Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2020, 10:44 AM   #1
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:
Flames Flames Garbage Day Quotes

Quotes from:
https://twitter.com/KdotAnderson
https://twitter.com/WesGilbertson
https://twitter.com/Fan960Steinberg
https://twitter.com/AAVickers

Flames (virtual) garbage bag day getting underway this morning. We're chatting with Mark Giordano right now. Very evident this post-season exit is hitting him hard.

Sean Monahan on potential changes to the group's core:
Quote:
"I want to be in Calgary. I want to win in Calgary."
Milan Lucic:
Quote:
'I truly believe that this team is close. I believe the coaches feel it. I believe that management feels it. I know the players feel it."

“I felt like I contributed. And I hadn’t felt like that for a long time. I felt like my old self in a sense, because I was contributing again.”
Mark Giordano hoping that something works out for his longtime pal/defence partner TJ Brodie to stay in Calgary. He's a UFA:
Quote:
"It's a guy that you obviously don't want to see go."
Johnny Gaudreau on his line's play:
Quote:
"I thought defensively we were really good in our own zone with our line. That was really important to Wardo ... just unfortunate some of the chances we had didn't go in."
Quote:
"Calgary has been a second home to me. I love playing there. I love my teammates there. I love the city. The fans are awesome. It’s a team I can see myself playing for the remainder of my career."

"That's the kind of market you want to be in. The fans, they just want you do well ... everywhere you go, every team you play for, there's going to be hard times and some unhappy people."
More Gaudreau:
Quote:
"I understand why fans are upset. We’ve been in the same situation the past few years… It’s frustrating on us. I’m sure it’s frustrating on the fans. They’re passionate. I’m sure they aren’t happy. We’re not happy either."

"It’s just part of the business we’re in. You never want to see a player get traded, especially a guy you’ve played with for a while now. When I hear my name, it’s not the greatest thing to hear because I do enjoy playing in Calgary."
Dillon Dube feels having Milan Lucic on his line and being around him on a day-to-day basis helped him take his game to the next level:
Quote:
"Being on a line with that guy, who has done it all ... it really helps you as a player."
Sam Bennett, on taking another step personally:
Quote:
"I’ve always believed in myself, I’ve always known I can be that player to have big impacts in every game. I’m hopeful and looking forward to bigger role and bigger opportunity. Then it’s just up to me to take advantage of it."

"I’m sure I speak for everyone on our team that we’re not content with that and it doesn’t sit well with us. We definitely have to figure that out. We have to find a way to change the way things have been going."
Sam Bennett on the shift back to centre in the playoffs:
Quote:
“I loved it. I love playing centre. I think it compliments my game. I think I’m able to use my speed a little bit more and get more involved in games.”
Cam Talbot, on returning to Calgary:
Quote:
“We’d love to. I loved it there. My wife and family loved it there. It would have to be the right situation for myself and for them, but we’d be very open for coming back for next year and beyond.”

Last edited by AC; 08-24-2020 at 11:41 AM.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:47 AM   #2
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1297938484087250945
Old 08-24-2020, 10:49 AM   #3
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I always find when people start a sentence with "to be honest", they're not really being honest.
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to genetic_phreek For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2020, 10:50 AM   #4
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know it is just a snippet but I get the sense Monahan would sign a decent contract if offered. We need another top 6 center if we want to try and win with good center depth.

Trade Gaudreau. Weak excuse on the chances thing haha.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:50 AM   #5
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
If Johnny wants to stay and play he I would more than welcome and fair contract for him. It’s nice to hear that, I hope he stays a Flame for the rest of his career. He is part of the solution not problem.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2020, 10:52 AM   #6
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post
I always find when people start a sentence with "to be honest", they're not really being honest.
I am not racist but...
Definitely gives the same vibe. Never looked at it that way.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2020, 10:56 AM   #7
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post

To be honest, I think you’re right.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2020, 10:58 AM   #8
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
I know it is just a snippet but I get the sense Monahan would sign a decent contract if offered. We need another top 6 center if we want to try and win with good center depth.
And he’s been saying this stuff since Day 1, seems genuine to me. From 2016:
Quote:
Monahan told TSN in July that he preferred a multiyear contract rather than a shorter bridge deal.

"I definitely want to be there for a long time," he said then. "So I would prefer a longer-term contract, but that's not up for me to decide. So I think I want to be there, I want to be in Calgary for the rest of my career, so that's something that I'm looking forward to doing."
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:59 AM   #9
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
To be honest, I think you’re right.
I'm not always right, but I'm never wrong
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 11:01 AM   #10
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do they have a sheet they read from every year? Are they prepared for this like intermission interviews or maybe is it part of Flames training?

I hate these quotes because they're complete BS. Like genetic_phreek said, "to be honest" means more along the lines of "this is what you want to hear"

And Gio's comments about Brodie sound strange to me. Why not say something like "that's a guy you need to win" or "he makes everyone around him better" or things like that.

It's like they don't want to say the truth and if they honestly think they were that close to winning it, they need more help than we think. Why doesn't' someone just come out and say that the team was clearly not good enough or that changes need to be made if they want a different outcome. I'm surprised someone just doesn't say "this is a really fun team to play with, the guys have lots of fun off the ice and we're used to the losses at this point. Keep this team together because anything can happen right? lol"

These garbage day quotes are more like "cleaning out day garbage quotes"
Old 08-24-2020, 11:03 AM   #11
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

^^^ lol
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2020, 11:05 AM   #13
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

"To be honest" is sentence filler that allows time to formulate your thought. Its wasted space. Similar to 'um' 'like' just'.

Don't read too much into it.
Dan403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 11:06 AM   #14
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Remember when Darryl Sutter started virtually every sentence with "To be quite honest..."?
Old 08-24-2020, 11:09 AM   #15
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

"It's unfortunate we haven't reached the end-goal that we've wanted in the past, but it's been a second home to me"

Being kicked out of the playoffs in the first round or not making the playoffs has been a second home to me?

"My family loves it there"...there, not here?

"My girlfriend likes being there"....again, not here?

And I hate the use of the word "comfortable" on garbage day. That right here might be the problem.
Old 08-24-2020, 11:09 AM   #16
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If this helps us get a better return on JG because he said he doesn't want to go, then thank you JG one last time.

We need to move on from giving our players the Iggy treatment. That was a total disaster.

I honestly think all Canadian teams suffer from it. Too much heart in decisions and not enough business.

Hence why American teams that don't have player fixated fan bases have freedom to wheel I don't think we do. It hurts us.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 11:11 AM   #17
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is a classic 'Kiss of Death' quote.

Thanks Johnny.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2020, 11:11 AM   #18
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
"It's unfortunate we haven't reached the end-goal that we've wanted in the past, but it's been a second home to me"

Being kicked out of the playoffs in the first round or not making the playoffs has been a second home to me?

"My family loves it there"...there, not here?

"My girlfriend likes being there"....again, not here?

And I hate the use of the word "comfortable" on garbage day. That right here might be the problem.
It's "there" because they aren't in Calgary, they all flew home already. These are virtual interviews from their homes.

Backlund reunited with his daughter in Sweden:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CERk5r6DQ6W/
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 11:12 AM   #19
IGGYRULES
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If Johnny really wanted to move out east the easiest way to make it happen in fairly short order would be to imply that or outright state that he'd like to play closer to his home. I think his comments are genuine about playing in Calgary. With that being said he'd need to prove that with an extension before free agency.
IGGYRULES is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to IGGYRULES For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2020, 11:13 AM   #20
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
It's "there" because they aren't in Calgary, they all flew home already. These are virtual interviews from their homes.

Backlund reunited with his daughter in Sweden:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CERk5r6DQ6W/
Yeah their lockers were cleaned out within an hour of their last game, same as everybody else. See ya, we need the space!
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post: