Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-14-2016, 11:52 AM   #201
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is just to prove that the Falcon Wings work in tight spaces. Obviously no one in any of those 3 vehicles would be able to get out.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:52 AM   #202
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
What about the people in the front seats?
Probably in the same situation as they would be any other vehicle.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:56 AM   #203
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

lol what about when you're in a parkade?

gull wing doors = stupid.

ALWAYS.

100% of the time they're dumb. All they do is create problems. More #### to break too and Tesla's aren't exactly known for their high build quality.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:02 PM   #204
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the record, they are called Falcon Wing, to Gull wing. The difference is the articulation. In a parkade they open lower. There are sensors to see where the space is to open into.

While I'd never buy one, I commend Tesla on experimenting. There have been lots of ideas int he automotive world come and go, and a few stick around. You only know if you try.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:08 PM   #205
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

They need one of those painted in Klingon Bird of Prey Green.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2016, 12:09 PM   #206
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
For the record, they are called Falcon Wing, to Gull wing. The difference is the articulation. In a parkade they open lower. There are sensors to see where the space is to open into.

While I'd never buy one, I commend Tesla on experimenting. There have been lots of ideas int he automotive world come and go, and a few stick around. You only know if you try.

How does that work? If it can't open all the way then cars on the side become an issue. Unless it dips into the cars interior, which just creates issues for cargo and people inside.

It's just a useless gimmick that only complicates matters and creates issues. What if the sensors break? Especially once your warranty goes?

They have been attempted on more than a few cars and it never sticks because it's always a bad idea.
Old 04-14-2016, 12:26 PM   #207
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That's the limitation of those doors, if you're in a tight space with a low ceiling, they won't be able to open. That's where sliding doors are superior, but they unfortunately still remind people of minivans.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2016, 12:46 PM   #208
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
How does that work? If it can't open all the way then cars on the side become an issue. Unless it dips into the cars interior, which just creates issues for cargo and people inside.

It's just a useless gimmick that only complicates matters and creates issues. What if the sensors break? Especially once your warranty goes?

They have been attempted on more than a few cars and it never sticks because it's always a bad idea.
I'm not a huge fan of the doors, but this reasoning is poor. Do you have any idea how many sensors exist in our day to day lives? If something on the car were to break, it's extremely unlikely to be the sensor.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:54 PM   #209
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotHotHeat View Post
I'm not a huge fan of the doors, but this reasoning is poor. Do you have any idea how many sensors exist in our day to day lives? If something on the car were to break, it's extremely unlikely to be the sensor.
yes but we're talking about the door. It's not just going to throw a CEL, it's going to stop you from using half the car and for what? So it looks "hip"?
Old 04-14-2016, 01:11 PM   #210
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

You're right. It's just not worth innovating anymore, too much could go wrong.

In other news, Model 3 reservations are approaching 400,000.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:25 PM   #211
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Different =/= Innovative

There's nothing innovative about it.

What do these doors change? Do they better the experience in anyway? Cause it sounds like there's only drawbacks.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:39 PM   #212
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Different =/= Innovative

There's nothing innovative about it.

What do these doors change? Do they better the experience in anyway? Cause it sounds like there's only drawbacks.

How often, in real life, are the ceilings so low that you wouldn't be able open the falcon doors?

The more likely issue is cars parking so close to you that you have to contort your body and wiggle in or out. This solves that, doesn't it?
Old 04-14-2016, 01:46 PM   #213
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

looks cool, I can see problems down the road though...much more to them than a simple hinge
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:47 PM   #214
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
How often, in real life, are the ceilings so low that you wouldn't be able open the falcon doors?

The more likely issue is cars parking so close to you that you have to contort your body and wiggle in or out. This solves that, doesn't it?
I'd say most parkades? The doors seem to add foot or two to the SUV's height.

It's not that it's a big deal it's just pointless to me and I'm always against making things needlessly complicated as it's just more things that can break. Especially with shoddy reliability car manufacturers like Tesla.

Sliding doors are far better in every aspect.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:03 PM   #215
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

So hatchbacks don't work in parkades? I much prefer my car's hatch over the swing door on my wife's RAV4 that can't be opened when our garage door is shut.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:48 PM   #216
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

A drawing I found online said the Model 3 is 2.36m high with it's door open. Minimum parkade clearance allowed in Calgary is 2.15m.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:49 PM   #217
Maccalus
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I'd say most parkades? The doors seem to add foot or two to the SUV's height.
This post showcases the doors opening in a garage with 88" of clearance, (similar to an average parkade.)

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1462616/
Spoiler!

I am not a huge fan of doors as I think they are needlessly complex, but they do work in the vast majority of situations.
Maccalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 02:53 PM   #218
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
So hatchbacks don't work in parkades? I much prefer my car's hatch over the swing door on my wife's RAV4 that can't be opened when our garage door is shut.
Cause swing doors are dumb when then they're in the back. Slide doors on the side are without a doubt the best.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:11 PM   #219
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
lol what about when you're in a parkade?

gull wing doors = stupid.

ALWAYS.

100% of the time they're dumb. All they do is create problems. More #### to break too and Tesla's aren't exactly known for their high build quality.
They've been selling 'mass produced' vehicles to the public for less than six years, did you expect them to be Toyotas?
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 03:26 PM   #220
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Cause swing doors are dumb when then they're in the back. Slide doors on the side are without a doubt the best.
The falcon wing doors are gimmicky. But it's really not the point - these things are $135K a pop, they're there to appeal to the vanity of the Real Housewife who's driving it.

The falcon wings also helped boost Tesla's public profile and I would guess were responsible for a couple thousand Model 3 pre-orders on their own.

Imagine criticizing the original iPhone for not being able to shoot 4K video. Teslas in their current incarnations are not going to reinvent the automotive industry as we know it. But this first generation of mass market vehicles paves the way for future development and innovation.

In my view, electric technology isn't going to become truly mainstream until another major manufacturer adopts 480V charging. And if I were running Volkswagen Auto Group, I would be SPRINTING to get some sort of deal in place to begin manufacturing of supercharge-capable electric vehicles. It would go a long way to restoring public goodwill in the wake of Dieselgate, and Audi (or any German luxury brand, for that matter) will be able to offer buyers similar intangible benefits (ie wanting to own one) to Tesla.

As I said a few pages back, Chevrolet isn't doing 350,000 pre orders for the Bolt in 3 days. But an A4 eTron with a 400km range and supercharging capability? Different story.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote