Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2020, 05:30 PM   #41
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

New GM.
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 05:36 PM   #42
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
I *was* going to say that. The problem is that I don't know if it would actually make a difference. He seems pretty hands off, except to say "at least break even" (my presumption on that, anyway) and "let me bask in the glory of owning the team" or whatever it is he does over there in expatriate-land. If we're lucky, the Brits will tax him at about 357%. Would serve him right.

So the only tangible benefit might be having a new owner who spends on a coach (and a GM?). Flames spend to the cap pretty much so that part is not gonna change.
He's one of the most hands on owners in the whole league.

Maybe the most hands on.

The Flames being absolutely terrible and Murray Edwards involvement in the team basically coincide completely. The more involved the worse it's gotten.

Nothing will change in this organization while he's still with them.

He's Calgary's Harold Ballard.

The hope is he sells the team before his moment of silence is eventually boo'd like it was for Bill Wirtz.

Darryl Sutter to Mike Keenan: "I'm not firing you, the owners are."
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2020, 05:37 PM   #43
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

a proven head coach.

Trotz was a perfect kind of coach that can maximize players...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 05:38 PM   #44
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Win or lose, give Dube, Bennett, Mangiapane the PP1 opportunities and 5v5/4v4/3v3 icetime currently being given to and pissed away by Monahan, Gaudreau, and Lindholm. If those guys earn their spots back by doing the small things they refuse to implement in their games, great, but they shouldn't start the season expecting the same old.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 08-25-2020 at 06:11 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 05:44 PM   #45
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
He's one of the most hands on owners in the whole league.

Maybe the most hands on.

The Flames being absolutely terrible and Murray Edwards involvement in the team basically coincide completely. The more involved the worse it's gotten.

Nothing will change in this organization while he's still with them.

He's Calgary's Harold Ballard.

The hope is he sells the team before his moment of silence is eventually boo'd like it was for Bill Wirtz.

Darryl Sutter to Mike Keenan: "I'm not firing you, the owners are."

In a league that has owners like Katz and Melnyk... Calgary's Ballard?

I am no fan of Edwards, but that's quite the exaggeration.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2020, 05:50 PM   #46
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Something changed during last year's All-Star break. I don't know what it was. It seems nobody in the organization does either, or they haven't been able to fix it. Whatever it is, I want it changed back. And if nobody in the organization has been able, then maybe an expert from the outside, an elite hockey mind, can find it. So, new head coach, I guess. Though I do think Ward has been above average overall, so there's a good chance that even a high-pedigree coach could be a step back.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 05:54 PM   #47
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Easy answer, they need a new Head Coach. If money is an issue I would rather they spend 3 million under the cap and use that money on a HC. Spending to the cap and getting a coach off the bargain bin makes no sense. Personally I think that bargain bin coaches was more a GM decision than a monetary one.

I doubt this GM has the ability to find an elite HC, but with only one choice (and a belief that the organization will not get a new GM) i went with a new HC. Alternatively maybe a new GM would have been a better answer because that would likely lead to a new HC and you could kill two birds with one stone.

Last edited by Aarongavey; 08-25-2020 at 05:57 PM.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 06:55 PM   #48
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
Sadly, I have to agree with Flash. I've come to believe that this idiotic "Just make the playoffs and anything can happen" attitude has to be coming down from the top, as it's persisted through multiple regime changes now.

They'll never get anywhere with rushed rebuilds and holding on to old cores past the point where they can compete.
“Just get in and anything can happen” has pervaded this organization’s thinking for the last 16 years.

This is true, when:

1. You have an elite goalie.
2. You have an elite HC.
3. You have an elite skater who can carry your entire group single handedly.

Doesn’t work when you’re 0/3.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:12 PM   #49
Super-Rye
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's tough to pick a single change cause i think this team needs to make quite a few.

Head coach is definitely a big one. They also need to shake up the top 6 somehow and start shifting this team to being Tkachuks team.

The biggest need I see is they need to rebuild the defense. I dont like the way they are built right now and if they lose Brodie that's gonna be a huge hole to fill. I hate the way this team defends, not just the defense but the whole team. I think they're actually a really bad defensive team and it worries me that the current coach and GM think they're a good defending team because I don't see it.
Super-Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:28 PM   #50
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
In a league that has owners like Katz and Melnyk... Calgary's Ballard?

I am no fan of Edwards, but that's quite the exaggeration.
you're right actually, Melnyk is the Ballard, Edwards is the Wirtz
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 07:59 PM   #51
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Getting the first overall pick.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:19 PM   #52
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Head coach.

Peters had the accountability of players that Hartley had, so Treliving was keen to go back to that type of coach. Finish first in the Western Conference after 82 is something that often goes ignores because of the Game 2 missed OT chance which turned the Flames post season upside down.

This year, a bit of a hangover and then Peters is ousted. Sure the team breathes a sigh of relief, Lucic especially, because Peters was coming down hard on them after a mediocre start. But, back to a players coach that played music and let them play soccer in practice. After an initial good first few weeks it tailed back to the same mentality where the players took over the room like happened with GG and Playfair if we want to go back to 2007.

Team came together for playoffs and beating Winnipeg, but Ward was in tough to make playoffs if the regular season played itself out IMO and not sure Ward had the answers or the ability to get thst extra out of players like guys like Peters (and Hartley, and Sutter) did by pushing buttons.

I think BT goes back to the old school style coach.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:31 PM   #53
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s stunning that this core has had 4 different head coaches and people still think getting a new coach is going to fix this team. Laughable almost. I don’t think a high end coach is enough. Not even close. Laviolette or Gallant or Boudreau would only be a band-aid.

This core is rotten. I would like to see them blow it up but realistically I think they’ll move a guy like Johnny or Monahan and go after Hall or someone else via trade.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:36 PM   #54
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lots of coaches does not mean that coaching isn't the problem. In fact, it implies that it is - if the coaching were good, it wouldn't have been changed 3 times in 3 years.

Yes, there are lots of problems. But coaching is one of the biggest. And most importantly, it is the easiest to fix.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2020, 10:31 PM   #55
klikitiklik
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Go back to our retro uniforms full time. That's the first step in changing this organization.

Then go ahead and clean house. Time to rip off the band aid that has held this group together. Do not involve emotion or past performance. We need a new GM with a winning history, that can hire a coach with the same winning at all levels history. for example Gallant.

No idea who the right GM would be.
Old 08-25-2020, 10:47 PM   #56
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Number one center with strong 2-way game to play heavy 5-on-5 minutes. Barkov would be my number one target.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2020, 11:05 PM   #57
Purpdust
Farm Team Player

Exp:

One thing ��

Single memo, New GM andd coaching staff, then trade Gio, JG, SM, NH and the rights to TJB and TH. Make MT captain and change the home jersey to Retro Red
Purpdust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Purpdust For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2020, 11:29 PM   #58
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpdust View Post
One thing ��

Single memo, New GM andd coaching staff, then trade Gio, JG, SM, NH and the rights to TJB and TH. Make MT captain and change the home jersey to Retro Red
I like your ideas but I dislike your use of abbreviations.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2020, 11:56 PM   #59
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
It’s stunning that this core has had 4 different head coaches and people still think getting a new coach is going to fix this team. Laughable almost. I don’t think a high end coach is enough. Not even close. Laviolette or Gallant or Boudreau would only be a band-aid.

This core is rotten. I would like to see them blow it up but realistically I think they’ll move a guy like Johnny or Monahan and go after Hall or someone else via trade.

It’s stunning that you could make an argument in favour of that dog’s breakfast of coaches
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 12:21 AM   #60
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I'll make a football analogy here. I watched the Kansas City Chiefs stumble through playoff game after playoff game not getting it done. They even had some good coaches too, but would always come up short. Most of those years they had good Quarterbacks, but never an elite top of his game one. Alex Smith was putting up good numbers and they had just won 12 games. They still traded significant picks to move into a position to draft Patrick Mahomes. In the last two years with Mahomes starting they won the Superbowl, and they were damn close to getting there the previous year. Despite having a decent option in hand they took a risk to go get a better one at the most important position in the game.

If the team wants to make one move...go all in to move into position to draft a center early in the first round.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post: