Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2020, 06:06 PM   #1
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Bobby Ryan wins 2020 Bill Masterton Trophy

Bobby Ryan has won the 2020 Bill Masterton Trophy.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article...morial-trophy/

The three finalists had been Bobby Ryan, Oscar Lindblom and Stephen Johns.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:34 PM   #2
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

I... don't know how it doesn't go to the guy who is literally beating cancer?

Bobby Ryan's story is a good one, and it is huge that he is back and sober but... man

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:36 PM   #3
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

This was voted on well before Lindblom returned, fwiw.

I fully expect him to win it next year. Still pretty silly that this award is a competition at all.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2020, 07:38 PM   #4
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

What was it Brian Burke said about Ryan? He didn’t know how to spell heart or something like that?

Congratulations to him.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:40 PM   #5
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was surprised that Lindblom was a finalist this year because he hadn't returned to play yet when the votes were cast. Unless someone else beats super-cancer next season, I expect he'll get it next year.

I was also surprised that Gio was the Flames' nominee this year and not Brodie.
Old 09-07-2020, 07:42 PM   #6
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
What was it Brian Burke said about Ryan? He didn’t know how to spell heart or something like that?

Congratulations to him.
The word was "intense."

Believe it was used to justify him not being included on the 2014 Olympic team over guys like Justin Abdelkader. Looking back.... he probably should've been there.

I'm a huge fan of Bobby. Hoping he helps lead a big resurgence in Ottawa next year.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2020, 07:49 PM   #7
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wasn't McDavid a shoe in for this award? Isn't that what all the Edmonton writers have been saying since last summer? He wasn't even a finalist?! I guess they will get to write about the anti-Oiler bias the rest of the world has for the next week or so.
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eric Vail For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2020, 08:26 PM   #8
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I really disagree with Bobby Ryan winning this. Should have been Johns or Lindbolm who recovered from actual serious health problems.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:33 PM   #9
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
I really disagree with Bobby Ryan winning this. Should have been Johns or Lindbolm who recovered from actual serious health problems.
See this is why I hate how this award is given. It causes people to minimize certain people's struggles in favour of people who they think had it worse.

Substance abuse issues have killed countless people. It absolutely is a health problem.

Old 09-07-2020, 08:36 PM   #10
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

This is definitely an award that should have co-winners.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2020, 08:45 PM   #11
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
See this is why I hate how this award is given. It causes people to minimize certain people's struggles in favour of people who they think had it worse.

Substance abuse issues have killed countless people. It absolutely is a health problem.
I'm not minimizing anything, it's fantastic that he has turned his life around. But substance abuse still comes down to making choices; the choice to start and making the choice the get help. Neither Johns nor Lindbolm had any choice in what happened to them or their recovery.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:50 PM   #12
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not minimizing anything, it's fantastic that he has turned his life around. But substance abuse still comes down to making choices; the choice to start and making the choice the get help. Neither Johns nor Lindbolm had any choice in what happened to them or their recovery.
You know what - I agree in part. But the crassness of the statement of "actual health problems" is so condescending and borderline #######ish, that it detracts from your message. That said for someone to be able to actual admit that they have a problem and take the steps to address that problem, is a huge accomplishment and takes a lot of perseverance and is very worthy of respect.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mean Mr. Mustard For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2020, 09:01 PM   #13
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
You know what - I agree in part. But the crassness of the statement of "actual health problems" is so condescending and borderline #######ish, that it detracts from your message. That said for someone to be able to actual admit that they have a problem and take the steps to address that problem, is a huge accomplishment and takes a lot of perseverance and is very worthy of respect.
Yeah, I worded my initial post poorly and I do respect what Bobby Ryan has done, but I don't think he deserves an award for it.
Old 09-07-2020, 09:05 PM   #14
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, I worded my initial post poorly and I do respect what Bobby Ryan has done, but I don't think he deserves an award for it.
I think otherwise. Substance abuse is a disease. And alcohol withdrawal is straight up deadly. Moreso than dope sickness. I didnt think that was true either, but it is. Doesnt matter how you got there. Most times there isn't a way out. Someone absolutely deserves an award for crawling out of a bottle.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2020, 09:07 PM   #15
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...or-bobby-ryan/

Quote:
Bob Stevenson was charged with attempted murder, aggravated assault and criminal restraint. Melody told the prosecutors that she wouldn’t co-operate, but they thought they had an airtight case just based on her injuries and neighbours’ eyewitness testimony. Today, she says she still loved Bob, still thought Bobby needed his father. Bob says he still loved Melody, still felt that his son needed him. The idea of public shame, of a trial, of going to jail, of being separated from his wife and, most of all, he’ll say, not being there for his son, was too much for Bob. He was released on $75,000 bail and skipped it a few weeks later, landing in El Segundo, Calif.

Bob Stevenson took on an alias, Shane Ryan. Ryan was his wife’s maiden name, so it was no stretch for Melody to use it again when she drove across the country with Bobby to rejoin her husband and try to stitch the family back together. The newly minted Mr. and Mrs. Ryan told Bobby that going forward his last name was Ryan too, that the other name was never to be mentioned. “They were serious, so I only had to be told once,” Bobby says.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 09:09 PM   #16
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Something else about substance abuse is it's so heavily stigmatized that it's often a fight one undertakes alone... and often, it combines with things like depression to the point where you're not even sure if you're on your own side. It can be hell.

I'm not aware if Bobby suffered any additional mental health struggles during his recovery but I would not be surprised at all. Either way, he's very brave and strong for making it this far and going public.

Old 09-07-2020, 09:12 PM   #17
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I honestly kind of wish they didn't announce the winner. Here are the nominees, three great accomplishments, no need to try to compare one person's struggles to another.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2020, 09:13 PM   #18
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You just implied that he brought it on himself. And there may be elements of truth to that. However even if someone smoked and got cancer as a result, it doesn't make the struggle to get healthy any less significant. I will tell you something, the number of people who I have seen die from drugs, alcohol and the related illnesses is incredibly high. I think that you sound judgmental towards him for having a substance abuse issue and differentiate that from a physical illness (cancer) for which you have more empathy. The struggle for people to get clean and stay clean is real and that is why so many people have setbacks and failures. Hopefully this award will serve as a small reminder of the support he has and can serve as inspiration for others in the NHL and in the public at large.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mean Mr. Mustard For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2020, 09:13 PM   #19
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post
Wasn't McDavid a shoe in for this award? Isn't that what all the Edmonton writers have been saying since last summer? He wasn't even a finalist?! I guess they will get to write about the anti-Oiler bias the rest of the world has for the next week or so.
The courage he exhibited overcoming acne, in addition to the enduring trauma of the Town of The No Good.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2020, 09:19 PM   #20
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is the Masterton silver?

Amazing McDavid didn’t win it. He literally defied science by rejoining an amputation and then tapped on the knee and said Let’s Go.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post: