Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2019, 11:53 PM   #341
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

The locals must somehow become immune to the bugs. I do not understand how anyone could live in those conditions otherwise. I have a couple of friends who have spent time in areas near, and the consensus is that it's f-ing insane in high summer. Hundreds if not thousands of mosquitoes all up in your space, black flies, horseflies, soggy, boggy terrain. Man. Suicide might have been their sweet release after the mistake of not having checked google maps far enough to see that the northern highway ended at Gillam, instead of taking them to northern Ontario and beyond.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:52 AM   #342
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
If I had to take wild stab at it, my guess is the boat flipped, they got soaked came to shore and probably didn't make it through the night.
Gotta agree with that. Going in a boat like that in the Nelson River isn't going gently down the stream.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:01 AM   #343
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
If I had to take wild stab at it, my guess is the boat flipped, they got soaked came to shore and probably didn't make it through the night.
I'm thinking the same. Small consolation that they were almost certainly miserable before they died.

When people are talking about bugs - does mosquito spray or citronella not work? Are the mosquitos and horseflies just larger and more aggressive? What other kinds of bugs are we talking about?? I'm one of those people who gets swarmed by mosquitos here at disk...I can't imagine it being worse.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:02 AM   #344
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Don’t get offended by the shade thrown at northern MB. Urban dwellers only pretend to be against rural living, until they need a “living my best life” instagram captioned post.
Literally nobody is “living their best life” in Manitoba. Nice try!
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2019, 07:17 AM   #345
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
I didn't know bugs can have such an affect. Are they mosquitoes that are the worst?

Is northern Alberta as bad?
The black flies are the worst.

Grew up in Ft McMurray, there were certainly some pretty bad bug days. We called Deep Woods Off "McMurray cologne". You survive, but you gotta have bug spray. Late fall and early spring are nice before the bugs hatch.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:37 AM   #346
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I worked forestry in BC there were these little black things that were only really satisfied by flying into your ear, though they'd also draw blood wherever they could. And you couldn't kill them just by smacking them, you had to kind of squish then roll them to get through their hard shell. They didn't GAF about big spray. Citronella? that's just seasoning.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:00 AM   #347
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
I didn't know bugs can have such an affect. Are they mosquitoes that are the worst?

Is northern Alberta as bad?
I can't speak for Northern Manitoba, but I've gone deep into the brush in the Philippines and I still have nightmares about those bugs. In a tropical country that was close to 40 degrees during the day and 30 degrees at night, I was dressed head to toe to cover my skin. Not ideal when you're a Canadian tourist who wants to wear shorts and tshirts to beat the heat. I even folded my pants into my socks and slept the same at night. The bugs drove me absolutely crazy nearing the end of my trip, to the point I left my family's free accommodations and was booking expensive hotel rooms on the highest floors just to get away from getting eaten nonstop.

Bugs like that are evil and I could easily see them taking the road to madness when being hounded by them relentlessly.

One thing I do appreciate about Calgary is that we get it pretty easy when it comes to bugs and critters that pick away at us, at least in the city.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 08-08-2019 at 08:04 AM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:27 AM   #348
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
When people are talking about bugs - does mosquito spray or citronella not work?
As long as you don't get cheap bug spray they do help. It also varies how bad they are. Some evenings it's hell while others it's not bad. I do miss being able to walk around the Vancouver area at night with no jacket and not have to worry about about any mosquitos.

Quote:
Are the mosquitos and horseflies just larger and more aggressive?
Their aggression depends on how big the swarm is. If it's small they will mostly just fly around you with the odd one biting you. If it's big they're like piranhas. I've seen some big mosquitos but most aren't any bigger than I've seen in other provinces.

Bulldog flies are a pain in the ass if you get wet and like biting your back for some reason. They terrorized my cousins from Calgary and Victoria one summer at the beach when they came to visit.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:34 AM   #349
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is a bulldog fly a horse fly or different?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:43 AM   #350
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Literally nobody is “living their best life” in Manitoba. Nice try!
My ex-boss from Southern Alberta would disagree. She thinks The Pas is the best place on earth and wants to die here. When she gets holidays she only goes back to visit family for maybe a couple days and then comes back.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:52 AM   #351
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Is a bulldog fly a horse fly or different?
I think it's a species of horsefly. Their heads look bigger than a normal horsefly.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:55 AM   #352
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
My ex-boss from Southern Alberta would disagree. She thinks The Pas is the best place on earth and wants to die here. When she gets holidays she only goes back to visit family for maybe a couple days and then comes back.
I personally would cut off all ties with this dangerous individual. What's next? "Pizza 73 makes the best pizza in the entire world, I want it as my last meal."

Run Inferno. Run!
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2019, 09:05 AM   #353
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Pizza73 is delicious.

I said it.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:19 AM   #354
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I personally would cut off all ties with this dangerous individual. What's next? "Pizza 73 makes the best pizza in the entire world, I want it as my last meal."

Run Inferno. Run!
lol, I think I've seen her maybe once the past year.

I can see why people might like it here if you're an outdoorsy person but acting like it's the best place on earth is a bit much. Clearwater Lake is beautiful and is suppose to be the third largest "true blue" lake in the world but the town itself doesn't have much going for it.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:50 AM   #355
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Pizza73 is delicious.

I said it.
There is something seriously wrong with your taste buds.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2019, 09:57 AM   #356
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Don’t get offended by the shade thrown at northern MB. Urban dwellers only pretend to be against rural living, until they need a “living my best life” instagram captioned post.
I've spent a lot of time in rural Canada, and I grew up on a farm outside of Calgary. I hate rural living.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:59 AM   #357
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Too many hicks.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:21 PM   #358
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

There is a reason a lot of people from Winnipeg either go to Clear Lake or Kenora.

Up north is fascinating in terms of the seclusion and bare ruggedness, but I also don't understand why you would want to live there.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2019, 01:24 PM   #359
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've heard good things about Lake Winnipeg. Have I been duped?
Old 08-08-2019, 01:28 PM   #360
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I've spent a lot of time in rural Canada, and I grew up on a farm outside of Calgary. I hate rural living.
Hate is a strong word.

If you fill your heart with hate there will be no room for love.

Rural or Urban living. There are pluses and minuses to each.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote