Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-20-2020, 03:18 AM   #2461
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Watched it tonight and agreed, best dynamite in a few months really

Some really good matches that weren't spot fests either, the hangman match was also good

Thunder rosa is the best woman they have, even though she's nwa, I hope they can somehow keep her

What they are doing with the bucks is at least interesting now as well

Mox and Darby allin mutual respect thing added to the archer tag team match shows they are forward thinking the little things

MJF delivered another all world promo and the mention about needing a stable is a good tease too
The Bucks are always better as cocky, dip#### heels. Tossing the stack of bills at Tony Khan was perfect, IMO.

Kenny also clearly going into arrogant dickhead mode too. The Elite are all natural heels, tbh.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2020, 09:01 PM   #2462
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Just started watching Raw, the new masks the main 5 of retribution are wearing are dope as all hell.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 11:10 PM   #2463
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Going to put my booking hat on.

Roman destroys Jey at Clash of Champions
Jimmy is due to return any time, so Roman can destroy him too.
Then we see footage of Roman going into the PC, then leaving.
Inside the PC they find Simone laid out.
Roman vs Rock at Wrestlemania
Old 09-22-2020, 08:31 AM   #2464
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I thought Simone just had major knee surgery, I could be wrong on that, but I heard it somewhere.

But yeah, they might be angling for a the Rock versus Reigns showdown.

If I was Reigns I'd be begging for the WWE to allow for blood in this match against Jey.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 03:05 PM   #2465
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I thought Simone just had major knee surgery, I could be wrong on that, but I heard it somewhere.

But yeah, they might be angling for a the Rock versus Reigns showdown.

If I was Reigns I'd be begging for the WWE to allow for blood in this match against Jey.
I hadn't heard that about Simone, but that said, my suggestion would still work since she wouldn't actually need to take a bump, just lay there looking hurt like the massive number of staged backstage injuries we see over the years lol.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:28 AM   #2466
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Joe Laurinaitis, Road Warrior Animal passed away at the age of 60.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wwe...al-passes-away

Just a week or two ago TSN aired "The Dark Side of The Ring" episode about the Road Warriors.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:41 AM   #2467
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

He was the more rational one of the two. But its no surprise, the sheer amount of steroids, recreational drugs and alcohol that these two used was legendary in the business.

Old 09-23-2020, 08:46 AM   #2468
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

That's sad news to wake up to. Glad he could get the Dark Side of the Ring episode out there before he passed. It's certainly not a positive light on the tag team, but their legacy as tag team performers is unmatched.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:40 AM   #2469
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I still remember seeing the Road Warrior when I was really young, when they were still in the AWA, way before the advent of entrance music and flashy pyro. It was also a time when Kayfabe was a big thing.

They were mega heels in the AWA. They'd march out to the ring with Paul Ellering, two huge monsters with a lot less face makeup, but the hair cuts, and the post apocalyptic look, and they'd just brutalize and bloody teams up. There was almost no selling, and their offense looked devastating, and I learned later that it was because they were inexperienced and just beat the crap out of people. And when they spoke it was brutal and simple messaging. None of the "Oh what a rush catchphrases etc."

They continued that when they went to the NWA, they just laid waste to it, wrecked baby faces again Simple and Brutal. They came out to "Iron Man".

I think that by the time they got to the WWE the wear and tear was catching up to them, they weren't as brutal and fearful. They sold more, wore more makeup, and the bigger shoulder pads, and they were more cartoonish. They were more catchphrase in their promo's and though they destroyed one of my favorite teams in Demolition (And lets face facts Darsow and Eadie were arguably far better workers then Animal and Hawks. They never had a big impact and got more and more cartoonish and less and less Road Warriors. Also it was clear that years of abuse had caught up to them. Most of the time you could see that Hawk and Animal were shells of their former selves.

But they were a amazing tag team, they changed the tag team concepts. They were new in terms of how a heel operates, there were no coawardly or sneaky heel tactics. And they were stiff (Which if you watch their work in Japan just simply worked).

Yeah its sad that he passed at a relatively young age of 60, but was it unexpected? Not really, the party and steroids lifestyle of the 80's and 90's really catches up to all.

Old 09-23-2020, 04:43 PM   #2470
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lance Archer has the Rona, so Mox is putting the title up against Kingston tonight. Should be a fun match.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 06:12 PM   #2471
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Joe Laurinaitis, Road Warrior Animal passed away at the age of 60.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wwe...al-passes-away

Just a week or two ago TSN aired "The Dark Side of The Ring" episode about the Road Warriors.
If you have Shaw on Demand, this entire series is still available.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:38 PM   #2472
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

The rock is rumoured to have a match at Wrestlemania? That’d be awesome
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 03:53 PM   #2473
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Miro's first promo was a disaster followed by a horrible first match last night.

Old 09-25-2020, 10:29 AM   #2474
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Miro's first promo was a disaster followed by a horrible first match last night.
Him and Sabian both took some nasty bumps and looks like they might have hurt themselves.

Miro looked rusty as hell, which makes sense because I can't even remember the last time he wrestled.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:35 AM   #2475
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Can't say I'm a fan of this "Best Man" gimmick, at least not yet. Seems to be disjointed and a low attempt at creating a quick hook character.

Personally I think Miro should come in more as his personal self and embrace his gamer reputation. Having a blend of Twitch gamer / pro wrestler would be a great hook for capturing even more of the 18-24 crowd. I am sure there are logistics issues with doing that sort of gimmick but I think it would fly. After all, Hogan turned to the "Hollywood" gimmick after he was in a series of movies (albeit bad ones), and it created one of the best runs of Hogan's career.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 10:53 AM   #2476
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Personally I think Miro should come in more as his personal self and embrace his gamer reputation. Having a blend of Twitch gamer / pro wrestler would be a great hook for capturing even more of the 18-24 crowd. I am sure there are logistics issues with doing that sort of gimmick but I think it would fly. After all, Hogan turned to the "Hollywood" gimmick after he was in a series of movies (albeit bad ones), and it created one of the best runs of Hogan's career.
Thanks. I now want to see a Kenny vs. Miro "gamer feud" just to watch Cornette's head explode, along with the rest of the old school purist crowd.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2020, 11:27 AM   #2477
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I don't know, I go back to a couple of things. Miro complained about the glass ceiling concept in WWE and the fact that they really scripted his promo's and produced his matches.

Maybe he needs that because letting him come out and ramble on bad story line idea aside in his first promo was disastrous and terrible.

And that match was just a badly put together spot fest in the end. And especially in my mind a rusty out of ring shape wrestler probably should be fighting a pretty structured match.

Miro really shouldn't be a spot fest high danger risk wrestler, He's doesn't seem to be that good at improve even in his WWE time, on the stick on in the ring.

But its similar with other WWE guys that have come over. Harper is awful on the mic, and just letting him wing it it a poor decision, and he's not as good of a free worker as he thinks he is.

Even with Jericho, the guy is hella creative, but I watch him over the last few months, and maybe he does need a creative filter to tell him that not all of his ideas are good ideas.

At the end of the day, having an inexperienced head writer and booker and combining it with a just wing your matches and promo's Is probably why things seem so disjointed on the show and at time nonsensical.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2020, 10:24 AM   #2478
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Looks like Nikki Cross won't be available for tonight PPV due to Covid.

Predictions

Raw Women's Championship -- Asuka (c) vs. Zelina Vega (Kickoff Match)
Vega has gone back to being a full time wrestler after leaving Andrade and Angel Garza. She's a pretty talented wrestler, but she's not a championship caliber wrestler.

Winner and still champion: Asuka

SmackDown Tag Team Championship -- Cesaro & Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs. Lucha House Party
It looks like Vince and HHH are really throwing in the towel on tag team wrestling as they've been hinting at tension within the Lucha House Party. Lets just go with that and say that the contenders will explode.
Winner and still champions: Shinsuke and Cesaro

United States Championship -- Bobby Lashley (c) vs. Apollo Crews
The Hurt business is way over right now. They're not heels but they're not faces, but they work. Crews has been ok, and this is a logical title match, but this is s feud that can be extended.
Winner and still champion: Bobby Lashley

Raw Tag Team Championships -- The Street Profits (c) vs. Andrade & Angel Garza
I personally think the Street Profits are struggling a bit as tag team champions, and there has been no real build up for this match. But Andrade and Angel have told a good tension break up story so why not let them run with the belt.
Winners and new tag team champions: Andrade and Angel

Women's Tag Team Championship -- Nia Jax & Shayna Baszler (c) vs. The Riott Squad:
Nia is still just awful and annoying and Shayna carries this team technically and has started coming out of her shell mic work wise. There's no reason to end this reign. I love Liv and she improves every time she hits the ring, but the Riott Squad really doesn't benefit with a tag championship yet.
Winner and still champions Jax and Baszler

SmackDown Women's Championship -- Bayley (c) vs. Nikki Cross
I don't know what's going to happen here, with Cross maybe being out due to Covid, so who would get a title shot? Would it be Bliss, I doubt they'd hot shot Banks in. Maybe its Lacey Evans. Put me in with Bliss comes in and wrecks Bayley as the paramour of the Fiend. But it doesn't matter Bayley is just too good right now.
Winner and still champion: Bayley

Intercontinental Championship -- Jeff Hardy (c) vs. AJ Styles vs. Sami Zayn (Ladder match)
This could be the match of the night. Styles and Hardy have a previous history, so look for Zayn who has been excellent since his return to sneak in and take advantage.
Winner: Sami Zayn

Universal Championship -- Roman Reigns (c) vs. Jey Uso
Look there's no way that Uso wins this thing, the question is how henious is the beat down going to be, and how much offense Uso gets in (Really should be next to none). This is about establishing Reigns as a monster champion following the Lesnar play book. The question isn't who's going to win, the question is who's nexts for Reigns
Winner by DQ: Roman Reigns.

WWE Championship -- Drew McIntyre (c) vs. Randy Orton
This has been a brutal physical feud with both wrestlers receiving real injuries from it. Both have been excellent, however its time for Orton to go over and see if he can carry the title. McIntyre has been ok as champion but to me really hasn't elevated his game to becoming must watch, and he's become to Face and bland.

Winner and new champion: Orton.

Remaining questions

Again if Cross is out, who's in?
Do Retribution under the lead of Bane make their precense felt and do we get more answers about them?

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 09-27-2020 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-27-2020, 03:38 PM   #2479
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I know Jey ain't gonna win, but if he did, I would mark out so damn hard
Old 09-27-2020, 03:55 PM   #2480
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Women's tag title match is apparently off due to Covid too.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote