Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2018, 11:35 AM   #61
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

As for the deal...pretty good for both teams.

Nash will fit like glove in Boston IMO...and a perfect playoff type guy with the way they like to play.

See what TB does as an answer.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:12 PM   #62
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Not exactly sure what you’re insinuating here. But the NHL will be going to the Olympics in 2022. Both the NHL and NHLPA want to go for various reasons.

That’s a long way from a sure thing.

Spooner will be playing overseas by then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:24 PM   #63
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
That’s a long way from a sure thing.

Spooner will be playing overseas by then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Well, I definitely think you’re wrong on all accounts. The NHL wants to go, the NHLPA wants to go and the Olympics want them to go. NBC’s ratings were also disastrous for men’s hockey, so in terms of incentive, basically everyone is interested in having NHL players at the Olympics.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:29 PM   #64
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Except Spooner is putting a better ppg pace than his last 2 seasons, so I think the declining talk is premature. As for injury problems, he’s had some this season, but had 2 full seasons the years prior. His career average is also 8.3%, not 7%. You’re selling this guy short a lot here just because you’re not a fan of his advanced stats.

Last couple games I saw him play, he has some decent skills and there could be some untapped potential here. If we were to acquire him, he’d probably be a winger anyway as Jankowski’s size up the middle is too important to shift away from.
His career average jumped to 8.3 with his 12.9 for this year ~ that's why I said 'going into the year' he wasn't at 8.3 he was probably closer to 7%.

And sure he's scoring at a higher clip than his previous year but he's been in and out of the line-up and when he is in he has 15 % (77%) more offensive zone starts than his career average of 62 %. They have sheltered him more this year than any other year and looking at the guy I just don't see the fit. Lefty shot, undersized 5'10/185 from, needs to be coddled to produce, not defensively reliable. Just a big pass on my part ~ especially if he costs any type of legitimate futures of ours.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:32 PM   #65
Spinach
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post

Teams trading for rentals is stupid and I hope the Leafs don't do it.
u.
Ahem.
https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=167336
Or is Plekanec the guy who'll put the leafs over the top?
Spinach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:36 PM   #66
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huge payment by Boston. If they don't win it all, they will look back at this one as a mistake.

Also, not a huge Nash fan - will be interesting how he meshes with that room.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:42 PM   #67
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is Nash not an upcoming Ufa? Without re-signing him it will go down as a major over payment imo. If he is extended then the value is fair.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:53 PM   #68
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

People like to bandy around the notion that Rick Nash is washed up or is a playoff floater. I don't get it. He's still got it. He's big, and really versatile -- can put him on the top line, top PP, bottom line, PK. This makes the Bruins a lot better for this playoff run. They are so good this year, it makes sense to go for it all this season.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:37 PM   #69
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
His career average jumped to 8.3 with his 12.9 for this year ~ that's why I said 'going into the year' he wasn't at 8.3 he was probably closer to 7%.

And sure he's scoring at a higher clip than his previous year but he's been in and out of the line-up and when he is in he has 15 % (77%) more offensive zone starts than his career average of 62 %. They have sheltered him more this year than any other year and looking at the guy I just don't see the fit. Lefty shot, undersized 5'10/185 from, needs to be coddled to produce, not defensively reliable. Just a big pass on my part ~ especially if he costs any type of legitimate futures of ours.
Fair enough, you’re certainly entitled to your own opinion. But a team like us who relies on winning a lot of close games, I think it would be nice to have some additional skilled forwards even if he’s sheltered. Heck, we shelter the 3rd line and they produce nothing like he does. If the Rangers are indeed looking to sell and he comes cheap, I’d welcome the move.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 01:48 PM   #70
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

With how the main core of Boston is mostly over 30, the time to go for it is now.

The other competitors in their division (Tampa/Toronto) have longer lasting windows so best to get their shot in while they can.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:31 PM   #71
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly06Cup View Post
People like to bandy around the notion that Rick Nash is washed up or is a playoff floater. I don't get it. He's still got it. He's big, and really versatile -- can put him on the top line, top PP, bottom line, PK. This makes the Bruins a lot better for this playoff run. They are so good this year, it makes sense to go for it all this season.
I thought the same, but his heart isn't there in the playoffs, let alone the regular season games. The guy's got the full package of a franchise player - big, very skillful, soft hands - but when I saw him play in the series with the Rangers in that tough battle a few years ago and he didn't step up or couldn't step up, my thoughts are that this guy will never win a Cup with a team. I made a prediction with the Canucks as well with the Sedins, that if they can't find a way to escape the hits from the Bruins, they will never see a chance at the finals again and will never win the Cup. My assessment is pretty dead on - and these are easy assessments to make. It's too bad because I don't think Nash is at all washed up, but if he gives 100% he should be able to the Rocket Richard winner every year.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:26 PM   #72
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
Ahem.
https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=167336
Or is Plekanec the guy who'll put the leafs over the top?
Not crazy about it but at least it fills a hole. It's basically a low 2nd for Plekanac. Rychel and Valiev are both RFAs next year. Rychel is not waiver eligible so there was no way the Leafs were signing him. I guess they weren't planning on signing Valiev either. Both are low tier prospects.

Also this season Nash has 18 goals 10 assists.

Spooner has 9 goals and 16 assists in 21 less games played.

Spooner has 2 assists tonight and is looking good.

If they didn't include Spooner it would have been a great trade.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:24 PM   #73
delayedreflex
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
I thought the same, but his heart isn't there in the playoffs, let alone the regular season games. The guy's got the full package of a franchise player - big, very skillful, soft hands - but when I saw him play in the series with the Rangers in that tough battle a few years ago and he didn't step up or couldn't step up, my thoughts are that this guy will never win a Cup with a team. I made a prediction with the Canucks as well with the Sedins, that if they can't find a way to escape the hits from the Bruins, they will never see a chance at the finals again and will never win the Cup. My assessment is pretty dead on - and these are easy assessments to make. It's too bad because I don't think Nash is at all washed up, but if he gives 100% he should be able to the Rocket Richard winner every year.

He'll never win a cup with a team? Nash is not expected to carry Boston on his back to the cup, he's just a complementary piece here - I see no reason why he wouldn't be able to win a cup as part of a contender, which Boston indisputably is this year. Do you think one player not playing up to their potential is enough to sink a team?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
delayedreflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:01 PM   #74
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Rick Nash's even strength scoring rate for the past two seasons is the same as John Tavares's and Phil Kessel's. His 5v5 goals per 60 minutes of ice time is slightly ahead of Alex Ovechkin. He's not a primary threat anymore but he clearly makes your second line more dangerous, in terms of pure goal scoring. If you look at his entire Rangers tenure, here's where he ranks in even strength scoring rate.

He's clearly declined since 2012, so he's not THAT good anymore, but he's still a threat. This may not be earth-shaking but it also isn't a small tweak for the Bruins, in my view.

For the past three games Komarov has seen minutes with Matthews and Nylander. Even when it's Hyman, that's not good enough. You may not like rentals, but if you can spend Josh Leivo and a 2nd round pick and make your team deeper and more injury proof for a playoff run while adding experience to the room, you do it. If the price doesn't make sense you don't, but looking at what's available, there are plenty of left wings you could add this year that make the Leafs a much better team for this run and don't cost them a roster player.

There are also LW options available for a higher price that could be a part of your team going forward, like Hoffman, Tatar, Skinner or Galchenyuk.

Unless you just don't think you can beat the Bruins and Lightning, which, fine, they're both going to be favoured in any series against Toronto, but that seems like a defeatist attitude for a pretty good team. And that doesn't even scratch the surface of what they could do if they wanted to acquire a top 4 D.
No doubt Nash WAS good. But now in 2018 he isn't much better than Spooner.

I think Komarov played with the top line a few games ago when Hyman went into the boards hard and left the game. Other than that it's always Hyman.

Also not sure why you keep saying the Leafs need a LW.

You are talking like the Leafs have no one at LW. You know they have Marleau and JVR on the second and third lines right? If they wanted to they could move one of them up but Babcock likes to balance the lines.

AND Hyman has 32 points this season. So although not your typical first liner he is putting up points at .5 per game which is great considering all the other stuff he does.

Leafs for sure need a Top 4D but I'd rather wait until the offseason. No rush with this team. The core is still very young.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:03 PM   #75
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's pretty simple...win the cup it's a good deal. Otherwise it's a bad trade for Boston