Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-13-2017, 03:49 PM   #4601
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Hm, PS4 games are coming to Playstation Now, maybe I'll play Last of Us Remastered and Uncharted 4 on my PC!
Old 03-13-2017, 04:07 PM   #4602
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Which means I can finally play Killzone Shadow fall.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:39 AM   #4603
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I'm interested to see how that pans out and what they make available. Do they still offer it for $100/year? Last I checked there wasn't even a yearly option.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:06 PM   #4604
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Hm, PS4 games are coming to Playstation Now, maybe I'll play Last of Us Remastered and Uncharted 4 on my PC!
They have an app for 2014 and newer Samsung Smart TVs too. So I can either use it on my PC with an Xbox One or DS4 controller, or on my 4K TV with a DS4 controller.

Neat.

Edit: So I went out and grabbed a DS4 controller to try it on my Samsung KS8500, and ... ehh. When using Bluetooth, the controller response time is not good at all. Killzone 3 looked decent but was virtually unplayable for how bad the lag was from the time I pushed the stick to when my crosshair or my character responded. I tried it plugged in with a micro USB cable and this seemed to improve it, but that sort of ruins using it on the TV for me.

On my PC, it was much more responsive (again, wired; my desktop PC doesn't have Bluetooth).

I'm glad they had a 7-day free trial, it has a lot of potential... but I wouldn't pay $19.99 a month for it. Not in its current form.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 03-16-2017 at 11:56 PM.
TorqueDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:04 PM   #4605
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Microsoft will unveil the next Xbox's specs on Thursday

https://www.engadget.com/2017/04/04/...s-on-thursday/

Quote:
It's also killing the power brick in favor of an internal power supply. That's all the new information we have until Microsoft pulls the rug out Thursday morning.
Way to late for Microsoft doesn't mean I wont buy one.
Old 04-04-2017, 07:13 PM   #4606
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That's not really a surprise, given that the power brick was dropped with the release of Xbox One S as well.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:44 PM   #4607
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
Microsoft will unveil the next Xbox's specs on Thursday

https://www.engadget.com/2017/04/04/...s-on-thursday/

Way to late for Microsoft doesn't mean I wont buy one.
Really hope the concentrate on the games, and not just hardware. I love my xbox one. Still the best controller, but it collects dust next to my PS4. Games like Horizon, Nioh, Persona 5, Uncharted 4 Etc.

No real compelling games on Xbox keeping me from pulling me away from that (or Zelda on Switch)
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:40 PM   #4608
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
Really hope the concentrate on the games, and not just hardware. I love my xbox one. Still the best controller, but it collects dust next to my PS4. Games like Horizon, Nioh, Persona 5, Uncharted 4 Etc.

No real compelling games on Xbox keeping me from pulling me away from that (or Zelda on Switch)
I also prefer the XB1 controller but mainly play my PS4. It makes me sad when I see that great controller sitting there so infrequently used. Dualshock 4's a fine piece of kit too, but it's still a half-tier below or so for me. It's still riddled with some of the DNA of its abhorrent forefather controllers.

But yeah, hopefully Microsoft can tee up some solid titles for the Scorpio.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:08 AM   #4609
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post

I'm probably three years behind on games so excluvies don't mean much to me at the moment.two exclusives I own I haven't even started yet sunset overdrive and project spark and I still haven't bought and played quantum break.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:33 AM   #4610
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I only own two games for my Xbox One. Gears 4 and Dead Rising 3. I did have Sunset Overdrive which I got for free when I bought my Xbox One but I traded it in a few weeks ago. I liked it but it wasn't a game I wanted in my collection and had I not got it for free I probably would have never bothered getting it since I'm not into stylized games.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:16 AM   #4611
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

I cannot believe they even announced it so long ago. I cannot recall the last tech announcement where it was basically the better part of 2 years out. Even this tech spec announcement is so far out from their actual holiday season release.

The specs better be massive like they've claimed and hopefully cheap as dirt given how much time they've had.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:14 AM   #4612
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cow Disease View Post
I also prefer the XB1 controller but mainly play my PS4. It makes me sad when I see that great controller sitting there so infrequently used. Dualshock 4's a fine piece of kit too, but it's still a half-tier below or so for me. It's still riddled with some of the DNA of its abhorrent forefather controllers.

I actually prefer the DS4 over the XB1 controller. Most 3rd/1st person games use both sticks heavily for movement and aiming, and it feels more natural for me to have both thumbs at the same level. I like the sticks themselves better as well, and the PS d-pad has always been far superior to Xbox for games that use it
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:29 AM   #4613
TjRhythmic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cow Disease View Post

Same. Hopefully these pro controllers will come to NA soon as I am really thinking about getting this one

TjRhythmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:56 AM   #4614
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I actually prefer the DS4 over the XB1 controller. Most 3rd/1st person games use both sticks heavily for movement and aiming, and it feels more natural for me to have both thumbs at the same level. I like the sticks themselves better as well, and the PS d-pad has always been far superior to Xbox for games that use it
When I play Xbox and then switch back to PS4 to play hockey it takes a good 30 min before I can do a slap shot properly again, it drives me crazy I always end up moving the right stick at an angle because of the xbox layout. That said I love both layouts equally but prefer the xbox controller.
Raekwon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:25 AM   #4615
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still can't say the Xbox One controller is better than the DS4 specifically because the joysticks on the DS4 are far superior (perhaps not the placement, but the sticks themselves). They're far more accurate and offer significantly more "play" whereas the Xbox One controller suffers from remarkably large deadzones (which yes - can be customized on the pro controller, which is rad - but takes a fair bit of tinkering).
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:31 AM   #4616
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Some of these 'elite' controllers look cool but are we really at the point where people are paying 50% of the consoles price for a controller?
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:56 AM   #4617
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

I like the feel of the Xbox stick but prefer the size and play of the PS4. I use the stick grips on my PS4 to make them feel like Xbox.
Raekwon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:59 PM   #4618
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
Some of these 'elite' controllers look cool but are we really at the point where people are paying 50% of the consoles price for a controller?
It is worth the money if you do a lot of FPS as the analog sticks are more accurate and it's probably the most solid, well build controller that's even been made. The Nintendo Switch Pro controller is $80 and it's basically an Xbox 360 controller knock off.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:37 PM   #4619
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It is worth the money if you do a lot of FPS as the analog sticks are more accurate and it's probably the most solid, well build controller that's even been made. The Nintendo Switch Pro controller is $80 and it's basically an Xbox 360 controller knock off.
We used to just mod the basic controller with auto-fire and a couple other things. Makes sense though if your a hard core FPS fan just for the stick response if it is different.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:56 PM   #4620
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

I could never give up my Xbox one controller such an improvement over the 360 controller.Only thing I like about the PS controller is the the way the batteries are inside the controller.