Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What should the Flames do at the trade deadline?
Buy? 122 28.77%
Sell? 84 19.81%
Hold? 218 51.42%
Voters: 424. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2018, 01:34 PM   #41
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
I'm not questioning your opinion on going all in.

But paying that price to upgrade RW (biggest area of need) with a player the wrong hand / position is what seemed odd.

We're extremely deep at left wing and have a plethora of left handed shots.

If we were to pay an exorbitant price (people can debate the pros and cons of that) I don't see it being wise to do so unless it's the actual fit we need.
I don't think handedness really matters that much for shooting wingers. I watched every single goal that Hoffman scored for the last two years and almost 60%+ of his goals come from him shooting from the middle and right side of the ice. Handedness on the wing is more handy in the defensive zone (easier to receive the puck on your forehand)
We are also severely lacking a RW one time option on our PP in which a RS player wouldn't really help with that.
yourbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:36 PM   #42
Poison
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
Well managed teams use the trade deadline to sell high on players they no longer want and otherwise hard to move. Rentals are expensive and should only be acquired for a true cup run. Players that could be moved include Brouwer frolik stajan and younger guys the team is moving on from Gilles?no rental this year
Did you honestly just group Frolik in with Brouwer and Stajan?
You fine sir, are a tool.
Poison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:38 PM   #43
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
I have no problem if they do nothing at the deadline BUT I'd like Treliving to try and grab a top 6 RW if he finds a deal that makes sense. I think Bartkowski and Anderson can slot in on D for a game here or a game there during a playoff run. I don't think we have a player that really slots in well at RW and I think Treliving could get one for prospects or prospects and a roster player. I suppose it may depend on how they see Versteeg fitting back into the lineup.
You have got to be kidding me.

Are you really okay with giving 'tank commander Bart' another chance to make at least 1 horrific brain fart of a play per game and potentially cost the team a good result as well as generally stink it up on the ice?

It is clear as day by this point. The tank commander is not NHL calibre at all. He is a massive liability who shouldn't see another NHL game under any circumstance.

I'd rather have Dalton Prout as the 7th D-man at this point.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:40 PM   #44
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbestfriend View Post
I don't think handedness really matters that much for shooting wingers. I watched every single goal that Hoffman scored for the last two years and almost 60%+ of his goals come from him shooting from the middle and right side of the ice. Handedness on the wing is more handy in the defensive zone (easier to receive the puck on your forehand)
We are also severely lacking a RW one time option on our PP in which a RS player wouldn't really help with that.
I just don't agree that someone can say our biggest need is RW and that we should sell the farm (mid season) for someone who's exclusively played left wing. It's not a good gamble at all in my opinion and I think in that context it matters very much.

If we can add a left handed shooter for a moderate price? Sure. But all in / break the bank to slot a LW at RW I'm not getting. At the premium cost, you wait for the proper fit.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:42 PM   #45
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
Well managed teams use the trade deadline to sell high on players they no longer want and otherwise hard to move. Rentals are expensive and should only be acquired for a true cup run. Players that could be moved include Brouwer frolik stajan and younger guys the team is moving on from Gilles?no rental this year
No one is going to pay for Brouwer or Stajan and Brouwer has veto power at this point.

Also, why would we look to move Frolik with how thin we are on RW? That would be a terrible idea while fighting for the playoffs.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2018, 01:44 PM   #46
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:

Stone + Hathaway + Poirier/Klimchuk to NYR for Grabner
Brodie + Lazar + Gillies + 3rd to Arizona for OEL

OEL eats up Brodies minutes
Bump up Kulaks minutes from 11 mins/pg to 16 mins/pg (Stones average)
Bring up Andersson and he could play 11 mins/pg

Johnny - Mony - Ferly
Grabner - Backs - Frols
Benny - Janko - Chucky
Lomberg/Steeger - Staj - Hrivik/Brouw

Gio - Dougie
OEL - Hamonic
Kulak - Andersson
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to genetic_phreek For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2018, 02:00 PM   #47
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post
Stone + Hathaway + Poirier/Klimchuk to NYR for Grabner
Brodie + Lazar + Gillies + 3rd to Arizona for OEL

OEL eats up Brodies minutes
Bump up Kulaks minutes from 11 mins/pg to 16 mins/pg (Stones average)
Bring up Andersson and he could play 11 mins/pg

Johnny - Mony - Ferly
Grabner - Backs - Frols
Benny - Janko - Chucky
Lomberg/Steeger - Staj - Hrivik/Brouw

Gio - Dougie
OEL - Hamonic
Kulak - Andersson
Brodie has been bad this year but Larsson is horribly bad defensively
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:04 PM   #48
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

The team isn't a contender yet. Stay the course. An additional player here or there isn't going to swing the tide in our favor. We have a long ways to go before were a perennial contender like the Preds or TBL. We're not yet at the sprint stage.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2018, 02:04 PM   #49
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
No one is going to pay for Brouwer or Stajan and Brouwer has veto power at this point.

Also, why would we look to move Frolik with how thin we are on RW? That would be a terrible idea while fighting for the playoffs.
You are missing the point of the trade deadline. It is exactly the time when you get someone to pay for something they would otherwise not consider.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:05 PM   #50
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poison View Post
Did you honestly just group Frolik in with Brouwer and Stajan?
You fine sir, are a tool.
No one is a tool for suggesting that. don't be an idiot.

And i think your avatar should be banned.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:08 PM   #51
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

3rd line RW upgrade and depth defenseman.

What will probably happen? Nothing.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:09 PM   #52
YourMother
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I just don't agree that someone can say our biggest need is RW and that we should sell the farm (mid season) for someone who's exclusively played left wing. It's not a good gamble at all in my opinion and I think in that context it matters very much.

If we can add a left handed shooter for a moderate price? Sure. But all in / break the bank to slot a LW at RW I'm not getting. At the premium cost, you wait for the proper fit.
You know what? This is entirely my bad. I for some reason assumed Hoffman was a RW. Based on the large group of people that are talking about wanting him I figured he must be. Usually I know my stuff and this one I was completely ignorant about. Thanks for setting me straight. Which available RWs do you think would be worth selling futures for to fix our right side/pp?
YourMother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:09 PM   #53
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
And if not...he must be traded, regardless of playoff aspirations/position.

He simple cannot walk for nothing July 1. That would set this club back more than losing him in a trade.
No.

There is no realistic scenario that sees the Flames trading Backlund while jockeying for a playoff spot this season. Backlund cannot be moved until there is a viable replacement option on hand, and Jankowski does not look quite ready for that yet.

But this is fairly moot. I expect Backlund will be re-signed before the start of UFA this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:10 PM   #54
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Why? I think it's clear that the Flames have moved past that point.
It's clear? We are 50/50 to make the playoffs. And if we do, what are the odds of making the second round - 50/50?

I do agree that there is a good core with a decent window in the next 4-5 years, but draft picks are the life-blood for franchises in the salary cap world with 31 teams.

I want to keep an eye on both horizons.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:12 PM   #55
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Andrew Mangiapane & Adam Fox for Jordan Eberle.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to David Struch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2018, 02:14 PM   #56
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Stand pat unless a smokin deal comes up (or Backlund can't get signed) Use a couple of our D prospects at the draft to get Chuckys brother
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:17 PM   #57
LIP MAN
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
This makes sense. If they don't see Wotherspoon as being the guy capable of stepping up during a playoff run, then yeah - I wonder if they look at a veteran. Johnny Oduya?
Makes sense. He's also a mentor for Kylington so that seems like a logical choice.
LIP MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:17 PM   #58
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hold and pray Versteeg's return improves the PP. I really think they're in decent shape aside from the PP at the moment.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:18 PM   #59
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
It's clear? We are 50/50 to make the playoffs. And if we do, what are the odds of making the second round - 50/50?

I do agree that there is a good core with a decent window in the next 4-5 years, but draft picks are the life-blood for franchises in the salary cap world with 31 teams.

I want to keep an eye on both horizons.
Given that the Flames have a good number of core players that are all still young, I think this buys time before they need to worry about recouping draft picks. Realistically a first round draft pick will not be in a position to make an NHL impact for another three seasons, by which time the Flames should still be right within their window.

This is honestly not a bad time for the franchise to be low on futures, considering the number they have successfully graduated in the past four years, and with a few more who look ready to make the jump soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:19 PM   #60
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

No need for depth forwards. Why pay for a Vanek type when we have Versteeg or possibly Jagr we can bring in for free. Heck sign Iggy before wasting a pick on Vanek or Vrbata (don’t sign Iggy). I think with the vets we have and guys like Foo, Mangiapane etc we have enough depth. Same for the blueline Andersson, Kylington, Wotherspoon, Prout should be enough to get us through. Sign Fox and bring him in if needed or call up Valimaki after Tri Cities is eliminated.

Don’t spend late picks on guys that won’t move the needle.

The Flames should try and upgrade on the wing in a meaningful way. Domi would be a nice reclamation project and if we give up young assets at least we are getting a young one back. Hoffman is also attractive since he has decent term left on his deal. Stay away from Pacioretty due to the price/contract/age situation. I say stay away from Evander Kane unless the price falls dramatically but even if t does we do not have the 2nd to bring him in.

Have Backlund signed to a contract or trade him. I do believe he will be signed but this is not an asset we can lose for nothing.

If Backlund is signed and the Flames do nothing I am okay. The fan in me wants a top 6 forward in a trade for prospects. I think they need to see this top 4 in the playoffs before selling one off
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trade deadline