Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2016, 10:26 PM   #61
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

nm.

Last edited by djsFlames; 12-16-2016 at 10:53 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:27 PM   #62
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Just liked it, didn't love it. Was bored for the first bit. Wish they would have went with younger actors for older roles. The Princes Leia CGI character was jarring. Trakin was decent, his movements and face was always a bit stoic and robotic.. but Leia was just, odd.

Darth Vader down the hallway was about as bad ass as he's been though. Slow, methodical killing machine, was impressed by that.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2016, 10:34 PM   #63
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Sure, mostly stuff that had no bearing on anything, yet was left in the film. The scene with that slimy monster Guerrera had to figure out what people were hiding (also mentioning that it drives you mad), yet the pilot wasn't hiding anything and after a brief allusion to him having lost his mind, he seems fine about a minute later.
Good point. I suspect they wanted Saw to seem menacing to keep the audience in suspense as to whether he'd gone crazy and would do bad things to our heroine once she met him... I definitely think the first act could have been better put together on the whole.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:39 PM   #64
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
That was the second Death Star in Jedi...
Hah! Whoops! Nice catch!
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:54 PM   #65
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

I absolutely loved it! My 9 year old son did as well. He is really well versed in the Star Wars universe, seen every movie multiple times, every Clone Wars episode, every Rebels episode. I would not worry about taking kids over 7.

I'm so glad I'm not as film critic as many here. I didn't even realize Tarkin was CGI, Leia I did, but either way I thought both were great and necessary. You can't tell the proper story without them. I loved that this literally ended within a space race of Episode 4.

I loved the difference in opinion in the Rebel Alliance. You could see that Mon Montha agreed with Jyn, but was loyal to the decision making. Loved that she wanted to extract while the other general wanted the kill on Gailen. Loved that that Alliance went in guns ablaze after Jyn and crew were in. I think most were scared but once they realized that they were in, they went for it!

I loved the conflict between Krellic and Tarkin, and especially Vader's attitude towards it. I found it shocking that Tarkin was nothing but an opportunistic guy that stole from Krellic. Very Sith-like actually as the more powerful guy taking over from the guy who laid the groundwork.

Basically I liked how they showed the conflict amongst the factions.

I had no problem with the cameos at all. I missed what 3P0 said as my son was saying something to me in shock, LOL.

Several places on the internet had said in one of the trailers they saw a wookie, my son said the same, he was upstairs and swore he saw a wookie. he would not have been on the internet so he definitely came up with that on his own...no wookies that I saw in the movie, an editing cut maybe? (One other editing cut was the one where in the trailer Jyn was face to face with a tie-fighter)

I liked the inclusion of Guerrera, but liked that he wasn't involved in the battle. I knew he would be the first to die when he paraphrased Vader from ROTJ saying there was not much left of him. I think a lot of people who didn't watch Clone Wars will wonder why this guy was in.

I thought they gave enough back story to Jyn, not too much as people have mentioned previously if they gave more, people would be upset that she was never mentioned in any other movie.

I loved that it was dark and more of a war movie. It is Star Wars after all.

I am definitely going to see it in theatre again. I am also extra pumped for episode VIII as I think they will go very dark for that, before they go feel good for IX.

Also, after that turd the Flames just laid (watched on delay after getting home from the movie), I am going to light one up and watch TFA again

Last edited by zukes; 12-16-2016 at 10:58 PM.
zukes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to zukes For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2016, 10:55 PM   #66
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Hah! Whoops! Nice catch!
Maybe a later movie about the Bothan's plight?
Old 12-16-2016, 11:11 PM   #67
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, and one thing that amused me...the "stupid thin bridge out over a long fall for no reason" bridge shows up here, too. Honestly...why the hell would the "Align the dish button console" be way out in the middle of the bridge hanging over...nothing. You'd think it'd be right beside the "download message" button. I mean, they've got the "send" button there. If there was ever a trio of buttons that you'd think would live beside each other, it'd be those three. But nope...not in Star Wars. Gotta have our super thin bridge/catwalk.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2016, 11:18 PM   #68
AlbertaFan
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
The Rebels had no idea the weapon was complete. All they knew was that he was critical to it's development, and they didn't even know what "it" was. Also, Mon Mothma's marching orders weren't to kill him - it was to extract him, the other general was the one who gave the kill on sight order.
Cassian was on the ship after the destruction of Jedha communicating with the Alliance, and the order to kill Galen was repeated. They had full knowledge that the weapon was operational. That general knew a "planet killer" was online. Makes no sense to kill Galen at that point, none.
AlbertaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:33 PM   #69
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Enjoyed the movie quite a bit. I think I still prefer Episode VII overall, but this one was a very solid entry in the franchise. I agree the character development was a little thin, but I felt this story was less about the individual characters and more about the mission itself, which was fine. I especially liked the old-school/lived in feel of the movie, which was similar to The Force Awakens in that it was a perfect mix of practical effects, real sets, and CGI.

The explanation of the Death Star's weakness was clever and tied it nicely to A New Hope. The CGI Tarkin and Leia were a bit odd, but they didn't take out of the movie at all. Overall, a pretty solid action/adventure flick. Vader's entrance was badass, and how cool was it to hear James Earl Jones' voice in that role again.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:43 PM   #70
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Enjoyed the movie quite a bit. I think I still prefer Episode VII overall, but this one was a very solid entry in the franchise. I agree the character development was a little thin, but I felt this story was less about the individual characters and more about the mission itself, which was fine. I especially liked the old-school/lived in feel of the movie, which was similar to The Force Awakens in that it was a perfect mix of practical effects, real sets, and CGI.

The explanation of the Death Star's weakness was clever and tied it nicely to A New Hope. The CGI Tarkin and Leia were a bit odd, but they didn't take out of the movie at all. Overall, a pretty solid action/adventure flick. Vader's entrance was badass, and how cool was it to hear James Earl Jones' voice in that role again.
The response in the theatre was palpable.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:36 AM   #71
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

I just got back and I loved it. The top 3 for me now go R1, ANH, ESB. (In no paticular order) Rogue 1 was better then all the prequels, Force Awakes and even RotJ for me.

Was it a perfect film? Maybe not. But the sum of all it's parts was great. Seeing the Rebels attack the research facility in the rain, the entire ground war, the fantastic space battles, Darth Vader...all of it hit for me, and I had a smile in the theatre ear to ear. It also felt refreshing to not tell a story about Jedis and Sith, but rather Rebels and the Empire.

I see it splitting people, and that is okay. I think we can all agree that as Star Wars fans we are being spoiled (2 great movies in 2 years)
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jbo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2016, 02:12 AM   #72
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

just got home

i really enjoyed it!
Old 12-17-2016, 02:17 AM   #73
Top Shelf
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Absolutely loved the movie, just got home from seeing it in IMAX.

It really was a fan movie and I enjoyed every little detail. All the tie-ins to the other movies...just loved it

I think I liked it better then TFA...

I love Star Wars!
Top Shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:41 AM   #74
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

7/10 for me, good but not great.

The positive was putting in new characters and trying to do something original within the films.
The Negative was exactly that as well as it was hard to care about the characters and have any emotion.
Aside from the Vader scene, there was no moments where I had fanboy goosebumps of excitement and the feeling of wonder from the power of Star Wars. This could have been pretty much any action movie, Star Wars just happened to be the setting.

As a movie, there were lots of things done well. As Star Wars, it didn't capture me heart.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 12:20 PM   #75
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Oh, and one thing that amused me...the "stupid thin bridge out over a long fall for no reason" bridge shows up here, too. Honestly...why the hell would the "Align the dish button console" be way out in the middle of the bridge hanging over...nothing. You'd think it'd be right beside the "download message" button. I mean, they've got the "send" button there. If there was ever a trio of buttons that you'd think would live beside each other, it'd be those three. But nope...not in Star Wars. Gotta have our super thin bridge/catwalk.
The empire doesn't exactly have a health and safety department on its construction projects.

none of the bottomless pit spanning bridges have hand rails and nobody is wearing safety lines. Let alone the poor troopers who are standing in the superlaser firing tunnels.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2016, 01:19 PM   #76
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Chris Stuckmann's review nails it

Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:33 PM   #77
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

People bitching about character CGI need to get over themselves. I'll bet you people going in that didn't know the actors/characters previously wouldn't even realize it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2016, 01:51 PM   #78
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
People bitching about character CGI need to get over themselves. I'll bet you people going in that didn't know the actors/characters previously wouldn't even realize it.
Or people can express their initial thoughts without you whining?

Leia was especially jarring. It didn't ruin the movie for me, but recasting with appropriate aged actors and ability should have been the option.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2016, 02:18 PM   #79
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Haha, then people would complain about the recasting choices. You just can't win. I mentioned it because the guy in the review video was making a deal about it too, when I don't get what the deal is.

I dunno, I accepted it after the first Tarkin scene and chose to enjoy the reappearance of characters we thought we'd never see again, particularly since it wasn't even that bad to begin with. It's interesting to look on imdb at the characters that were used for both and how they have similar facial structures. You can see why they were used.
Old 12-17-2016, 02:28 PM   #80
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh come on. If you can't tell a CGI person from a real person you need your eyes checked. He looked like a character from Uncharted.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post: