tells an interesting story and tells it well. Great acting from the Franco bros and everyone else in the solid cast. This was well paced with both hilarity and cringe. 9/10

Geostorm: The screen writers didn't bother putting any effort into this movie so I am not going to bother putting any effort into this review. It sucked but verged into so bad it was good. 3/10
Old 09-21-2018, 05:35 PM   #159
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
I really recommend:

The End Of The Tour - Starring Jesse Eisenberg and Jason Segal. Based on a true story about a Rolling Stone reporter, played by Eisenberg, interviewing American author David Foster Wallace, played by Jason Segal. I don't want to give too much away but I thought it was fantastic. You just enter their little world for five days and watch all of their insecurities and anxieties unfold. Really great movie.
Agreed. I really loved the movie too. Not for everyone as it was essentially a 100 minute conversation between two people during a brief but complicated relationship. Nice shots of landmarks in Minneapolis-St. Paul as well. Too bad that almost nobody saw this movie.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 12:22 AM   #160
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post

Geostorm: The screen writers didn't bother putting any effort into this movie so I am not going to bother putting any effort into this review. It sucked but verged into so bad it was good. 3/10
Whenever I see previews for movies like this I always think of Liz Lemon in 30 Rock seeing the ad for Transformers 5: Planet of The Earth

flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post: