Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-18-2018, 04:43 PM   #1921
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDJZak View Post
Back in my day (which was a Tuesday) we called that "a page" from a Pager.

Ah, the joy of pagers. I never had one myself, but they were pretty common amongst the cool kids.

Anyway, at least telemarketers back then weren’t going to to leave 2 minutes worth of spam in a page.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2018, 03:44 PM   #1922
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

So my phone has started having issues (iPhone 5). Things that came with the phone like text, photos, and reminders aren't working. When I try to open them, I just get a blank white screen. Alarm, clock, calendar though seem fine. Apps that I've added, like FB, seem to be fine. And if I try to access a photo via FB, it is there, it just won't open on its own (and won't let me add new ones). Also, yesterday and today the battery is draining really fast, for no apparent reason. Does anyone know what this might be about? I thought maybe the battery needed replacing, but with the other issues, I wonder if it's time for a whole new phone. The on/off button at the top has slowly stopped working over the last several months, but as long as that was the only issue, I didn't want to spend the money to buy a new phone. If the whole phone is dying, then I will need to get a new one, but if there is a relatively simple (inexpensive) fix I will just do that.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 04:14 PM   #1923
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did you get logged out of your iCloud account?
Old 04-07-2018, 04:14 PM   #1924
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I'd probably start with doing a backup, reset, and restore, and if that doesn't work then possibly just do a reset and see if things work. That should tell you if it's hardware or not.. if you do a reset and it still has basic problems then it's possible it's hardware.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2018, 11:18 PM   #1925
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Did you get logged out of your iCloud account?
No, some things still work. Or maybe that is part of the problem. Tried logging in again and it seems to have resolved many of the issues.

Last edited by Amethyst; 04-08-2018 at 12:26 AM.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:33 AM   #1926
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quick question I have hoping someone here can answer. If I go buy an IPhone X today, do I need to sort of give them my old phone to have the new one set up? Or can I take it home and do it myself?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:48 AM   #1927
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Quick question I have hoping someone here can answer. If I go buy an IPhone X today, do I need to sort of give them my old phone to have the new one set up? Or can I take it home and do it myself?

You can do it yourself, it is actually pretty easy:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201269
ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 11:17 AM   #1928
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah123 View Post
You can do it yourself, it is actually pretty easy:

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201269
Ok cool. I was more so curious I guess if I have to activate the phone for my network/carrier. I guess that shouldn't be an issue as I plan to buy from the apple store.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:58 AM   #1929
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

The instructions in that link are pretty solid as long as you follow them step by step. They talk about moving the SIM to the new phone, and it will prompt you to insert it to activate it.
A few things to watch out for:
- You can run into issues is the iOS version on your current phone is newer than the new one. I get around this by setting up the new phone as a "new" phone, updating it, then resetting.
- If you encrypt your backup, your passwords will copy over. Saves asking all you friends for wifi passwords again. However I do see a larger failure rate with encrypted backups.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2018, 02:09 PM   #1930
photon

Exp:

The quick start thing worked great for me, it was pretty slick.
Old 08-13-2018, 02:26 PM   #1931
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Outside of the wireless charging, is there any huge reason to go with the iPhone 8 over the 7? The storage options are a joke on the 8 and I'd like to keep it under $1k

Decided it'd be a good idea to fly over my handlebars and land on my phone over the weekend.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:34 PM   #1932
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I have an 8 and my son has a 7. Not much difference; mine is slightly faster- but not as noticeable as going from a 7 to a 6s. I'd just be concerned about longevity. The 7 is already almost 2 years old as a model- how is it going to work for the next 2 years?

Can you wait another 5 weeks? The new phones usually come out mid September, and the other models drop in price.

Also, have you priced getting yours fixed? The Apple store is pretty decent with pricing.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2018, 03:42 PM   #1933
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Can you wait another 5 weeks? The new phones usually come out mid September, and the other models drop in price.

Also, have you priced getting yours fixed? The Apple store is pretty decent with pricing.
Didn't even think it'd be fixable. The back bent and the motor stopped vibrating. Lord knows what happened internally. Maybe I'll stop by Market Mall tonight.

Longevity definitely crossed my mind, although I don't know if I'm sticking with Apple for more than 2-3 years after this anyway. I just really don't like the glass back idea of the 8...

I'd have to get one before Sept 20, so I might be able to get in on the price drop.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:20 PM   #1934
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
Didn't even think it'd be fixable. The back bent and the motor stopped vibrating. Lord knows what happened internally. Maybe I'll stop by Market Mall tonight.

Longevity definitely crossed my mind, although I don't know if I'm sticking with Apple for more than 2-3 years after this anyway. I just really don't like the glass back idea of the 8...

I'd have to get one before Sept 20, so I might be able to get in on the price drop.
If Apple gives you no love, I can PM you the name and number of a guy who does repairs. I pinched my iPhone 6 in a hatch of a car (don't ask), and although I didn't break the glass screen, I bent the metal and the actual LCD screen broke. It took about 30 minutes and $60, and I'm back in business. Added bonus is that my Apple Pay tap sensor wasn't working, but the reconnecting of things now has that working flawlessly too.

See what Apple says, but if you're in "nothing to lose" territory, you might be able to squeeze a little bit of life out of it yet.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2018, 04:28 PM   #1935
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
See what Apple says, but if you're in "nothing to lose" territory, you might be able to squeeze a little bit of life out of it yet.
Thanks. Was kind of hoping to squeeze another year out of the 6, but I won't be heartbroken either way I guess. I'll check if it's repairable for sure. Just assumed they'd only repair broken screens, dead batteries, etc.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:31 PM   #1936
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yah I have the 6 as well that I am looking to replace. Leaning towards the X but might go with the 8.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:51 PM   #1937
photon

Exp:

I was thinking of getting an Apple Watch for someone for a gift, those usually get released in September too don't they? I should probably wait?
Old 08-13-2018, 04:58 PM   #1938
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I was thinking of getting an Apple Watch for someone for a gift, those usually get released in September too don't they? I should probably wait?
Yes, there's likely going to be a new watch next month. It's supposed to have a bigger screen and better battery. Worth the wait if you ask me.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2018, 05:06 PM   #1939
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I’d wait. The last update was September of last year and there’s some speculation that there could be some redesign and improvements.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:43 PM   #1940
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

The screen on the watch isn’t large enough? How much bigger should it be? I thought 42mm was a pretty good size.

I like the 7 as an upgrade from the 5s. Thinner and larger screen without being obscenely large. Water resistant is nice. I was always a bit paranoid about taking photos around water and stuff before.

I saw 7 do sale in here that looked like a pretty good deal for the 256gb version depending on the condition and everything.