Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-14-2016, 07:28 PM   #1161
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

New Power Trip song. If you enjoy thrash and you haven't heard this band, you've been missing out.

http://www.npr.org/2016/11/14/501753...p-firing-squad
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 11:40 PM   #1162
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

So the new Metallica album leaked online a few days ago. It's pretty great? I saw it summed up best as "The whole album sound like modern Metallica playing old Metallica."

Suffers from the same issue as Death Magnetic in regards songs that feel way too long, but overall it's enjoyable.

The last track is really killer:

Last edited by AC; 11-16-2016 at 09:00 PM.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:27 AM   #1163
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

So after having some time to be closely acquainted with the new Opeth and In Flames albums...

meh...

Opeth continues to be moving more and more into Alan Parsons Project territory with every album and Sorceress is no exception. Nothing really standout, and so many "so close" moments that make you want to start liking it that morph into extended noodling.

6/10 as a Prog fan
4/10 as a Metal fan

In Flames does a bit better with Battles. The first half of the disc is really solid IMO even though there are definitely some "mainstream" moments with a bit of a hard rock vibe thrown around. People complain about the kids but I'm a sucker for choral parts so those bits are good IMO. The second half of the disc lags hard and really struggles to keep your attention save Wallflower, and the CDs bonus track Us Against The World is excellent. A few of the solos are really terrible however, completely incongruent with the song they show up in. Better than Siren Charms, about as good overall as Sounds Of A Playground Fading, but definitely 2010s In Flames, a far cry from 90s In Flames but acceptable.

6.5/10 as a whole

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 02:18 AM   #1164
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
So the new Metallica album leaked online a few days ago. It's pretty great? I saw it summed up best as "The whole album sound like modern Metallica playing old Metallica."

Suffers from the same issue as Death Magnetic in regards songs that feel way too long, but overall it's enjoyable.

The last track is really killer:
The official video for it. They did a video for every song off the album.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2016, 12:52 PM   #1165
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
not sure I'd even call them metal, but I've been absolutely crazy about Ghost lately ... what a great band. Meliora really is an outstanding album from front too back, you don't see consistency like that very often. Not too ecstatic about the Popestar EP, except for the brilliant "Square Hammer".
I can't lay claim to being a huge fan but I do agree that they have definitely put out some brilliant singles.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:21 PM   #1166
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm enjoying the new Metallica record, but I also enjoyed Death Magnetic quite a bit as well and think it still holds up as a decent trash record.

One of the things I really like about the reinvigorated Metallica is that they just sound so damn relaxed & confident now. Like they've had the weight of the world lifted from their shoulders and they are able to just step on the gas & go.

No pressure to redefine who they are, or play catch up with a younger breed of heavy bands, just content to put out some solid heavy records and not over think it.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 12:06 PM   #1167
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

The finished version of lords of summer is out now and about 10x better than the demo released a couple years ago

Album is really good...I don't need to compare it to Master of Puppets or Justice, those were lightning in a bottle things that will never be re-created.

Thumbs up to the Lemmy Tribute song/video
Old 11-18-2016, 01:11 PM   #1168
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just too long an album. If there were more (or more interesting) ideas here it wouldn't be so bad, but it gets a little repetitive. And like Death Magnetic there just aren't that many memorable songs (Moth Into Flame and Spit Out The Bone being the exceptions) even if you don't think anything is too awful. Pretty much a 3.5/5 record to me, I don't see it as a big grower.
Old 11-18-2016, 06:34 PM   #1169
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
trash record.
Pretty accurate typo.
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2016, 06:45 PM   #1170
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
not sure I'd even call them metal, but I've been absolutely crazy about Ghost lately ... what a great band. Meliora really is an outstanding album from front too back, you don't see consistency like that very often. Not too ecstatic about the Popestar EP, except for the brilliant "Square Hammer."
Yeah it's ok, considering what they were following up on. For me Bible is the best track on the album.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 06:57 PM   #1171
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

New Testament album The Brotherhood Of The Snake is out and it's pretty damn good.

2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 07:06 PM   #1172
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spit Out the Bone is the best Metallica song since And Justice For All. Can't see myself listening to it much, but it's decent. Rest of the album, from what I've heard, is pretty forgettable.
Old 11-19-2016, 01:42 AM   #1173
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I stumbled across this Karp documentary listening to Radio Boise. They have a metal show on Friday nights:

https://www.facebook.com/KARP-LIVES-108157872546406/

https://radioboise.us/programming/shows/
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 01:55 AM   #1174
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Metal Thread eh? How about that nickel?
Old 11-19-2016, 11:13 AM   #1175
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I can't lay claim to being a huge fan but I do agree that they have definitely put out some brilliant singles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stonedbirds View Post
Yeah it's ok, considering what they were following up on. For me Bible is the best track on the album.
No idea how they managed to elude me for years, I've only just recently discovered them and had the pleasure of getting to know their discography. Haven't even had time and desire to give the Metallica album a good listen because I'm caught up in "Opus Eponymous"
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:31 AM   #1176
nixon45
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
No idea how they managed to elude me for years, I've only just recently discovered them and had the pleasure of getting to know their discography. Haven't even had time and desire to give the Metallica album a good listen because I'm caught up in "Opus Eponymous"
Did you get a chance to go to their show at Mac Hall in October? - Nevermind just saw your location!

Last edited by nixon45; 11-21-2016 at 10:44 AM.
nixon45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 05:23 PM   #1177
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've listened to Hardwired a few times now. I think for the most part it's a good album but as some have stated the songs are a bit too long. They are all around six minutes and while they could get away with that in their early years when they were in their prime, now it feels a bit like they are stretching things with a little too much filler. Still though this is better than St. Anger, Load, Re-Load.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:42 PM   #1178
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

funny that you mention Load/Re-Load (which I actually kinda liked, and yeah, I know I'm in the minority here) because with those I got the same feeling as with Hardwired: could have been a killer album if you made it a single disc and took out the fillers. Too bad that they released two of the best songs (Moth into Flame and Atlas Rise) in advance and couldn't hold that level for longer stretches. Still a solid effort, but yeah, too long.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 02:26 AM   #1179
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
funny that you mention Load/Re-Load (which I actually kinda liked, and yeah, I know I'm in the minority here) because with those I got the same feeling as with Hardwired: could have been a killer album if you made it a single disc and took out the fillers.
I read a recent interview with Hetfield and it sounds like he was against making the Loads separate albums but was outnumbered.

As far as the album the only songs I don't dig are ManUNkind, Am I Savage?, and Murder One. A few didn't hit me on the first listen but I got into the second or third listen. Halo on Fire kind of reminds me of a modern Fade to Black especially in the outro.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:21 AM   #1180
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't understand why they still feel the need to make every song (Hardwired was the only short song and that was made at the last minute for a first release single) over 5 minutes long. I get that most of their past work has been like this but in the digital age where people can bypass complete albums and pick and choose singles I feel quality is more important that quantity and if they trimmed the fat on some of these songs they may sell more singles. Even for long time listeners like me these new songs are harder to get into than they should be because they drag on too long. To be fair this isn't just a Metallica complaint as anytime I see a new album from a band I like I tend to groan a bit when I see a few tracks close to six minutes too long.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 11-30-2016 at 07:24 AM.