Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-25-2018, 09:43 PM   #301
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME ENVY View Post
Running without proper hydration is tough on your body. Drinking too much water before or during a run can also be detrimental.

I'm accustomed to running with a water belt as I always have. It would be odd for me to run without one. I ran numerous sub 37 minute 10K's in my younger days with my belt on, it does not hinder performance.
I disagree - I hate running with it (but do on hot days if I'm going more than 20k). I also can't overdo the water intake because it gives me a side stitch (which I'm still working at a solution for - may have found one).

You can also stash a water bottle somewhere on your route before hand.

But definitely the long runs are big. No reason you need water for 5-15k though. Especially in -30?

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:30 PM   #302
RatherDashing
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I take in water when it’s hot like this and last week, but I still haven’t quite got the maneuver down to give myself a quick drink without water boarding myself.
Take small sips, and hold the water in your mouth, don't try to swallow it all at once. You'll kind of naturally swallow it in between breaths. If you try to drink a bunch of water at once you'll interrupt your breathing
RatherDashing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RatherDashing For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2018, 01:53 PM   #303
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hot day for the Calgary Marathon.

I was out supporting at a station. Seemed to be a lot less people than last year.

1st place marathon with a 2:16. He was all alone with the lead vehicles.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:36 PM   #304
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
Hot day for the Calgary Marathon.

I was out supporting at a station. Seemed to be a lot less people than last year.

1st place marathon with a 2:16. He was all alone with the lead vehicles.
Yeah I think I heard registration was about half of what it was last year. 4600 people total or something.

The guy that led it was insane. I was at the 14km mark and he went by at 44 minutes. Was not expecting to see a runner that early

Last edited by btimbit; 05-27-2018 at 03:57 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:42 AM   #305
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
Someone should open up a physiotherapy sponsored part of the forum. They'd apparently have a lot of clients!

What calf injury did you have that's caused 2 years of pain and still holds you back?
I think it's related to having bad Achilles but I'm not 100% positive. Good thing I didn't sign up for the half because it turns out when I try to run a littler faster my calves don't cooperate. Just passed the halfway of the 10K my left calve pulled so I had to limp my way to a 52:30 .

I don't think I've ever run a 10 over 50 minutes......this sucks. Back to physio for me.

Last edited by username; 05-28-2018 at 08:53 AM.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:51 AM   #306
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
I think it's related to having bad Achilles but I'm not 100% positive. Good thing I didn't sign up for the half because it turns out when I try to run a littler faster my calves don't cooperate. Just past the halfway of the 10K my left calve pulled so I had to limp my way to a 52:30 .

I don't think I've ever run a 10 over 50 minutes......this sucks. Back to physio for me.
ha..ha... even not injured you still beat my time by 10 minutes.

I attempted the 10K without any training and now my body is really, really feeling it today. Almost couldn't get out of bed as my shoulders, back and legs are extremely sore.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:57 AM   #307
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
I'm running the 10k! I'm working my pacing while I continue to improve my fitness levels. If I can finish around 1:02:00, I'd be thrilled.

I'm going to be running with compression socks, since my calves took a lot of punishment during my Spartan beast race three weeks ago. I bought the 2XU socks at Sportchek Crossirons for $55 and by the second pair for 50% off.
You weren't running with Pink compression socks were you?
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:10 AM   #308
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looked like kind of a slow marathon judging by the results over all. Not many sub-3hr efforts.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:16 AM   #309
Slacker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooohooo View Post
You weren't running with Pink compression socks were you?
I wish! I was wearing black compression socks.

I had a rough start on my 10k, my calves were trying to cramp for the first half. I finished at 1:03:13.

I'm registering for the Banff 10k for June 16th so I can aim for a sub hour time.

Any suggestions on how to work pacing?
Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:23 AM   #310
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker View Post
I wish! I was wearing black compression socks.

I had a rough start on my 10k, my calves were trying to cramp for the first half. I finished at 1:03:13.

I'm registering for the Banff 10k for June 16th so I can aim for a sub hour time.

Any suggestions on how to work pacing?
intervals did the trick for me. try 1 km faster than comfortable, alternating with 1 km slower than normal. or do it by time instead, e.g. 2-3 minutes on, 2-3 minutes off. i'm sure there's some sciencey reason behind it, but for me I'm convinced part of it was just getting accustomed to torture.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2018, 11:08 AM   #311
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm far from a trainer or anything of the sorts, but how is your warm up Slacker? I know people have different things that work for them, but if you're running half the race cramped up, it's going to hurt your times. I'd suggest looking at doing a 10-15 minute jog roughly an hour to a half hour before the race. Start slow, and build up to your race pace for the last couple minutes. From there go into dynamic stretches and maybe even more jogging. I know it seems counter-intuitive but if you're properly prepared with proper nutrition, you should be able to handle it and then you go into the race prepared and aren't struggling for the first half.

From before but relevant:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
It's warm up. Need to get your heart race up and your muscles loose.

Assuming you're well rested with proper nutrition, there's not really a concern for your glycogen levels running in a 5 KM, so running/joggng a good 15-20 minutes a half hour before your actual race is beneficial. And not even a light jog or brisk walk, you should be breaking a sweat. Along with stretching to get loose, and running in spot before the race to keep that heart rate up right when you start. It's a bit counter intuitive but you're exactly right in that if it takes you a 1/3 of the race to warm up, your time is going to be hurting significantly. I know for my best 5 KM, I warmed up longer than I did running the actual race, and not even all that much slower.

That's what works for me, but realize that other people have different warm up methods and you'll need to find what works for you. But I would strongly agree that it's your warm up that's holding you back if you're actually aiming for a 5KM PBR.
https://therunningbug.com/fitness/be...efore-your-run

Even if you're not racing, the same principle applies if you're trying to get your best 5 KM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooohooo View Post
I attempted the 10K without any training and now my body is really, really feeling it today. Almost couldn't get out of bed as my shoulders, back and legs are extremely sore.
Wait, are you me? I blame the long winter but man that was the worst I felt after a run.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:17 AM   #312
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherDashing View Post
Take small sips, and hold the water in your mouth, don't try to swallow it all at once. You'll kind of naturally swallow it in between breaths. If you try to drink a bunch of water at once you'll interrupt your breathing

I think my water bottle is a bit too big, actually. It's fine when the bottle is full, but after a while, it gets awkward with the half-water/half-air squirt into the mouth. Or I could just stop running when I take a drink, but it almost feels like defeat.

Anyway, today looks like another hot one. Should be fun.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:42 AM   #313
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Most cramping is due to weakness (or a lack of endurance in the muscle).

Most runners have good nutrition. Warm up certainly helps. But the usual fix for cramping is strengthening, a bit of stretching, and some foam rolling a few days per week.

Runners should be able to do 3 sets of 30 heel raises, single leg, off a step (hold for balance).

Old 05-28-2018, 03:00 PM   #314
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Juggling a water bottle between both hands these last few days while running has been insanely exhausting on the arms. Next time I am just going to chug a liter before I start and forego carrying a bottle with me.

Shin splints are starting to pop up. Probably time to look at new shoes.

Also, what’s a good shade of nail polish for those damaged toenails?
I have taken to planning my routes around water fountains so that I don't have to carry anything. On long runs I will occasionally bring a bottle, or leave a bottle in the grass if I am doing sprints.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:32 PM   #315
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
I have taken to planning my routes around water fountains so that I don't have to carry anything. On long runs I will occasionally bring a bottle, or leave a bottle in the grass if I am doing sprints.

The only things I bring with me regularly are my wallet and phone, and some toilet paper because, well, it happens.

There is absolutely nothing along my usual routes for water fountains or amenities. The Nose Creek pathway is kind of devoid of anything unless you want to drink some pretty scuzzy looking/smelling water.

I didn’t bother bringing anything today though and was fine. Mouth felt a bit pasty, but oh well.

Tough battling through the headwinds from the north and running uphill. It feels like running through water.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:42 PM   #316
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

You actually bring tp? Like how much? Where do you go? So many questions that I am not sure I want answers to.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:51 PM   #317
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've pooped numerous times in fish Creek park. Just hop into the bushes and go then cover with dirt.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:09 PM   #318
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
You actually bring tp? Like how much? Where do you go? So many questions that I am not sure I want answers to.
Okay, well... there have been some really close calls, and I have learned that TP in a bathroom is not a guarantee. I kind of sympathize with Tm Horton's poop lady because that's a real gamble trying a to use a businesses bathroom - if you really have to go and that bathroom is locked or occupied, that's game over man. It's either poop in your shorts or poop on the floor at that point cause you've committed precious time to this. I wouldn't take that chance. I did once and it worked out, but when you have to really go, if that option doesn't work out, there's no time to execute plan B.

Anyhoo.. it's just a couple of pieces of paper towel, that serve a few functions so it's not like I am a crazy person who worries about the trots all the time.

Function #1 - I wrap it around my phone and stuff it in a ziplock bag (I keep a couple of zip lock bags in case of rain) so that when I am running my phone doesn't get scratched as it rubs against stuff like keys and whatnot.
Function #2 - Wipe runny nose.
Function #3 - Emergency TP.

My usual route varies between either wide-open space or residential...I am not sure there is a place to actually "go" that would be discreet like a large bush or a grouping of trees. On any particular day, I will be the Nose Creek Pathway or 14th St pathway up towards the Country Hills Golf Club. There's one port-a-potty to be found along each of those routes.

The necessity isn't that common for me.. maybe once or twice a year where I ate at a different time or had a different amount or type of food than usual and everything just goes haywire from there.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:17 PM   #319
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Here I am running 10kms and feeling pretty good about myself and others are running for so long they have to consider TP bathroom breaks. I feel like you guys are on a whole other level sometimes.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:35 PM   #320
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Here I am running 10kms and feeling pretty good about myself and others are running for so long they have to consider TP bathroom breaks. I feel like you guys are on a whole other level sometimes.
I did the grizzly ultra as a team last year and my buddy running leg 1 (5.6 km) had to stop and take a quick one. Terrible planning..
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post: