Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which training camp PTOs get offered a contract
Tobias Reider 199 48.66%
Andrew MacDonald 106 25.92%
Eric Gryba 5 1.22%
Devante Smith-Pelley 94 22.98%
Zac Rinaldo 141 34.47%
Alex Grenier 2 0.49%
A PTO from a different team 6 1.47%
None 84 20.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 409. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-23-2019, 08:07 AM   #61
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
I think the first PTO to make it will be Rinaldo and I'm surprised to be saying this.

The guy has totally changed my perspective of him since camp started. Speaks well, is a great interview off the ice.

On the ice he's a lot faster than I though the was, of course doesn't mind going into dirty spots and we all know he can drop the gloves with the best of them. I think he fills the 4th line role we're missing just perfectly. He's also there if you want him as the 13th FW to slot in and protect our guys against the dirty division rivals, he's takes Hathaway's spot on the 4th line, not as "skilled" for lack of a better word but a LOT tougher.
I've been impressed with him too, but that's a stretch. At 5'11" 185 he's not dropping the gloves with the best of them, and in all honestly I don't remember him winning many of the fights I've seen him in, which admittedly is not that many.
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:23 AM   #62
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
As camp progresses, my favourites have changed. Smith-Pelly has dropped, Reider is rising. MacDonald is my darkhorse.

You still have to factor in the labour pool floating about other NHL camps, as well as any late waiver pickups.

I agree. But with that said, I don’t think Reider makes the cut, he seems to be laking any finish. And if you can’t produce offence in the preseason..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:23 AM   #63
klikitiklik
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I disagree. I think we need to start seeing the main roster in action for two or three preseason games and I think Peters feels the same way, seeing as how there's a big round of cuts supposedly on schedule for today.
Do we know when?
Old 09-23-2019, 08:27 AM   #64
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Based on yesterday,

I think I'd keep Reider around. He seems to have the most polished game of all the PTOs. His speed and pace of play is exactly what Bill Peters would appreciate it.

MacDonald probably had his worst game of the preseason last game and was out shined by Kylington in my opinion. Still has a chance, but not 100% sure he'll beat out Kylington unless its for contractual reasons.

I think Rinaldo is offered a contract, but plays mostly in Stockton this season if he does accept

Had high hopes for DSP, but wow does he look labored skating around. Think his skating has taken a hit or his conditioning level or something, because it doesn't look like he can keep up anymore

Grenier looked ok, noticed him a couple times, nothing impressive, mostly forgettable
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:21 AM   #65
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Based on yesterday,

I think I'd keep Reider around. He seems to have the most polished game of all the PTOs. His speed and pace of play is exactly what Bill Peters would appreciate it.

MacDonald probably had his worst game of the preseason last game and was out shined by Kylington in my opinion. Still has a chance, but not 100% sure he'll beat out Kylington unless its for contractual reasons.

I think Rinaldo is offered a contract, but plays mostly in Stockton this season if he does accept

Had high hopes for DSP, but wow does he look labored skating around. Think his skating has taken a hit or his conditioning level or something, because it doesn't look like he can keep up anymore

Grenier looked ok, noticed him a couple times, nothing impressive, mostly forgettable
Pretty much agree with all of this.

Rieder could be a nice plug and play option to provide some speed and penalty killing ability. I think there is enough of a niche there for him. Rinaldo will be signed IMO as long as he is open to taking a 2 way. Could provide a spark some nights and seems like a solid glue guy.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:06 AM   #66
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Based on yesterday,

Yeah, DSP just looks so dreadful out there. He did make a nice outlet pass to spring Gawdin's breakaway but other than that, he's been noticeable only in a negative way and it looks like he can barely even move on the ice at all anymore.

Can't see him getting an NHL or even AHL contract from anyone. He looks done.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Karl For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2019, 11:08 AM   #67
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Do you think it would be Stone or Kylington sent down to Stockton then?
I think they'll start with 8 defensemen and 13 forwards

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:18 AM   #68
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

As for who I think gets a PTO. I'll say Rieder or nobody. I've heard Rinaldo has looked good but if he gets any deal out of his PTO then I will feel sick and want to puke.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 01:55 PM   #69
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Grenier released today
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2019, 02:06 PM   #70
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Im pretty sure Rinaldo gets a 2 way 700K deal if he wants to sign it. He will play primarily in Stockton unless injuries force a change. Same for MacDonald, though he may be the 7th guy in Cgy.

Im really not convinced Reider gets a 1 way and not sure he would sign a 2 way deal. He can go make AHL+ money in Germany.

DSP gets no offer.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:50 PM   #71
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I think they'll start with 8 defensemen and 13 forwards
I think theres a chance they may go with 7 and 13 to fit under the cap.

Barring no big trades.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:14 PM   #72
Leo
Backup Goalie

Exp:

If reider scores 12 goals well definately make the playoffs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:19 PM   #73
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

With the team right up to the salary cap, I not sure any of these guys get signed, even at league minimum. There's enough comparable in-house talent to fill the lower spots.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2019, 06:31 PM   #74
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
With the team right up to the salary cap, I not sure any of these guys get signed, even at league minimum. There's enough comparable in-house talent to fill the lower spots.
I'm not sure what the cap has to do with it. If anything, I'd say the cap makes it more likely that a guy like Rieder signs at 700k. Rieder at 700k gives the team more flexibility than Quine at 735k, and the Flames have a ton of contract room.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:36 PM   #75
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

The way Peters sings Reiders praises i have little doubt they make room for him. Plus it makes for a great story line when he scores 20 goals for cgy after leaving edmonton while Neal pots 10 goals.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:42 PM   #76
getoverit
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Not sure if they sign any but if they do i like your story line and results 😊
Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
The way Peters sings Reiders praises i have little doubt they make room for him. Plus it makes for a great story line when he scores 20 goals for cgy after leaving edmonton while Neal pots 10 goals.
getoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:26 AM   #77
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
I think theres a chance they may go with 7 and 13 to fit under the cap.

Barring no big trades.
They are under the cap.... remember that Välimäki is on LTIR.

Also... signing any player to league minimum (or close to it) doesn't affect the cap as long as we have contracts to give and we are 43/50 on those.
JackIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 01:53 PM   #78
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackIsBack View Post

Also... signing any player to league minimum (or close to it) doesn't affect the cap as long as we have contracts to give and we are 43/50 on those.
They are under, but don't bank anything. If they run with 22 players, they will actually bank some space. If they run with 23, they wouldn't bank any.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 02:05 PM   #79
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackIsBack View Post

Its the same reason they went with 22 for most of last season, gained cap space for if/when they needed it. It has nothing to do with signing players and everything to do with who/how many are up with the big club.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 02:08 PM   #80
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Per CapFriendly, and running with 13 forwards and 7 D, you would have $120K in cap space by sending down Dube, and keeping Czarnik and Quine up. Add $35K to that number if you sign a PTO for league minimum and send down Quine.

If you waive Czarnik, send down Dube and keep Quine and a PTO at minimum, you'd have almost $500K in cap space you'd be banking at start of year.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post: