Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 12:23 AM   #4101
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Scum bag? For trying to be professional giving privacy to assailant and arresting officers?
Deserves to be fired?
Lol I would love someone to follow you around at work with a recording device and see how long it would take to get you fired for incompetence.
Got babysat, so here's my edit.

This is an embarrassing, uneducated, atrocious & ignorant reply Yoho.
Nothing to do with Privacy, all to do with protecting their blue colleagues, as they cross the line.

Police are held to a higher standard, because of the powers offered to them. Unfortunately, too many abuse those powers, and it's why personal video recording devices are becoming the norm, for police. Think about that.

Last edited by cam_wmh; 07-20-2020 at 09:15 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2020, 01:02 AM   #4102
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
For comparison Vancouver spends around 20% on the police, if you are spending 54% to police a massively more crime ridden hole then your cops are seriously ####e at what they do and maybe a root and branch pruning is required
That tweet is misleading because it's 54% of discretionary expenditures and not the entire budget. When comparing to Vancouver or Calgary PD, the per-capita (city resident) spending is pretty similar. LAPD is $1.857B for about 4M residents, Vancouver PD is $340M for 700K residents. Calgary PD is about $500M for 1.3M residents.
The Following User Says Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2020, 12:52 PM   #4103
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Well one is the gang capital of the world, and one is Vancouver.
That was kind of my point, if your cops were any good you wouldnt be the gang capital of the world
Old 07-20-2020, 01:03 PM   #4104
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That was kind of my point, if your cops were any good you wouldnt be the gang capital of the world
What would you have the cops do? Go back in time 45 years and prevent it from taking hold? Or raze entire neighbourhoods?

Your statement is out of touch with reality.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2020, 01:38 PM   #4105
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I get that you hate the police, but still this is an absolutely ridiculous statement to make. You are expecting the police to be able to abolish hundreds of years worth of disparities and socioeconomic issues? It is the gang capital of the world because you have massive issues that exist within American society and a large population of disenfranchised people with no significant means of being able to better their social situation.

Completely out of touch with reality in your blinding hatred for the police.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mean Mr. Mustard For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2020, 03:02 PM   #4106
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What would you have the cops do? Go back in time 45 years and prevent it from taking hold? Or raze entire neighbourhoods?

Hey...is this really on the table? I mean, it could really solve some deep-rooted issues.

Considering what Cops are doing at the moment is this really that far-fetched?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 07-20-2020, 03:12 PM   #4107
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://www.kmov.com/news/charges-fi...d993f150e.html

Mark and Patti charged.
Old 07-20-2020, 03:23 PM   #4108
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Considering what Cops are doing at the moment is this really that far-fetched?
Not only is this not far-fetched, it's already happened in living memory.

In 1985, the Philadelphia PD dropped a bomb (!!!) from a helicopter on a black neighbourhood while the fire department stood by instead of putting out the flames. Eleven people, five of them children, died in the fire. Sixty-five homes were destroyed in the blaze.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...n-philadelphia

Quote:
Frank Powell, a Philadelphia police officer who in 1985 was chief of the city’s bomb disposal squad, remembers vividly the moment he was given his instructions. “Wow,” he recalls thinking. “You want me to do that?”

On 13 May 1985 Powell was handed an army-style green satchel containing a bomb made of C-4 plastic explosives of the sort widely deployed in Vietnam. He boarded a state police helicopter, and took up his position balanced precariously on the skids of the aircraft.

“I can’t remember being scared,” he told the Guardian, “though I must have been.”

At 5.27pm as the helicopter rose into a crystal-clear blue sky he carried out his orders. Flying over a largely African American residential neighborhood of west Philadelphia, he lined up his sights, lit the 45-second fuse with a military igniter and followed his orders.

“I reached out and I dropped it. Perfect. It was going right where it was supposed to go.”

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2020, 04:00 PM   #4109
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holy S###.

Well...I was joking.

Thats horrifying. How did they do that? In what way is that even the slightest bit legal?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2020, 04:09 PM   #4110
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Philly PD uses "Backpack of Doom"

It's super effective
Old 07-20-2020, 04:14 PM   #4111
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 07-20-2020, 04:26 PM   #4112
FunkMasterFlame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Holy S###.

Well...I was joking.

Thats horrifying. How did they do that? In what way is that even the slightest bit legal?

It was the 80s. Everybody was high on cocaine and Rambo movies.
Old 07-20-2020, 05:20 PM   #4113
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This is the same nation that went on to torch an entire neighbourhood in Panama City while preventing media from filming the scene.
Old 07-20-2020, 05:23 PM   #4114
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Let's think who is likely to be a more effective police force trusted by their citizens who then support the police and make it more difficult for gangs to operate pretty much without any fear of being reported, a police force that cares about all of its citizens, not just the middle class white folks, looks like its citizens, polices by consent rather than seeing itself as an occupying force who's job is to just keep the ghetto quiet and make sure it doesnt over flow into Sima Valley or Orange County.

If you're poor and black in Compton or Watts the LAPD are the enemy and you don't call them, that's why LA became overrun in the first place, if your population doesnt trust you they wont help you.
Old 07-20-2020, 05:24 PM   #4115
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Holy S###.

Well...I was joking.

poor black neighbourhood
Old 07-20-2020, 05:52 PM   #4116
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Not only is this not far-fetched, it's already happened in living memory.

In 1985, the Philadelphia PD dropped a bomb (!!!) from a helicopter on a black neighbourhood while the fire department stood by instead of putting out the flames. Eleven people, five of them children, died in the fire. Sixty-five homes were destroyed in the blaze.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...n-philadelphia

It's crazy that I've never heard of this before.

It's even more crazy because my parents lived in Philadelphia at that time (though I wasn't quite born yet). How has this never come up? How has it not come up in the many conversations I've had with them in aftermath of all this stuff? I mean, I know the answer. But it sucks.

I am really and truly stunned about this. Horrible. And the guy that dropped the bomb; zero remorse. Disgusting.
Old 07-20-2020, 06:55 PM   #4117
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
It's crazy that I've never heard of this before.

It's even more crazy because my parents lived in Philadelphia at that time (though I wasn't quite born yet). How has this never come up? How has it not come up in the many conversations I've had with them in aftermath of all this stuff? I mean, I know the answer. But it sucks.

I am really and truly stunned about this. Horrible. And the guy that dropped the bomb; zero remorse. Disgusting.
Yeah have I somehow missed this? Or was it kept quiet and never really discussed? This is absolutely insane.
Old 07-20-2020, 07:06 PM   #4118
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Let's think who is likely to be a more effective police force trusted by their citizens who then support the police and make it more difficult for gangs to operate pretty much without any fear of being reported, a police force that cares about all of its citizens, not just the middle class white folks, looks like its citizens, polices by consent rather than seeing itself as an occupying force who's job is to just keep the ghetto quiet and make sure it doesnt over flow into Sima Valley or Orange County.

If you're poor and black in Compton or Watts the LAPD are the enemy and you don't call them, that's why LA became overrun in the first place, if your population doesnt trust you they wont help you.
What post was this supposed to respond to? Because it's some good thoughts, it's just not really relevant to what was being said.

The ideal situation doesn't exist there, as a result they're dealing with the situation that does. LA is not Vancouver, that's why they spend more on cops. Case closed.
Old 07-20-2020, 08:44 PM   #4119
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Everything you were saying was good til this. If you’re a good, compassionate and professional police officer, it shouldn’t matter what you look like. Hire the best candidates available period.
Old 07-20-2020, 08:54 PM   #4120
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Everything you were saying was good til this. If you’re a good, compassionate and professional police officer, it shouldn’t matter what you look like. Hire the best candidates available period.

It really does matter though on a large scale. One of the biggest improvements made by the LAPD after the riots in 1992 was going from about 15% Black officers to over 50% black officers. That's a big difference and it showed up in results in terms of community satisfaction and trust of the police. .
Closed Thread