Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2019, 02:33 PM   #1281
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
All the hand wringing in the months leading up to it was so amusing. Some of the callers on QR were just tripping about how there'll be stoned drivers everywhere, equipment operators swinging wrecking balls around, and the children, wouldn't anyone think of the children?
Gotta admit, that would've been a hella more exciting.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:04 PM   #1282
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Now I can pick and choose like I'm in a liquor store. I know that whiskey makes me do dumb things like try to fight a mailbox, whereas rum is just a nice evening mix. The Sour Tangie that I've discovered at the cannabis shop is my perfect hoot for now. No more questions about whether I'm going to sink into my couch, or whether I'll be too baked to answer an important call that comes later in the evening.

One day I'll probably whine that they keep jacking the sin taxes, but I'm currently happy that at least the federal government did something right, for both themselves and the populace.
But they could have done so much better.

Being forced to buy prepackaged flower is terrible. In Amsterdam, in Seattle you can see and smell the product before buying. The packaging is stupid and wasteful.

Worst of all is that we ended up with these big corporate growers. There's no room in the market place for boutique or small batch growers.

I'd love see cannabis cafés, similar to Amsterdam, where they could offer their own shop grown strains and things like tasting nights. Basically a boutique experience.

I would be willing to pay a premium in that scenario.

Instead we have this keep it all hidden, sell overpriced, dried out prepackaged crap that you can't even see before buying.

I suppose we could get there one day but I'm not optimistic.

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:16 PM   #1283
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsuffering View Post

Being forced to buy prepackaged flower is terrible. In Amsterdam, in Seattle you can see and smell the product before buying. The packaging is stupid and wasteful.

Worst of all is that we ended up with these big corporate growers. There's no room in the market place for boutique or small batch growers.

I'd love see cannabis cafés, similar to Amsterdam, where they could offer their own shop grown strains and things like tasting nights. Basically a boutique experience.

I would be willing to pay a premium in that scenario.

Instead we have this keep it all hidden, sell overpriced, dried out prepackaged crap that you can't even see before buying.

I suppose we could get there one day but I'm not optimistic.

Sent from my MIX using Tapatalk
If the world can support a million different microbreweries, it'll be able to support boutique pot.

There's no capacity to serve the market as it is. As time passes, and more people realise weed isn't PCP, elements of the law will be relaxed, and you'll get smaller operations.

They might even do it sooner if the initial couple years are as positive and bountiful as they're trending.

People bitch about the federal government for good reason - favoring Quebec, inaction on pipelines - but in four years, this government has delivered legal weed and assisted dying.

That's enormous.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:18 PM   #1284
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsuffering View Post

I was happy to see legalization, and was even willing to pay a bit of a premium for the sin tax, but the very first purchase the packaging alone set me off. As a green smokin lefty the last thing I like seeing is all this plastic everywhere to hold a fricking gram of weed. Are you kidding me? Then I decided to try a pre-roll.. a box to fit 30 bic pens, and inside a hard plastic shell for 1 joint.. seriously they might as well go back to letting McDonalds serve everything in styrofoam. Anyways enough of that rant.

I for one am happy to see my MOM back up and running. Better quality, for half the price, packaged in a sensible vacuum bag. I'm sure I will continue to grab something from the storefronts now and then, but until they get the stupid out of the system (and I still believe they can) I am going to avoid as much as I can.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:35 PM   #1285
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

nm

Last edited by chedder; 01-25-2019 at 03:52 PM.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 05:50 PM   #1286
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

I agree with the packaging complaints. It is a total waste to use that much container for what's in it. And even worse is trying to get the last bit out. You basically have to swirl it upside down to get the corners into the lid. Major fail.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:04 PM   #1287
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I’m glad I’m not the odd ball for being disgusted at the way the product is packaged. Anyone aware of some sort of intiative to get this changed?
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:40 AM   #1288
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
I’m glad I’m not the odd ball for being disgusted at the way the product is packaged. Anyone aware of some sort of intiative to get this changed?
I'm pessimistic that this will happen. I suspect lawmakers will keep working on the assumption that the way to dissuade people from using cannabis is obnoxious packaging. If anything, they might add bigger and more colourful warnings, a la cigarette cartons.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:14 PM   #1289
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure packaging will evolve over time and perhaps it will for retail operations but keep in mind one of the current restrictions for packaging is that the cannabis cannot be detected externally when sending by mail. (ie no odor etc. that would alert someone to what was inside). This is according to my sister in law who works at a post office.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:20 PM   #1290
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I'm sure packaging will evolve over time and perhaps it will for retail operations but keep in mind one of the current restrictions for packaging is that the cannabis cannot be detected externally when sending by mail. (ie no odor etc. that would alert someone to what was inside). This is according to my sister in law who works at a post office.
MOMs have been sending cannabis in the post for eons in sealed packs that don't emit any odor, and their packaging isn't anywhere near as wasteful. I'm not suggesting retail operations can be as spartan in their packaging as MOMs, but there's nothing about the current packaging that makes it any more effective at keeping the odors inside.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:47 PM   #1291
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is a good strain from MOM? My first order I got stuff Strawberry Ice and while it's okay it's kind of a little mellow. Wouldn't mind something with a bit more pop or do you have to go to the stores to get the good stuff?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:33 PM   #1292
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
What is a good strain from MOM? My first order I got stuff Strawberry Ice and while it's okay it's kind of a little mellow. Wouldn't mind something with a bit more pop or do you have to go to the stores to get the good stuff?
They all usually have good stuff- Usually if it's described as a "heavy indica" it will do the trick with my MOM- no complaints from me so far...
aaronck is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aaronck For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2019, 01:55 PM   #1293
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
What effects are you looking for? Some are more pronounced than others, but from my perspective as a daily (night time) user, I ALWAYS go for quality first and foremost.

I'm a big, big fan of WELL GROWN Nuken. Smooth and euphoric.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2019, 02:08 PM   #1294
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronck View Post
They all usually have good stuff- Usually if it's described as a "heavy indica" it will do the trick with my MOM- no complaints from me so far...
Death Bubba ftw.

Generally, anything prefixed with Bubba will knock you on your ass.

This reddit thread might give you more ideas.

Looking for the hardest hitting indica?
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to longsuffering For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2019, 02:14 PM   #1295
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

I feel like I see so many marijuana retail stores popping up all over (a lot unopened). I know many of my friends are investing in Cannabis Stocks, and some are even investing in Cannabis start-ups. I feel this has got to be a bubble type industry that many are going to get extremely rich with, but quite a few will also lose their shirts? It just seems too easy... and something that so many are trying to get in on that I feel the bubble has to burst somewhere.

Am I wrong in this thinking?
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 03:56 PM   #1296
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks guys. I will do some research on this as I'm just a recreational user that uses it on some weekends or events, etc. I just felt like the first batch I bought was kind of what I assumed medical marijuana would be like where it gets you high but not really baked.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 04:00 PM   #1297
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks guys. I will do some research on this as I'm just a recreational user that uses it on some weekends or events, etc. I just felt like the first batch I bought was kind of what I assumed medical marijuana would be like where it gets you high but not really baked.
Download the app: Leafly

Look up your purchase options there to get an idea. If nothing else there are some comical reviews.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2019, 04:42 PM   #1298
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post

I asked if I could return my old containers so that they could return them to the distributor for re-use. My question flabbergasted them and they said it was impossible. It doesn't look good.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:11 PM   #1299
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

What websites do you folks use to order from?
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:18 PM   #1300
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I buy wholesale locally and make all my own edibles. It's even cheaper than MOM's, and I know what's in it.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote