Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-11-2019, 02:02 PM   #81
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Yeah, I really do not understand Nintendo people. It's like they speak a totally different language. What about any of that was exciting? I guess a BOTW sequel is a big announcement given how many people liked that game (as far as I'm concerned it was massively overrated) but other than that, what did they announce that mattered and why does it matter?
Do you even have a switch?
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 02:19 PM   #82
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

No. Am I required to in order to say I don't understand what's appealing about the whole Nintendo gaming ecosystem? I mean, I don't play FPS games or Battle Royale games either because they just aren't my cup of tea, but I understand what makes a good one as opposed to a bad one, and I understand why people get excited about them. I can even extend that to things like Rocket League, which I have no interest in at all. But the level of shrieking joy that the Nintendo people have over what, to me, appears to be just... pablum... I cannot grasp it for the life of me.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 02:36 PM   #83
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

On paper, attainable Porsches are rather pedestrian for their price. I haven't driven one much, only 15 minutes in my life, so I wouldn't try to claim they are overrated. It's kind of similar, you are either into Nintendo games because you played them as a kid and have some visceral attachment, or you aren't. The $100k 80's 911 with 215hp is Dentist pablum to me, for the money I don't get it. This might be a crappy analogy, but both have a somewhat cult following that doesn't add up on paper.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:44 PM   #84
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I get nostalgia, that's for sure, and I'm happy to pay money for it. I don't really understand how that means anything, though, when we're talking about a DLC character being added to a current game like Smash, or why a port of a game that came out on PS4 five or six years ago is cause for celebration. Even new retreads of old IP - are people over the age of twelve excited that there are two new Pokemon games coming out? Animal Crossing is worth getting pumped for?

I'm not sure there's an apt car analogy... I guess it would be kind of like if all Ford put out were automatic transmission V6 ecoboost mustangs, and Mustang aficionados still got all worked up about them.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 06-11-2019, 02:49 PM   #85
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh I don't think too many people are hyped about the DLC stuff, most of the chatter I've seen is people excited about the BOTW sequel. From your post I thought you were implying the new Zelda will be nothing to rave about.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:56 PM   #86
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am way more excited about Link's Awakening than a sequel to BoTW.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 03:26 PM   #87
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Not really liking the Link's Awakening art style, but I'll still play it I'm sure. REALLY looking forward to the BotW game. Love Zelda's short hair, maybe that means she's playable (easier to animate)?

Also looking forward to this, never did finish this on PS3 and I liked it a lot more than the second one.

Old 06-11-2019, 03:59 PM   #88
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Free month for UPLAY+ if you register before September

https://store.ubi.com/ca/uplayplus/
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 04:35 PM   #89
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
It looks pretty bad.

I mean, I'm not sure what you can expect from a remaster of a 1990s game, but yeah. Probably should have just stuck to the PS2 ones. On the other hand, they'll probably never remake that one so this might be the best we get. FF9 might eventually get remade (after FF6, hopefully).
To be blunt, I doubt any other classic FF gets a remake like VII is. Better to spend those resources on XVI instead.

VII is a special case because people have been clamoring for it since Square Enix set themselves up with the PS3 tech demo, and people just wanted VIII on modern platforms. It looks better than the original, but you're right, it's not a game I'd want to play on anything but Switch's 720p handheld screen.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:45 PM   #90
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Nintendo had head and shoulders the best presentation. New gameplay of good looking games actually releasing in 2019, expanding info and gameplay on already announced titles, some cool ports and remakes, awesome Smash DLC that people have been wanting forever, and then the easily the biggest new game reveal of the show.

I guess if you loved CG trailers, developer hype talk, annoying crowds, and vague promises, the other conferences might have been more interesting?
For overall presentation, I'd give the nod to Square Enix. For single game, I agree with chemgear - Cyberpunk 2077 gets the palm d'or.

A lot of the footage of Nintendo's presentation was surprisingly rough. That No More Heroes game just looked awful, and there's going to be questions about Witcher III's frame rate until the game is out. That Contra game looked absolutely dreadful.

That being said, Nintendo's presentation had more games that I want than any other. All three Zelda games, Fire Emblem, Astral Chain, the Mana collection.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:09 PM   #91
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No. Am I required to in order to say I don't understand what's appealing about the whole Nintendo gaming ecosystem? I mean, I don't play FPS games or Battle Royale games either because they just aren't my cup of tea, but I understand what makes a good one as opposed to a bad one, and I understand why people get excited about them. I can even extend that to things like Rocket League, which I have no interest in at all. But the level of shrieking joy that the Nintendo people have over what, to me, appears to be just... pablum... I cannot grasp it for the life of me.
You said Breath of the Wild is severely overrated, but don’t own a Switch or play Nintendo games so have no way of actually knowing. “People like stuff I’m not interested in, I don’t get it” basically sums up all your posts.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 07:22 PM   #92
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, you seem pretty upset. It's frankly equal parts funny and sad when someone takes a difference of opinion about their chosen video game platform so personally. Your post also makes zero sense in light of what you just quoted, by the way - I literally just said that there are many things that I'm not interested in that I understand the appeal of, but this isn't among them. Perhaps before taking up your next Zelda adventure, you should take some time to practice reading.

Incidentally, I have in fact played BOTW, though only for a couple of hours. And that was enough time to determine that... yep, pretty much what Jim Sterling said. It's just... ehhhh. It's not awful, there's nothing to be offended by, just... whatever.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:23 PM   #93
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never been able to get into Nintendo products either
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 07:27 PM   #94
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
To be blunt, I doubt any other classic FF gets a remake like VII is. Better to spend those resources on XVI instead.
Considering that every FF title they've released this generation has been mediocre at best, I disagree. If they do even a passable job on this one they'll be able to basically print money by re-making others. I don't see why that would be a poor use of resources. I'm far more likely to buy a VI or Chrono Trigger remake than I am FFXVI, and I doubt I'm alone.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:57 PM   #95
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did ea provide any sports game updates (nhl, madden, nba)?
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 08:42 PM   #96
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wow, you seem pretty upset. It's frankly equal parts funny and sad when someone takes a difference of opinion about their chosen video game platform so personally. Your post also makes zero sense in light of what you just quoted, by the way - I literally just said that there are many things that I'm not interested in that I understand the appeal of, but this isn't among them. Perhaps before taking up your next Zelda adventure, you should take some time to practice reading.

Incidentally, I have in fact played BOTW, though only for a couple of hours. And that was enough time to determine that... yep, pretty much what Jim Sterling said. It's just... ehhhh. It's not awful, there's nothing to be offended by, just... whatever.
I’m not upset, just pointing out the main argument here is “Nintendo looks kiddie and colourful, why does anyone like this?” — what do you want to hear you don’t already know?

And come on, that’s like saying you watched the first five minutes of The Godfather and decided it was massively overrated. When really you probably just watched a snarky review from the one guy who didn’t like it that much.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:10 PM   #97
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

You're clearly salty, hence you making a whiny post about my disapproval of your chosen pastime without bothering to read what I'd actually said... along those same lines, please quote where I said that Nintendo looks "kiddie and colourful", since you think that's the "main argument here". I'll wait. You know, for that, or for you to admit you just made that up... Either works!

Also, I'm obviously not going to play through a whole game I'm not really enjoying, even if I'd had the opportunity. I don't have enough time to finish the games I like. I did watch the entire GDQ speedrun, though, if that matters at all. It did not make me want to play the game any more.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:41 PM   #98
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

You said Nintendo games are “pablum” and asked “are people over the age of twelve excited (about Pokemon”. Your words. Don’t act so surprised and high and mighty that people defend themselves a bit when you call them babies and children for liking certain type of media because you “just don’t get it”.

Last edited by OutOfTheCube; 06-11-2019 at 10:03 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:54 PM   #99
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

People sure do get salty when I tell them their opinions suck.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:03 PM   #100
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

If Corsi posts in a forest does anyone reply to it?
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote