Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2018, 02:27 PM   #241
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you need a better mic Josh. Good podcast again though
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 02:33 PM   #242
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
I think you need a better mic Josh. Good podcast again though
I have the Blue Yeti Pro, which is a good mic. I think the set up is the problem. Have to better figure that out somehow.

Thanks.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:43 PM   #243
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Subscribed today!

You sounded fine Bunk but the audio on Jason seemed to come and go. Was he turning his head lots when you guys recorded? I am enjoying the content and look forward to more. A few more episodes and you should settle into it nicely.

I also enjoyed the shout out to the same couple of dozens nerds!

Last edited by surferguy; 09-17-2018 at 03:46 PM.
surferguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 03:45 PM   #244
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
You sounded fine Bunk but the audio on Jason seemed to come and go. Was he turning his head lots when you guys recorded? I am enjoying the content and look forward to more. A few more episodes and you should settle into it nicely.
Yeah, that was a bit of an issue. He is quite expressive when he talks, so he might have just been talking away from the mic a bit.

Thanks for the feedback. It's a learning curve for sure, but so far so good. There's some great people coming up.

Is there anyone I should really try to have on that would be of interest to people?
Old 09-17-2018, 04:35 PM   #245
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I think it would be interesting to dive into different city departments maybe. Maybe the head of roads or something. Sometimes just having a conversation with guys like that sheds a lot of light on how things operate and why decisions are made the way they are. That type of understanding can go a long way. How many times have we grumbled about why the way something was built when we have no idea why.

What about Doug Morgan of Calgary Transit or the CEO of YYC.

Perhaps some ex councillers could shed light on the inner workings and challenges of the city

surferguy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2018, 04:41 PM   #246
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
I think it would be interesting to dive into different city departments maybe. Maybe the head of roads or something. Sometimes just having a conversation with guys like that sheds a lot of light on how things operate and why decisions are made the way they are. That type of understanding can go a long way. How many times have we grumbled about why the way something was built when we have no idea why.

What about Doug Morgan of Calgary Transit or the CEO of YYC.

Perhaps some ex councillers could shed light on the inner workings and challenges of the city
Good suggestions. One person I've been thinking about is City Manager Jeff Fielding. He's the most influential person in the city that most people know nothing about. Doug Morgan would be good - I know him well, so will try to line him up.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:43 PM   #247
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Is Brett Wilson a possibility?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:50 PM   #248
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Is Brett Wilson a possibility?
And if he is, did he ever make the $100k contribution to the library he promised when he was battling for Uber? I have been wondering that for a while!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:02 PM   #249
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Your Favorite Podcast(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post

Is there anyone I should really try to have on that would be of interest to people?

I would love conversations with individuals on their perspective where Calgary is going. People that come to mind for this are Darlene Dickinson, Dave Mowat and Todd Hirsch

Last edited by ah123; 09-18-2018 at 12:26 AM.
ah123 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ah123 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2018, 10:00 PM   #250
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love the Podcast,

I think finding some Private sector developers would be interesting to discuss their vision for Calgary. Both Inner city and suburban and how zoning and developement regulation impact that vision. And hot button issues like water /sewer levies

Someone from Calgary Chamber discussing business taxation and options to avoid swings or provide fairer models or if the balance of business taxation vs residential is reasonable

Someone from traffic optimization in the city to discuss signal timing and what currently exists and their ultimate vision optimization if they had unlimited resources.

Any Councilours / Political Scientists who want to come on to talk about Nimbyism and how it works against the city from anti density to anti transit.

Someone from traffic to talk about interchange design and why certain designs are used in certain places and how bad a clover leaf is.

I think it would be neat to interview Bingo and maybe the guys from beyond to discuss Calgary’s online presence, how it is and isn’t representative of the city and how it has changed

I think your podcast should follow Markasoff’s vision of the urban affairs correspondent effectively answering the questions in the city of why is something the way it is and where is the city going and what are the impact of the decisions.

The first two were great and if you can continue to land high quality guests who have an interest in Calgary then who they are isn’t that important as long as they present reasonable and knowledgeable opinions.

Also a Yop Gobbler vs Latte Sipper cage match.

Last edited by GGG; 09-17-2018 at 10:05 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2018, 01:58 PM   #251
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

I started listening to the true crime podcast Sword and Scale the other day and now I'm binging the whole thing all day at work. This stuff is bananas.

If anyone has any other recommendations for good true crime podcasts, I'd love to hear them.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2018, 08:56 AM   #252
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

My conversation with Elsbeth Mehrer of the YWCA is up. I think this is a fantastic conversation - we dove headlong into the treacherous waters of #Metoo, what YWCA does, women in leadership and so forth. I hope you all take a listen. Elsbeth is fantastic and the topics were timely.

https://livewirecalgary.com/2018/10/...-ywca-calgary/

Don't forget to subscribe to the podcast.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:15 PM   #253
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Conan O'Brien is starting a podcast.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1047932244914892800
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2018, 03:36 PM   #254
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
I started listening to the true crime podcast Sword and Scale the other day and now I'm binging the whole thing all day at work. This stuff is bananas.

If anyone has any other recommendations for good true crime podcasts, I'd love to hear them.

Canadian: Dark Poutine
Asian: Asian Madness

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:39 PM   #255
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

My favourite show lately is Action Boyz. It's three ####heads talking about action movies.

https://www.patreon.com/ActionBoyz/posts

It's behind a paywall but it's well worth $5 a month for me. You can hear a free episode on one of the host's other podcast. High And Mighty.

https://headgum.com/high-and-mighty/...atreon-podcast

Another host has a great podcast too, Dumbbells, about fitness. It's worth checking out as well.

https://headgum.com/the-dumbbells
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:03 PM   #256
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hey guys just wanted to mention that some friends and I released our tragically hip podcast.
It's called 'The Cast of the Unplucked Gems' and the show breaks down hip songs album by album, beginning with the self titled EP.
The first 3 Episodes are up with the latest being Road Apples. Give us a listen on ITunes, Stitcher, or at www.hipcast.meterroom.ca

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to handgroen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2018, 02:47 PM   #257
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Conan's first podcast is up - guest is Will Ferrell.

Quote:
Comedian and actor Will Ferrell feels awkward about being Conan O’Brien’s friend.

Will joins Conan along with trusty assistant Sona Movsesian and producer Matt Gourley to reflect on his unmatched commitment to comedy, sharing humble roots with Conan at The Groundlings, feeling good about bad reviews, and remembering the comedy bit Will performed on Late Night that got them both in trouble with Lorne Michaels.

Plus, Conan answers questions from fans about hair, Star Wars, and staff favorites.
https://www.earwolf.com/episode/will-ferrell-2/

Last edited by troutman; 11-20-2018 at 02:50 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2018, 10:15 PM   #258
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

My favorite podcast right now is "How Did This Get Made" with Jason Mantzoukas and Paul Scheer (from The League), and June Raphael.

Basically they watch terrible movies and then analyze and mock them. If you're a hardcore movie nerd, I highly recommend it. The ones they do in front of a live audience tend to be the funniest.

My favorite so far is the episode on the 1983 horror flick Sleepaway Camp. It's hilarious.

Last edited by direwolf; 11-20-2018 at 10:21 PM.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2018, 02:13 AM   #259
ASP#26525
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
My favorite podcast right now is "How Did This Get Made" with Jason Mantzoukas and Paul Scheer (from The League), and June Raphael.

Basically they watch terrible movies and then analyze and mock them. If you're a hardcore movie nerd, I highly recommend it. The ones they do in front of a live audience tend to be the funniest.

My favorite so far is the episode on the 1983 horror flick Sleepaway Camp. It's hilarious.

Gonna check this out, I could use another comedy podcast to listen to, thanks! The Dollop (American history/comedy) is still my favourite, but My Favorite Murder (true crime/comedy) is a very close second. Judge John Hodgman is pretty good, and so are Doug Loves Movies (guest dependent imo) and Dumb People Town (also guest dependent imo).

Podcasts have been the best thing to happen for my living-alone sanity, I just love them.
ASP#26525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:34 AM   #260
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's a similar format to Mystery Science Theatre 3000, and my issue with that was always... well, the majority of this experience is having to sit through a terrible movie. How do you listen to the podcast? Do you have the movie going at the same time? Do you watch it beforehand? I can't imagine it'd be funny if you don't know what they're talking about.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote