Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which training camp PTOs get offered a contract
Tobias Reider 199 48.66%
Andrew MacDonald 106 25.92%
Eric Gryba 5 1.22%
Devante Smith-Pelley 94 22.98%
Zac Rinaldo 141 34.47%
Alex Grenier 2 0.49%
A PTO from a different team 6 1.47%
None 84 20.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 409. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-26-2019, 05:02 PM   #81
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

One thing to keep in mind here is that neither Dube or Kylington require waivers to go down, that gives the team some added roster flexibility. If they sign Rieder and MacDonald at similar cap hits, it doesn't effect the current cap situation while giving the team some much needed added depth.

Dube and Kylington haven't played poorly in pre-season but they haven't exactly stolen a spot in camp either. Having both in the AHL working on their games and being available as injury call ups is probably the best way to go IMO.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 12:39 AM   #82
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Thanks to AC for this link in the game thread.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1177457323708563461

Pretty much seals the deal. Bill Peters has his favourites and Tobias Rieder is one of them. #BlameToby
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 12:46 AM   #83
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Edmonton wanted goal scoring from Rieder, instead of playing to his strengths in a defensive role. Peters see great value in that.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 08:40 AM   #84
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I like Rieder, I think he is a good fit as a 12/13 forward and penalty killer. If his offensive game returns, even better, but he brings enough else to the table where it's needed like it was in Edmonton. I do think it is a foregone conclusion that he gets signed.

I think Rinaldo gets signed and waived, as depth/toughness for the Heat. Losing Rychel & Peluso really hurts their toughness.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:43 AM   #85
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really disappointed in Smith-Pelley. Thought the Flames may have brought in a player with something left in the tank and a bit of an edge. He's really been unnoticeable.
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:49 AM   #86
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think its entirely possible that Reider, Quine and MacDonald all make the big club to start the season.

Dube and Kylington are sent down. Czarnik waived, and very likely he clears IMO.

Then we start seeing a revolving door between Calgary and Stockton.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:51 AM   #87
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
With the team right up to the salary cap, I not sure any of these guys get signed, even at league minimum. There's enough comparable in-house talent to fill the lower spots.
? One league minimum player on the roster counts the same as another against the cap?

Might actually be cheaper to play Reider than Dubé if Reider signs for minimum
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:55 AM   #88
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I was convinced MacDonald was getting a deal the day his PTO was announced. Wasn't thrilled then, not thrilled now.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:57 AM   #89
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have even heard the radio guys make this comment about the cap hurting their ability to sign PTO players. Makes no sense unless they are expecting more than league minimum as veterans. I suppose there's always a chance that another club might be interested as Versteeg for example got $900K.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:59 AM   #90
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I think its entirely possible that Reider, Quine and MacDonald all make the big club to start the season.

Dube and Kylington are sent down. Czarnik waived, and very likely he clears IMO.

Then we start seeing a revolving door between Calgary and Stockton.
I see no reason to waive Czarnik, because I do think he gets claimed pretty quickly. If we sign Toby & Andy to matching 700k deals and send down Dube & Kylington, we'd barely be into LTIR

Last edited by Crown Royal; 09-27-2019 at 09:10 AM. Reason: bad math
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 09:00 AM   #91
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

DSP has been so underwhelming.

Rinaldo is just meh...love the tenacity but does he really fit a role we don't already have? Hathaway's maybe?

Reider has the most potential imo. Speed, PK, something to prove to the Coilers...
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 09:01 AM   #92
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wanna see Lucic, Talbot and Reider all have career years as Flames just as a big FU to the Oilers...
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stanley For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 10:20 AM   #93
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will be disappointed if Kylington doesn't make the team out of training camp. I'm a big fan and still think he has a lot of potential. I do wish he had a more emphatic training camp but I think he's been, for the most part, good so far and combined with last season's body of work deserves to start the season on the third pairing.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:34 AM   #94
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be disappointed if Andrew MacDonald got an NHL spot for his underwhelming camp. In past preseasons guys like Kulak and Wotherspoon have had better camps and been discarded.

Now Kylington had a rough night last night, but I'm willing to think that he learned from the tape, and that his positives are of more value than the overblown negatives especially given the overall body of work. He's still managed to have a better camp than Noah Hanifin for instance. His game against the Jets was a strong one.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:43 AM   #95
playmaker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I'd be disappointed if Andrew MacDonald got an NHL spot for his underwhelming camp. In past preseasons guys like Kulak and Wotherspoon have had better camps and been discarded.

Now Kylington had a rough night last night, but I'm willing to think that he learned from the tape, and that his positives are of more value than the overblown negatives especially given the overall body of work. He's still managed to have a better camp than Noah Hanifin for instance. His game against the Jets was a strong one.

The problem is Kylington is apparently #7D at this point. He's not going to benefit from sitting in the press box and/or getting 12 minutes once in five games, he needs to play 1st pairing minutes in the minors to get better and more confident.
playmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:56 AM   #96
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Im confused as according to most talking heads (Loubardias/Haynes etc) etc, MacDonald has had a good camp. Doing what was expected by being very steady in his own end and not getting caught out of position very often....pretty much what he has always been. He was overpaid in Philly but that concern is removed now.

Perfect #7 type guy.

Kylington has done himself no favors apparently and him starting as the extra guy makes no sense for him nor the team. He needs to be playing. That opportunity is greatest in Stockton.

Stone has had a terrific camp and makes the decisions a little easier.

Purely guessing but i think MacDonald gets a 1 way league min (or close too), OK goes down along with Davidson.

Injuries will happen and depending who gets hurt will depend on who gets called up.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:44 AM   #97
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
DSP has been so underwhelming.
He has been underwhelming his whole career really. Not sure why he keeps getting chances. He should go to the KHL already.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:57 AM   #98
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think MacDonald has had a better camp than Kylington and Stone. I think Kylington has been mostly underwhelming in the pre season. I also don't think he was all that great last year either.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JTech780 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2019, 12:05 PM   #99
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
He has been underwhelming his whole career really. Not sure why he keeps getting chances. He should go to the KHL already.
He was a big in the Caps cup run
Old 09-27-2019, 12:15 PM   #100
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Instead of PTOs, are there any defensemen that could be waived that would be a step up on MacDonald, Davidson & Kylington?