Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-03-2018, 09:42 PM   #401
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Yes. And that should make Disney a little nervous. It's not just the movies they are investing in.
Why? Disney owns Marvel as well

Had they spaced out the movies more I have no doubt Solo would have had a much better box office

If you had Christmas every month it wouldn't be that exciting
Old 07-03-2018, 11:03 PM   #402
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just a rumor. Doesn't change anything, however should illuminate somewhere different than the current echo-chamber.
RyZ
Old 07-04-2018, 07:12 AM   #403
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Why? Disney owns Marvel as well

Had they spaced out the movies more I have no doubt Solo would have had a much better box office

If you had Christmas every month it wouldn't be that exciting
Nothing to do with Marvel.

Disney making huge investment in Star Wars at their theme parks, cruise lines, consumer products etc. They want these movies to stay freash and relevant to continue to draw kids into that universe.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:31 AM   #404
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

God what i would give for a Filoni run Lucasfilm!
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to underGRADFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2018, 12:29 PM   #405
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post

This is what kids are into these days? An awkwardly sweaty Adam Driver?

Why is the first order leader and bad guy Kylo Ren wearing Ed Grimley pants?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2018, 01:22 PM   #406
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliche View Post

Just a rumor. Doesn't change anything, however should illuminate somewhere different than the current echo-chamber.
jesus that video is a mess
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:40 AM   #407
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I finally saw this last night and I enjoyed it. Two big problems with it though. One technical, this movie is just way too ####ing dark. Why? Why did you do this?

The second was the twist "big bad" villain at the end. Lame, so so lame. That couldn't have been Prince Xizor or some other tidbit for the super nerds? Why does everything have to be one tiny ass circle of characters doing everything in this universe. The entire movie is already based on a core character.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:02 PM   #408
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Anyone but Xizor, I'd rather have a speaking Porg as the villain the Xizor. God he was lame in the book, and his whole drugging up Leia and offering to run her a bath .. . gross.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:07 PM   #409
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well that's what you get for reading Star Wars books.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2018, 12:10 PM   #410
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

lol

touche

Old 09-11-2018, 12:50 PM   #411
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I finally saw this last night and I enjoyed it. Two big problems with it though. One technical, this movie is just way too ####ing dark. Why? Why did you do this?
The first 15 minutes on Corellia I couldn't make out what was going on. Just talking and indistinct silhouettes. I was genuinely considering going out to an usher and asking him to fix the projector.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:23 AM   #412
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I finally watched Solo on a recent flight and it was pretty much what I expected with some good, some bad, and a ton of fan service. The cinematography and acting was fine and I was really into things up until the half way point but then the story really started to drag. The twists were predictable and I stopped caring about the characters. I even felt Han was one dimensional and it was frustrating he had pretty much zero character development. The movie seemed more like a collection of adventures than an origin story and I think it would have worked much better as a TV series like Young Indiana Jones. 6/10
Old 09-25-2018, 03:41 PM   #413
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I watched it today, I thought it was better then I thought it would be. I give them points for a couple of things.

They went away from the original Canon of Han being an Imperial Tie Pilot and being bounced for killing a senior officer when he saved Chewie.

I like that they resisted the temptation of another movie that had the Empire as the key villain, which would have been easy. Instead they did a 1313 story.

The acting was fairly strong in this, I even liked the portrayal of Han as a good man struggling to not give a crap. Lando was exceptional.

I didn't like how dark this film was lighting wise, the Corellia stuff was almost impossible to watch.

The Lando sexbot death scene was played too much for laughs, and because of that it got weird.

I really liked Beckett.

The end reveal scene was just awkward, it was almost like, we have to remind fans that we're in Star Wars.

Was it a super terrific movie? Not really, and it did have some flaws, but it was a decent enough popcorn action film.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2018, 09:03 AM   #414
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Finally got to see this last night and I really liked it.. with a few problems. Just a FYI the movie is now out on DVD so I think we can assume this thread is a spoiler filled area. So,

*****SPOILERS IN POSTS BELOW THIS POINT******

First off was character development. I was really looking forward to seeing Han become the man we see in ANH, but instead we got a taste of where he started, then skipped over 3 years and saw where he arrived at. The same goes for Qi'ra.

I didn't need three years of Han at the academy trying to achieve Top Holdout Blaster status with his rival Icerodian and a topless volleyball scene on the beach... but perhaps SOMETHING about how he became this incredible pilot. There is no build up to him developing these skills, he is just a great shot, a great pilot and has that Han cockiness out of nowhere. I needed more. Qi'ra is also just this crime boss slave wife who has 'done terrible things!!' that we are never privy to... how about toss us a bone?

I also thought the Kessel Run was a little under hyped and looked to easy. I thought they could have made this a bit more of a big deal, it is the freaking Kessel Run!! In 12 parsecs!!! This is one of the most iconic Star Wars moments to date, the line that everyone remembers. Not sure how to handle it better, but there had to be a way.

But, on top of this, I thought we got a super fun movie. I thought Glover's Lando was just amazing and spot on. The way he portrayed him made it feel to me like it was a young Williams and not an entirely new actor. Even the look was great. So well done there, spot on.

I also thought Harrelsson was awesome, we got some character development of Han through him, finally teaching him at the end how to be a proper scoundrel, and Han definitely shot first this time (I also thought that was a cool nod.)

I wasn't a huge fan of how Han and Chewie met... but I did like the development of their relationship as the movie goes on, especially how they keep saving each other through out the movie. They went through a lot together and you can see that unbreakable bond of loyalty forming between the two. So well done there. It was also neat to see other Wookies in action and very thematic to find them slaving away in the Kessel mines.

I thought Clarke did a great job in her role, she played it well and is a drop dead gorgeous lady. There was one scene at the end where she is looking out the window after talking with Maul and she looks exactly like Audrie Hepburn.

Speaking of Maul... that was kind of random. I thought it was neat, original actor from the prequels, voice actor from TCW/Rebels, but random. It makes sense as he does get wrapped up in the crime syndicates with his bro in Clone Wars, so he could still be involved in that world. It's also a big nod to the cartoon series which I am all about. I know people talk about it being "fan service man, myeh, i'm above that" but those people have neck beards and bigger man boobs than Clarke. I say, bring it on. When we got the Ghost in Rogue One, and the mention of General Syndula and Chopper rolling across the screen I was fist pumpingly happy.

So I liked this Maul cameo, but I do wonder where it will lead. With Solo not getting a great reception.. will they be re working where they planned to fit Maul in for future movies? I know Alden has been signed on for 2 more movies still to portray Han, is that still on the table? Who knows.

Lastly I will comment on this movie tanking at the box office. Since the Star Wars movies have started coming out, and even starting with the Marvel movies, I've made a big deal about going to them. Get a group of buddies together and we hit the theatre together, enjoy the experience and usually go have beers after and play some board games, watch hockey, whatever. I didn't do this for Solo not because I thought it was going to be bad, but just because it was so close to The Last Jedi and even closer to Infinity War. Just didn't have time to fit it in with those movies. Had they staggered it to this Christmas I would right now be purchasing a group of tickets to make an event out of it with my friends, as it is still Star Wars and we love Star Wars. SO I honestly think that TLJ being bad had an affect, I think all of the rumours about production problems and actor problems did as well... but I think timing was also a big problem. Joe Blow with 3 kids isn't going to be taking them to Solo and Infinity War in the same month. So Disney shot themselves in the foot there.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:11 AM   #415
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Lastly I will comment on this movie tanking at the box office. Since the Star Wars movies have started coming out, and even starting with the Marvel movies, I've made a big deal about going to them. Get a group of buddies together and we hit the theatre together, enjoy the experience and usually go have beers after and play some board games, watch hockey, whatever. I didn't do this for Solo not because I thought it was going to be bad, but just because it was so close to The Last Jedi and even closer to Infinity War. Just didn't have time to fit it in with those movies. Had they staggered it to this Christmas I would right now be purchasing a group of tickets to make an event out of it with my friends, as it is still Star Wars and we love Star Wars. SO I honestly think that TLJ being bad had an affect, I think all of the rumours about production problems and actor problems did as well... but I think timing was also a big problem. Joe Blow with 3 kids isn't going to be taking them to Solo and Infinity War in the same month. So Disney shot themselves in the foot there.
This.

Disney, very oddly, dropped the ball on this.

I think someone, somewhere in some Executive's office thought: "Its a Star Wars Han Solo movie! Of course fans will line up to see it!!!! We dont need to space out our timing or market the hell out of it! Its Star Wars! Its Han Solo! It sells itself!!"

And while they're not entirely wrong, sandwiching it between two major tentpole films was stupid.

Infinity War was the first instalment of the culmination of a decade's worth of storyline investment and TLJ is even more of an emotional investment to Star Wars fans.

I have no idea what Disney was thinking releasing a side-film at the same time after recasting an iconic role and then not really selling people on it.

I think Solo's perceived failure at the box office is really just a matter of poor timing and over-saturation.

This was an Executive/Marketing screw up, not a bad movie, so I hope they stick with it and make more but for the love of money learn some timing!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2018, 11:00 AM   #416
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been saying that since day 1.

If this move was in December I would have seen it in theatres Day 1. Instead I'm watching it on-demand as a rental.

It was between TLJ, and The Force Awakens, and you had Deadpool 2 in the same time period. Plus Black Panther had completely blown up and took over February and March. And to top it all off Disney put very little in the way of big mainstream push behind it (IMO).

If I'm Disney I follow the following structure with my Marvel and Star Wars franchises:

May: Marvel Yearly Tentpole
July: Marvel Secondary Movie
December: Star Wars Yearly Tentpole

That should be their core structure. I know they have being doing 3 Marvel movies per calendar year recently but I think they would be better served to 2 per year at the risk of burning out these franchises. (Depending on the year you may be able to add third Marvel movie into that November timeframe for US Thanksgiving that they have used in the past).

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 09-26-2018 at 11:04 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:24 AM   #417
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm still adamant that TLJ forked up Solo's box office much harder than the schedule did. yes it had more competition than Rogue One and isn't as memorable, but I would bet my X-Wing that if TFA was Solo's predecessor instead, it would have turned a decent profit.

Marvel started to stumble a bit at the end of Phase 2 and the messy Ultron thing, but they bounced back very strongly starting with Civil War a year later. but the MCU storytelling format does help a lot, where every movie drives the thing forwards whether it's good or mediocre. this Star Wars thing of bouncing back and forth between the Reyloverse and our fuzzy warm childhood memories (reanimated like zombies with the latest CGI) is really halting any possible momentum.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2018, 11:31 AM   #418
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I've been saying that since day 1.

If this move was in December I would have seen it in theatres Day 1. Instead I'm watching it on-demand as a rental.

It was between TLJ, and The Force Awakens, and you had Deadpool 2 in the same time period. Plus Black Panther had completely blown up and took over February and March. And to top it all off Disney put very little in the way of big mainstream push behind it (IMO).

If I'm Disney I follow the following structure with my Marvel and Star Wars franchises:

May: Marvel Yearly Tentpole
July: Marvel Secondary Movie
December: Star Wars Yearly Tentpole

That should be their core structure. I know they have being doing 3 Marvel movies per calendar year recently but I think they would be better served to 2 per year at the risk of burning out these franchises. (Depending on the year you may be able to add third Marvel movie into that November timeframe for US Thanksgiving that they have used in the past).
Bang on.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:42 AM   #419
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think that the Studios are still thinking 1990's movie night is a cheap night out for families. So they don't even worry about scheduling and are surprised when families and movie goers pick and choose.

But frankly if you want to take your family of lets say two kids and your significant other, you're spending what $80 bucks. I know most families are going to very few movies in the theatre, preferring to wait a few months for it to come out on streaking services.

Marveling scheduling Solo and Infinity Wars for the same general release date was stupid because they forced their demographic to choose between the two.

Plus the general Star Wars community didn't like TLJ that much and beat up on Solo because of that as a silly message to Disney.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:51 AM   #420
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are the Star Wars movies even kid/family films anymore? I know my kids have only gone because I dragged them, and I have friends who say the same thing. My kids and their friends never play Star Wars, draw Star Wars characters, or talk about Star Wars. As far as I can see, Star Wars just isn't a thing for 8-12 year olds these days.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 09-26-2018 at 11:56 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote