Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2017, 09:31 AM   #681
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Went to Ten Foot Henry for the first time a few weeks ago and we left feeling "Meh". Nothing was bad by any means, but nothing was overly impressive either.
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CarlLester For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2017, 09:53 AM   #682
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
It's our go-to "fancy" restaurant. Friday and Saturday is the tasting menu - I would recommend giving it a go. The quality has improved over the last 5 years, it went from 4 to 5 stars.
So we went to Alloy Saturday evening and we took your advice and had the tasting menu. I am sure glad we did. Everything was incredible, my favourite was the Lobster Ravioli. Lobster is something I do not normally enjoy but this was an amazing dish.

I would recommend anybody to go to Alloy and I cant wait to return myself.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deviaant For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2017, 11:10 AM   #683
pritz97
Draft Pick

Apologize for my shameless plug

I mentioned back here in November (one month after we opened) about a restaurant I'm a partner in and thought I would send out an update. Now at least we also have a few months under our belt and have gotten some reviews/feedback on FB & Google. It's First & Vine in Airdrie, inside the oldest house built in 1905. John Gilchrist plans on reviewing us this year sometime (written at the bottom) which will help give us some more exposure to the Calgary market.

http://calgaryherald.com/life/food/j...urants-of-2016

Our Chef Michael Frayne worked at Notable under Mike Noble for 4 years and then was his top chef and ran the Nash for 3. We are planning our patio currently which will be ready once it warms up We have semi private rooms for larger groups or business lunches. Definitely recommend reservations Fri & Sat nights. Takes about 15 minutes to get there once you are on the edge of Calgary. Hope some of you do come check us out and I look forward to reading the feedback.
pritz97 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pritz97 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2017, 02:41 PM   #684
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Another plug for Deane House. Currently my pick for best in Calgary. We couldn't do the tasting menu this time due to our friends dietary restrictions.

However, we did the rock fish (red snapper). Now to be clear I don't order fish at restaurants ever. Except if you are Opakapaka with Mac Nut crust at Lahina Grill. So I took the risk and it was excellent. Very rich and buttery with the most bomb mashed potatoes and these pickled onions that gave a so slight tarter sauce like flavor.

Full marks to Deane House. Nothing is even close IMO in Calgary. Love it.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 02:51 PM   #685
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yet another positive review for Deane House. Went for the first time this past weekend and it exceeded expectations. Tasting menu was spot on, cocktails were great, and the wine list had some good selections. Great experience overall.
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:30 PM   #686
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritz97 View Post
Apologize for my shameless plug

I mentioned back here in November (one month after we opened) about a restaurant I'm a partner in and thought I would send out an update. Now at least we also have a few months under our belt and have gotten some reviews/feedback on FB & Google. It's First & Vine in Airdrie, inside the oldest house built in 1905. John Gilchrist plans on reviewing us this year sometime (written at the bottom) which will help give us some more exposure to the Calgary market.

http://calgaryherald.com/life/food/j...urants-of-2016

Our Chef Michael Frayne worked at Notable under Mike Noble for 4 years and then was his top chef and ran the Nash for 3. We are planning our patio currently which will be ready once it warms up We have semi private rooms for larger groups or business lunches. Definitely recommend reservations Fri & Sat nights. Takes about 15 minutes to get there once you are on the edge of Calgary. Hope some of you do come check us out and I look forward to reading the feedback.

I haven't been yet, but the guys on AD are always raving about you... keep up the good work.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:57 PM   #687
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Yeah took the collective recommendation and went to Deane. As usual cp did not steer me wrong.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:24 PM   #688
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFO View Post
Yet another positive review for Deane House. Went for the first time this past weekend and it exceeded expectations. Tasting menu was spot on, cocktails were great, and the wine list had some good selections. Great experience overall.
If anyone goes try the brut sparkling or the pinot noir from Blue Mountian. Just an exceptional Canadian winery.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2017, 02:30 AM   #689
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
If anyone goes try the brut sparkling or the pinot noir from Blue Mountian. Just an exceptional Canadian winery.
Funny, several years ago on New Years I did a blind tasting. We did the Brut Champagne from Blue Mountain, Vouve Cliqueot, and some other. Our guests unanimously chose the Blue Mountain over they higher priced champagnes. Was quite funny, but in many ways true.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarywinning For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2017, 05:11 PM   #690
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Went to the Longview Steakhouse last night. Was blown away. Steak was probably the best steak I've ever had from a flavour perspective and to my surprise it wasn't a meat and potatoes type of place. Very French and Moroccan style dishes. Would recommend to anyone.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 06:24 PM   #691
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^^ yep, we went to longview steakhouse in leui of a thanksgiving dinner back in october and it was awesome. Great service as well. I mentioned before that it looks like they have some amazing non steak entrees, but just couldnt bring myself to get anything but a steak on the first visit. Maybe the second or third visit Ill try something else. Sort of have it in my mind to go now at least once a year.

Also, wife and I recently went to Bow Valley Ranche for our first night out since our daughter was born. Was fantastic. I know some people have suggested it has gone downhill since new ownership took over, but I thought it was far superior to our Lakehouse experience- which I understand is the former Ranche owners? Anyway, everyone's opinion of a restaurant will be based on their individual experience, but we had a great evening. One of the pricier bills Ive had in my Calgary experiences, but well worth it.

And an interesting thing to add- we went through all kinds of effort to get a sitter for our daughter so we could enjoy a night out, and ironically enough, the couple right next to us brought their newborn along. Their baby was fine and we didnt hear a peep, but I would just never risk the chance that the baby has a fit and ruins our night and the other patrons.. Anyway...
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:43 PM   #692
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Each year when my wife and I go down to Penticton we make sure we hit up Blue Mountain. Quite fond of the Chardonnay from there as well.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:17 AM   #693
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
I like it too. Also in the area, Liquidity, Blasted Church, Painted Rock.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:12 AM   #694
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Abruzzo closed it's doors and are blaming property taxes. It's unfortunate, but I have been there quite a few times over the last couple years and the place has been near empty every time.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3277485/lo...roperty-taxes/
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:13 AM   #695
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coast Flame View Post
Abruzzo closed it's doors and are blaming property taxes. It's unfortunate, but I have been there quite a few times over the last couple years and the place has been near empty every time.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3277485/lo...roperty-taxes/
I work very close to there and they really went downhill the past few years. Went from being a regular there, to never going at all. I heard it had taken over by new management, and that's where it all started to go down hill.

They can blame property tax all they want, but the value preposition went out the window lately in my opinion. Mediocre Italian Food at high end pricing.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:16 AM   #696
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not to mention the place across 4th ave has opened and closed like 4 times in the last 3 years.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:21 AM   #697
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Not to mention the place across 4th ave has opened and closed like 4 times in the last 3 years.
There was a flood there. I don't think it will ever reopen though. That place was empty since it opened (changed name and concept twice). Pretty good food actually, but slow as hell and overpriced. No one is going to pay 25 bucks for burger, fries, and pop in an eatery, let alone if it takes them 30 minutes to get their order.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:30 AM   #698
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Poor location too. Get next to no foot traffic.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 09:25 PM   #699
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Canadas top restaurants as rated by Canada's 100 best mag. The Alberta contingent is below. Pigeonhole rated the best Calgary restaurant.

http://canadas100best.com/canadas-10...2016-regional/

Quote:
Alberta
No. 16: Pigeonhole
No. 18: Model Milk
No. 39: Charbar
No. 51: Bar Bricco
No. 52: Rouge*
No. 59: Charcut*
No. 67: River Café
No. 78: Anju*
No. 81: Corso
No. 82: No.table
No. 84: Rostizado
Old 02-28-2017, 09:35 PM   #700
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
There was a flood there. I don't think it will ever reopen though. That place was empty since it opened (changed name and concept twice). Pretty good food actually, but slow as hell and overpriced. No one is going to pay 25 bucks for burger, fries, and pop in an eatery, let alone if it takes them 30 minutes to get their order.
The first incarnation was about Burgers & Sushi wasn't it?

Abruzzo was a place 20 years ago, but it failed to adapt. Same tired menu, but when quality slipped it wasn't enough to bring people in again. Lots of better options. Rising taxes and minimum wage certain factored in, but the fact that they were "just hanging in there" before them goes to there being more fundamental issues.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fast food sucks , local owned , support small business