Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-10-2015, 01:59 PM   #1021
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I don't really care as I don't fall in love with brands or companies or the men running them. I just like the products I like and it just happens that I like a lot of the apple products. I have Microsoft products I like and don't have to hate one company to like products from another.
I didn't mean my comment to come off sounding argumentative, I was totally agreeing with you.

Last edited by Russic; 09-10-2015 at 02:01 PM.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 03:18 PM   #1022
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm expecting the Canadian market to take a bath on pricing due to the exchange rate decline. Hoping to get a 6S on launch day to replace my shattered 5.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:22 AM   #1023
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

The 6S 128 GB is $1,159 on the apple canada website
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:15 AM   #1024
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

The margin on storage space is insane. A coworker bought a 256GB micro SD for $9 including shipping.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:24 AM   #1025
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

6S Plus with 128gb is $1,300!!
Old 09-11-2015, 08:06 AM   #1026
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
I'm finding it really interesting that Apple hasn't announced contract pricing for these phones in Canada.

Apple's unlocked prices would put a 16gb at over $300 on a 2 year based on a $600 subsidy, which is actually higher than what was in place a year ago for the iPhone 6 launch.

I can actually see that driving people away from choosing this phone.
Turns out this was very optimistic.

16gb iPhone 6s on a new two year deal is $400. Plus $169 for AppleCare+.

Good luck with that, Apple.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:04 AM   #1027
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can see this pricing affecting their sales, people won't fork over that much for incremental improvements. I'm also disappointed in the color choices, two tacky colors in gold and rose gold leaves two barely different greys to choose from.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:37 PM   #1028
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Interesting answer to the "hey Siri" problem. iOS 9 might train it to learn your voice — http://www.mactrast.com/2015/09/hey-...or-your-voice/
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:59 AM   #1029
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Interesting answer to the "hey Siri" problem. iOS 9 might train it to learn your voice — http://www.mactrast.com/2015/09/hey-...or-your-voice/

Thank goodness. Enough problems trying to make hands-free calls without kids in the back seat trying to engage Siri.

Me: Hey Siri
Siri: how can I help you, the dude.
Kids: you're ugly!
Siri: mumble mumble
Me: Sigh. <waits until Siri will accept next voice command>
Me: Hey Siri.
Siri: Yes, the dude
Kids: text mommy, "poopy head." <hysterical laughter>
Siri: okay. Should I send that?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2015, 01:00 PM   #1030
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
6S Plus with 128gb is $1,300!!
I'm afraid what the iPad Pro is going to cost...
CubicleGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:39 AM   #1031
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

You would think with the lack of innovation in the smart phone industry over the past few years that prices would start dropping much like with LCD TV's. It's pretty obvious that manufacturers (Apple especially) are making a lot of margin on these devices. Also it's annoying the way hardware manufactures steeply mark up memory given how cheap it is in this day and age.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 12:54 PM   #1032
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
You would think with the lack of innovation in the smart phone industry over the past few years that prices would start dropping much like with LCD TV's. It's pretty obvious that manufacturers (Apple especially) are making a lot of margin on these devices. Also it's annoying the way hardware manufactures steeply mark up memory given how cheap it is in this day and age.
They don't all, though. If memory at a fair price is important to you, then you should buy any phone but Apple. I have a 16 gig Galaxy S5. Slapped a 32 gig micro SD card in there for $20ish and I'm good to go.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:18 PM   #1033
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
prices would start dropping much like with LCD TV's.
TV producers also cannibalized their other departments and R&D to reduce prices on LCDs.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:29 PM   #1034
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Besides people keep shelling out for Apple products, so there is no need for the manufacturer to lower prices.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:31 PM   #1035
CKPThunder
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
They don't all, though. If memory at a fair price is important to you, then you should buy any phone but Apple. I have a 16 gig Galaxy S5. Slapped a 32 gig micro SD card in there for $20ish and I'm good to go.
Samsung Galaxy s6 has no external memory card slot and it looks like they charge $110 to move from 32GB to 64GB and another $110 to go from 64GB to 128GB. Looks pretty close to what Apple is doing.
CKPThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 02:37 PM   #1036
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The smartphone industry seems to be immune to broader market trends. Apple dominates the profit, with Samsung being the only other winner to any extent... There's just no competition. Huawei might finally upset the norm in North America next year.

In other news, I was on apple.ca earlier today, still no issue ordering any 6s model for a Sept.25 delivery. Really hoping the greedy pricing keeps people away from this year's upgrade.

Last edited by HotHotHeat; 09-14-2015 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:49 PM   #1037
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKPThunder View Post
Samsung Galaxy s6 has no external memory card slot and it looks like they charge $110 to move from 32GB to 64GB and another $110 to go from 64GB to 128GB. Looks pretty close to what Apple is doing.
It's not close, it's literally the same. There are still device makers who don't gouge for storage, but I don't think that'll last long. Apple and Samsung are making too much money doing it for the rest not to follow suit.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:53 PM   #1038
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
Really hoping the greedy pricing keeps people away from this year's upgrade.
Not looking like it as demand for the S models may surpass last year 6/6+ rollout which is pretty amazing given it's not a 100% new phone;

http://fortune.com/2015/09/15/apple-...ales-analysts/

I don't blame apple as much as I blame the herds of people that have to upgrade their phones every year (I know people that go through up to 2-3 phones per year which is asinine). If these people could at least hold on to a phone for two years the market would stagnate and lower prices would follow but as long as people want a new phone every year it's making it way too easy for companies to keep prices up.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 09-15-2015 at 12:57 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 02:10 PM   #1039
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKPThunder View Post
That doesn't change my point. There are phones with micro SD card slots. If expensive memory bugs you, buy one of those. That's what I do. If everybody else did, all phones would have micro SD slots.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 02:18 PM   #1040
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not looking like it as demand for the S models may surpass last year 6/6+ rollout which is pretty amazing given it's not a 100% new phone;

http://fortune.com/2015/09/15/apple-...ales-analysts/

I don't blame apple as much as I blame the herds of people that have to upgrade their phones every year (I know people that go through up to 2-3 phones per year which is asinine). If these people could at least hold on to a phone for two years the market would stagnate and lower prices would follow but as long as people want a new phone every year it's making it way too easy for companies to keep prices up.
Yea, but this isn't surprising any more. It's all orchestrated to out perform each year. All they have to do is add a new country to the initial roll out date and bang, growth on the all magical 'opening weekend presales'.

Seems like a good time to buy stock, though.