Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2024, 02:31 PM   #3761
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I went to U of A. But drinking a small town dry was a yearly event for my crew.

P.S.WARREN - ROCKS ROCK!
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 02:32 PM   #3762
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyways, I am all for stealing the enterprise, but only if I get to say "Nuclear Wessles" while we're stealing it.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 03:59 PM   #3763
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Anyways, I am all for stealing the enterprise, but only if I get to say "Nuclear Wessles" while we're stealing it.
"In other news, Walter Koenig was arrested for the theft of a small town Enterprise statue, a crime that he insists he did not commit, however local Authorities assert that they clearly heard him yelling 'Nuclear Wessels' whilst riding the statue down the highway."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2024, 11:27 PM   #3764
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

"She did it. She damned well did it."
"She always does."
Old 04-19-2024, 11:51 AM   #3765
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whenever I'm having a bad day....Q on the bridge of the Enterprise with a Mariachi band and Picard's defeated expression?

That'll do it. That cheers me right up.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 12:31 PM   #3766
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

I'm the same but it's Q naked on the bridge, laying on the floor looking up at the bridge staff and saying "red alert," in the smarmiest way possible.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2024, 01:18 PM   #3767
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
I'm the same but it's Q naked on the bridge, laying on the floor looking up at the bridge staff and saying "red alert," in the smarmiest way possible.

One of my favourite episodes ever.

"What do I have to to to prove myself?"
"Die."
"Oh, very clever Worf, eat any good books lately?"
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2024, 10:15 AM   #3768
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Rewatching it now. So many good lines:

• Q: I've been entirely preoccupied by a most frightening experience of my own. A couple of hours ago, I realized that my body was no longer functioning properly. I felt weak, I could no longer stand. The life was oozing out of me, I lost consciousness.
  • Capt. Picard: You fell asleep.
  • [Q has made appear two scantily clad women to fawn on Riker]
  • Commander William T. Riker: I don't need your fantasy women.
  • Q: Oh, you're so stolid! You weren't like that before the beard.
  • Lieutenant Worf: Be quiet! Or disappear back where you came from.
  • Q: I can't disappear - any more than you could win a beauty contest.
  • Lieutenant Worf: You have fooled us too often, Q.
  • Q: Oh, perspicacity incarnate. Please don't feel compelled now to tell me the story of "The Boy Who Cried 'Worf'".
  • Q: You can't do this to me, Jean-Luc.
  • Lieutenant Worf: [grabs Q's arm and starts to pull] You will walk or I will carry you.
  • Q: Given the option, I - I'll walk. You disappointment me, Jean-Luc. I'm disappointed.
  • [Worf and Q enter turbolift]
  • Q: Hey, I'm claustrophobic. I don't like it in here.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0708699...ref_=tt_trv_qu
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2024, 10:39 AM   #3769
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
Rewatching it now. So many good lines:

• Q: I've been entirely preoccupied by a most frightening experience of my own. A couple of hours ago, I realized that my body was no longer functioning properly. I felt weak, I could no longer stand. The life was oozing out of me, I lost consciousness.
  • Capt. Picard: You fell asleep.
  • [Q has made appear two scantily clad women to fawn on Riker]
  • Commander William T. Riker: I don't need your fantasy women.
  • Q: Oh, you're so stolid! You weren't like that before the beard.
  • Lieutenant Worf: Be quiet! Or disappear back where you came from.
  • Q: I can't disappear - any more than you could win a beauty contest.
  • Lieutenant Worf: You have fooled us too often, Q.
  • Q: Oh, perspicacity incarnate. Please don't feel compelled now to tell me the story of "The Boy Who Cried 'Worf'".
  • Q: You can't do this to me, Jean-Luc.
  • Lieutenant Worf: [grabs Q's arm and starts to pull] You will walk or I will carry you.
  • Q: Given the option, I - I'll walk. You disappointment me, Jean-Luc. I'm disappointed.
  • [Worf and Q enter turbolift]
  • Q: Hey, I'm claustrophobic. I don't like it in here.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0708699...ref_=tt_trv_qu
So many great lines. Especially when he meets Guinan. That was a good scene.

Q was such a ridiculous character, but as a character TNG used him masterfully. I was always up for a Q episode and John de Lancie....*chef's kiss* that guy played that part absolutely perfectly! Q was easily one of my favourites.

Its like the perfect part for a Theater Student hamming it up and chewing the scenery.

And the character himself gave the writers options to write filler episodes.

"What have we got on tap for next week? Nothing?!?! Someone call John de Lancie and get him in here!! Tell him we're gonna need him to do some stupid s###!"

Which upset me even more about Picard Season 2. Oh...the entire Picard series could have been about Q and the Borg and they could have made something really interesting out of it while still serving the fans.

I dont think I've ever seen a show skid off the rails like Picard Season 2. It had an interesting idea...Q is back...Picard is the head of an Evil Terran Empire...all of our favourite Trek heroes are murdered, there is so much material there!

It was like "Uh huh....okay....interesting Characters...okay...intriguing premise...alright...Q is back...thats good...and...What the absolute F### is this s###?"

Old 04-20-2024, 10:49 AM   #3770
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

There was a PC game called Star Trek: Borg where you essentially played from the POV of a starfleet officer. It was a movie and you had to make choices. If you picked wrong one you just reset that checkpoint so not much of a game, but it had Q, and he was hilarious in it.
Old 04-21-2024, 02:04 PM   #3771
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just finished re-watching Season 3, and this was where they really showed what they could do. "The Survivors," "Defector," "Deja Q," "Yesterday's Enterprise," "Sins of the Father," "Hollow Pursuits," "Sarek," and then of course, "The Best of Both Worlds Part 1," The first ST season finale cliffhanger and one of the most incredible cliffhangers of all time.

Nowadays I really think cliffhangers should be abolished - too much uncertainty about whether a show will be renewed, and too much online info to really shock a lot of people nowadays. TV isn't like it used to be where you had a handful of channels and had little else to talk about entertainment wise. But back then, being fairly rare, and since there were questions over whether Patrick Steward would return, it was huge.

A few dud episodes, and a lot of episodes that were okay but nothing special; someone mentioned "The Bonding" which is cool for the Worf stuff, but I could never get over how this poor kid has no parents left and they keep leaving him alone in his quarters.

Great guest stars through the season, such as John de Lancie, Elizabeth Dennehy, George Murdock, John Anderson, Harry Groener, Saul Rubinek, Ethan Phillips, Mark Lenard, and the amazing Tony Todd. This season got into the Crusher/Picard dynamic and introduced Barclay, Kurn, Vash, and really started the whole Worf/Klingon thing that continued through the rest of TNG and then DS9.

Unfortunately, it also started Geordi's creepy behaviour, and a terrible Lwazana episode only salvaged by Picard reciting Shakespeare to "win her back."
Old 04-21-2024, 02:28 PM   #3772
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
Just finished re-watching Season 3, and this was where they really showed what they could do. "The Survivors," "Defector," "Deja Q," "Yesterday's Enterprise," "Sins of the Father," "Hollow Pursuits," "Sarek," and then of course, "The Best of Both Worlds Part 1," The first ST season finale cliffhanger and one of the most incredible cliffhangers of all time.

Nowadays I really think cliffhangers should be abolished - too much uncertainty about whether a show will be renewed, and too much online info to really shock a lot of people nowadays. TV isn't like it used to be where you had a handful of channels and had little else to talk about entertainment wise. But back then, being fairly rare, and since there were questions over whether Patrick Steward would return, it was huge.

A few dud episodes, and a lot of episodes that were okay but nothing special; someone mentioned "The Bonding" which is cool for the Worf stuff, but I could never get over how this poor kid has no parents left and they keep leaving him alone in his quarters.

Great guest stars through the season, such as John de Lancie, Elizabeth Dennehy, George Murdock, John Anderson, Harry Groener, Saul Rubinek, Ethan Phillips, Mark Lenard, and the amazing Tony Todd. This season got into the Crusher/Picard dynamic and introduced Barclay, Kurn, Vash, and really started the whole Worf/Klingon thing that continued through the rest of TNG and then DS9.

Unfortunately, it also started Geordi's creepy behaviour, and a terrible Lwazana episode only salvaged by Picard reciting Shakespeare to "win her back."
Season 3 is essentially a Time-Capsule masterpiece.

Its when TNG really started finding it's legs and becoming what we all have come to know and love.

Geordi's behaviour was troublesome but it was the end of the 80s when apparently 'No' still meant 'maybe.'

Or, as the Ferengi would put it, "'No' only means that the right opportunity has not yet presented itself."

Anyhow...I think that says more about the writers than LeVar Burton, he just did what was written for him and I think we really need to just analyze that as late 80s antiquated views, accept that, understand it, and move along.

I just re-watched 'Allegiance' and really enjoyed it.

Although the eventual Leah Brahms episode...I can only imagine Burton at the table-read saying..."are you guys serious with this? This seems more like a Barclay episode..."

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 11:03 AM   #3773
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

LeVar was apparently not a fan of how much of a spotlight Geordi's love life got. Now I doubt it was how pushy/creepy/weird he was at the time and more so how bad he was at it. In recent years LeVar has said it was bad for the myriad of other reasons we now identify as real bad.

Also, Menage Troi is amazing. You're the worst type of person if you hate it.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 04-22-2024, 11:40 AM   #3774
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
LeVar was apparently not a fan of how much of a spotlight Geordi's love life got. Now I doubt it was how pushy/creepy/weird he was at the time and more so how bad he was at it. In recent years LeVar has said it was bad for the myriad of other reasons we now identify as real bad.

I'm not there yet in my re-watch, but LeVar has a point. I know there were elements of Rodenberry about, because he went through a period of being really, really against women due to a contentious divorce.

But why Geordi? Geordi is like the most buttoned-down, tame and nice guy on the show but he's damned near 'Barclay-Bad' when it comes to women, its crazy.

Between Brahms and the Space-Station Lady though...the future has not resolved the concept of 'Consent.'

Old 04-22-2024, 11:43 AM   #3775
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

It was real weird. He was probably the second biggest name on the cast at the time in season three, only behind Whoopi Goldberg. The actor his handsome, has made the character well liked... so he can't get a date and is just a whiny bitch about it?

They had him acting like the protagonist in a ####ty 80s teen movie

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 04-22-2024, 11:56 AM   #3776
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

IRL Picard would've banged Lxawana Troi ten ways to Wednesday.
Old 04-22-2024, 12:36 PM   #3777
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It was real weird. He was probably the second biggest name on the cast at the time in season three, only behind Whoopi Goldberg. The actor his handsome, has made the character well liked... so he can't get a date and is just a whiny bitch about it?

They had him acting like the protagonist in a ####ty 80s teen movie
If Geordi had gotten together with Whoopi, now there would have been an episode!

But yeah, the characterization of Geordi was just weird.

And as for celebrity...LeVar was up there, granted when the show started I was incredibly young, but nobody in North America had even heard of Patrick Stewart, I think Frakes was supposed to be Captain America? But he couldnt do it because of scheduling conflicts?

That was probably a bullet dodged for him, because as I understand that movie sucked out loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
IRL Picard would've banged Lxawana Troi ten ways to Wednesday.
And come on! She's been angling for that for most of the series!

Old 04-22-2024, 04:01 PM   #3778
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Whenever I'm having a bad day....Q on the bridge of the Enterprise with a Mariachi band and Picard's defeated expression?

That'll do it. That cheers me right up.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2024, 05:28 PM   #3779
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

"I need to show our guest the new door mechanisms on the aft turbolift..."

Old 04-23-2024, 12:24 AM   #3780
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

S3E25 is another Geordi Lothario episode...they really leaned hard into this storyline.

At least there is some good old 'O'Brien Must Suffer.'

"Kayaking again?"