Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2018, 02:09 PM   #101
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Say I'm in the produce section, I'll look at the stack of apples (there's a lot). I think about how many that store must sell in a week, or a month or a year. And then there's how many dozen grocery stores in the city, province, country, continent. That's a lot of apples. How much land does it take to grow that? And then all the other produce/food out there.

I feel like Ilya Bryzgalov when he's talking about how the universe is like, really big.
calf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2018, 02:09 PM   #102
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
Say I'm in the produce section, I'll look at the stack of apples (there's a lot). I think about how many that store must sell in a week, or a month or a year. And then there's how many dozen grocery stores in the city, province, country, continent. That's a lot of apples. How much land does it take to grow that? And then all the other produce/food out there.

I feel like Ilya Bryzgalov when he's talking about how the universe is like, really big.
I do the same thing with eggs
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2018, 02:15 PM   #103
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofR View Post
I do the same thing with eggs
That doesn't take much land, they keep the chickens pretty close together.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:21 PM   #104
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post

Yeah. Apples, eggs, tomatoes, grapes are mostly vertical and don’t speed out much from a pretty small footprint of land. Better examples would be vegetables that require a small patch of land each.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:24 PM   #105
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Ya it’s not so much the land that I think about it’s just it’s imagining the sheer amount of chickens it takes to lay that many eggs for just one grocery store.
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 05:52 PM   #106
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CofR View Post
Ya it’s not so much the land that I think about it’s just it’s imagining the sheer amount of chickens it takes to lay that many eggs for just one grocery store.
Then, add in all the chickens that are sold whole and in pieces to be eaten as well.

There are a hell of a lot of chickens on this planet.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:33 PM   #107
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

It actually disgusts me how many chickens have to be born and slaughtered just to feed our chicken wing habit.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:00 PM   #108
Mister Yamoto
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
It actually disgusts me how many chickens have to be born and slaughtered just to feed our chicken wing habit.
It's not so bad. Chickens have four wings.
Mister Yamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:25 PM   #109
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post

For me its always the bananas. They get shipped here from central or south america. They seem awkward to ship, weildy, bulky, they bruise easily.. And to buy a bunch will cost me less than 3 dollars. How are bananas profitable?
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puffnstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2018, 08:40 PM   #110
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
For me its always the bananas. They get shipped here from central or south america. They seem awkward to ship, weildy, bulky, they bruise easily.. And to buy a bunch will cost me less than 3 dollars. How are bananas profitable?
There's a reason why the term Banana Republic exists.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:09 PM   #111
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post

And they can’t even fly. What a curse to be poultry.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:40 PM   #112
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Played a lot of Skyrim this winter (was sick a lot, and I'm a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to video games), so now I notice a lot more butterflies and flowers when I'm hiking in the mountains.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 11:19 PM   #113
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

When we die do we

A) lights out 1 and done.
B) go to some sort of heaven
C) reincarnated into another Person
D) reincarnated into a different animal
E) turn into a ghost
F) Start your same life over. You die and you are born again and live the same life over again.
G) some kind of a matrix where your not really real.
H) something else
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 01:51 AM   #114
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

The number of people in the world gets me, as well as the number of other animals.

Like recently I saw something about the population of European bison rebounding well from near extinction to over 4,000 animals. And I thought "oh that's good." And then I thought, "if only 4000 people turned up to an NHL game, that would be horrible."

We, as a species, regularly and happily gather in numbers that utterly dwarf the total number of individuals in this whole species. A 4000 person concert is 'pretty intimate.' 4000 bison is enough to not be endangered anymore!

And then I started thinking about other animals. So the saddledome holds 19,000 people, and it doesn't feel that weird to see all 19,000 together at once. But if you saw 19,000 cats all in the same place, at the same time? You'd freak right out. You'd think some crazy biblical ghostbusters #### was going down.

Hell, if you saw 20 cats in one place, you'd think - damn, that's a lot of cats! But if you saw only 20 people at the Ship and Anchor you'd think it was almost eerily quiet. Put 20 cats in there, though and suddenly its "full" of cats. Or like, flamingos. Put 20 flamingos in the Ship and Anchor pub and everyone is going to freak out about how many flamingos are there. But we're perfectly happy to cram in there with 250 other humans.

People are weird.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2018, 04:33 AM   #115
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
The number of people in the world gets me, as well as the number of other animals.

Like recently I saw something about the population of European bison rebounding well from near extinction to over 4,000 animals. And I thought "oh that's good." And then I thought, "if only 4000 people turned up to an NHL game, that would be horrible."

We, as a species, regularly and happily gather in numbers that utterly dwarf the total number of individuals in this whole species. A 4000 person concert is 'pretty intimate.' 4000 bison is enough to not be endangered anymore!

And then I started thinking about other animals. So the saddledome holds 19,000 people, and it doesn't feel that weird to see all 19,000 together at once. But if you saw 19,000 cats all in the same place, at the same time? You'd freak right out. You'd think some crazy biblical ghostbusters #### was going down.

Hell, if you saw 20 cats in one place, you'd think - damn, that's a lot of cats! But if you saw only 20 people at the Ship and Anchor you'd think it was almost eerily quiet. Put 20 cats in there, though and suddenly its "full" of cats. Or like, flamingos. Put 20 flamingos in the Ship and Anchor pub and everyone is going to freak out about how many flamingos are there. But we're perfectly happy to cram in there with 250 other humans.

People are weird.
Herd animals vs solitary animals?
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:42 AM   #116
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

[QUOTE=driveway;6692639]And then I started thinking about other animals. So the saddledome holds 19,000 people, and it doesn't feel that weird to see all 19,000 together at once. But if you saw 19,000 cats all in the same place, at the same time? You'd freak right out. You'd think some crazy biblical ghostbusters #### was going down.
[QUOTE]

I wonder how many animals are in the dome at the same time. 19,000 people. think how many cows, chickens and pigs those people eat during one event. wonder if they have stats for that.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 12:09 PM   #117
ASP#26525
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
When we die do we

A) lights out 1 and done.
B) go to some sort of heaven
C) reincarnated into another Person
D) reincarnated into a different animal
E) turn into a ghost
F) Start your same life over. You die and you are born again and live the same life over again.
G) some kind of a matrix where your not really real.
H) something else
IMO:

Most likely A), but since there's no real way to know, it's a waste of time to think about.

I dream of my own death quite frequently, actually, and wonder a lot about suicide. I don't think about it in the sense of actually doing it, just in the sense of what a person must be going through in order to reach that kind of decision. It fascinates me. I also like the appeal of taking myself out since I had zero choice in coming to this particular party.
ASP#26525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 03:55 PM   #118
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

My son was so cute last night. I was putting him to bed, usual routine. He finished his bottle and I took it from him and kissed him on the cheek and told him I loved him. He rolled over with his blankey and said in his adorable 2 year old voice "lub you" and fell asleep almost right away. I thought to myself "i would murder people for you and feel no remorse". no idea why murder had to come up. actually thats not true my wife describes her love for our chlidren as "murdery"
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 03:59 PM   #119
JohnnyO
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
There is always money in the banana stand....
JohnnyO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyO For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2018, 04:47 PM   #120
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Yamoto View Post
It's not so bad. Chickens have four wings.

Say What ???