Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2018, 09:06 AM   #1581
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
awesome result. Sorry Locke!
Sorry? You're not sorry!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2018, 09:07 AM   #1582
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Four minutes added time. No stoppages.
Six and a half played.
And zero accountability or explanation will be given.

There is NEVER any sort of relationship between time added on in proportion to that and the rest of the game. Why didn't he play an added twenty five minutes at the end of each half?

And lol at the Alli defending. United should have had at least 40 penalties today for "contact" in the box.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:15 AM   #1583
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
The one that gets me lately is on corner kicks where they want the ball off the chalk-mark. I dont get that, is that half-inch difference really going to make or break your corner kick?
Or where they're not clever enough to keep up with the game.

Old 02-25-2018, 09:33 AM   #1584
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is the League Cup not being shown anywhere?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:51 AM   #1585
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was embarrassing from Mustafi. Bravo gets the assist.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:56 AM   #1586
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Is the League Cup not being shown anywhere?
it's on dazn sadly.
cSpooge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cSpooge For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2018, 10:19 AM   #1587
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

At least unlike Sunday Ticket this match has streamed perfectly. Difference in the match really has been Mustafi was shocking on the one City chance and Kompany was textbook on the big Arsenal chance. Arsenal have been the better side, but their defense can't be trusted to not concede again so we'll see.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:01 AM   #1588
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't be the only one who hates it when they show the crying kid when a team loses a chance at a title. Besides we're gonna have an amazing AFTV tonight so it's better to see grown men like that instead.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:31 AM   #1589
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well...that was a tight game.

Ugh...both sides of Manchester are happy today....makes me sick.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 02-25-2018, 11:46 AM   #1590
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I can't be the only one who hates it when they show the crying kid when a team loses a chance at a title.
It's to shame the team.
Quote:
"Ramsey. Xhaka. Ozil. You're walking on a football pitch at Wembley. Why are you walking? You're a disgrace. An absolute disgrace."

“I don’t even want to talk about them because they’ve been an absolute disgrace. Ramsey and Xhaka walking on a football pitch. Absolutely spineless.”

"And look at that - that's what you cause!" Neville added as television cameras showed a tearful young Arsenal fan in the crowd.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/...tears-arsenal/

Later called Ramsay one of the walkers also.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:46 PM   #1591
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Arsenal had zero intensity

I'm shocked

That was a final

Wenger can not get them motivated
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:32 AM   #1592
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Premier League is happy in principle with a plan to allow for a two-week winter break beginning in 2020, Sky Sports News understands.

The proposals mean there will be no weekend without Premier League football - but the fixtures will be staggered so that there are five Premier League games on one weekend, and five on the next. That would allow for all 20 Premier League teams to have a free weekend, and in effect a 13-day break between matches.

The decision now rests with the Football Association which, if these proposals go forward, has to make the historic call to move all FA Cup fifth round matches to a mid-week, with no replays.
http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...ter-break-plan
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:48 AM   #1593
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess that sounds alright.Really though, I wish they could just get away from the random Wednesdays and things like that and just stick to playing on weekends. I realise that will never happen because they love that added game day viewership, but it would do a lot to ease congestion. (I mean aside from the holidays)
Old 02-27-2018, 07:08 AM   #1594
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I think people have to understand that this is going to be a process. It's not going to be perfect from day 1, there's going to be growing pains along the way and yes, there's also going to be mistakes, discussions and anger. But at the end of the day, it's still a tool that's going to help make the game a bit fairer. Again, the start in Germany has been rocky, but still the results were there: in 153 games in the fall VAR turned over 48 decisions, and in 37 of those instances it was the right call to do so. Yeah, those 11 mistakes suck and that number will have to come down for sure, but in year 1 I'll take a 37-to-11 ratio.
That is actually quite bad and probably in range of human error. One of the things I really like about football matches is the they are completed in an hour and a half(1:45 including halftime) as opposed to the 3 to 4 hour marathons in NA sports. The continuous flow of the game is part of its intrinsic appeal and if they start introducing all these delays it will ruin the game.

Unless its transparent from a viewers perspective and nearly 100% accurate I don't like these "improvements". Right now its like a beta software process that is in early production, this should be tested in minor leagues until its ready for full production. I do agree with the goal cameras though as these do not delay the game and are 100 percent effective.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 02-27-2018 at 07:18 AM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamenspiel For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2018, 07:41 AM   #1595
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do think rugby has it right though where the ref is wearing a mic and you can hear the VAR official as well. I don't want VAR, but at least make it transparent and open if it has to be there.

I totally agree about the marathons we see in North America though.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:28 AM   #1596
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Selfishly, I love that they dont have a Winter Break, when I'm on holidays I like being able to watch soccer.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:06 PM   #1597
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like that plan, games still on but the teams get a break

I still think they should just do like 3 rounds of the FA cup over that period, a bunch of teams would get a break, teams are more likely to use their depth during those games anyway that are playing
Old 02-27-2018, 12:15 PM   #1598
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the plan too, it seems like a good compromise to still have some games and give teams a break at the same time. Personally I still feel that ditching the FA Cup rematches in general would help a lot. So stupid to have to find room in the bloated schedule to fit in games because of a rule that only made sense centuries ago. Just go to penalties if it's tied after 90 in FA Cup and League Cup games and be done with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
That is actually quite bad and probably in range of human error. One of the things I really like about football matches is the they are completed in an hour and a half(1:45 including halftime) as opposed to the 3 to 4 hour marathons in NA sports. The continuous flow of the game is part of its intrinsic appeal and if they start introducing all these delays it will ruin the game.

Unless its transparent from a viewers perspective and nearly 100% accurate I don't like these "improvements". Right now its like a beta software process that is in early production, this should be tested in minor leagues until its ready for full production. I do agree with the goal cameras though as these do not delay the game and are 100 percent effective.
I hear you. I love the NHL and NFL, but the marathons are tiresome. VAR won't do a lot in that regard though - there will only be one or two instances every game at most and those don't extend the game at all. We're talking about a minute here, maybe two.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:19 PM   #1599
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

ya, id prefer pens as well

would add excitement too as you would have plenty more cupsets
Old 02-28-2018, 12:58 PM   #1600
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

VAR needs a lot of work. That Spurs goal that was just overturned was a good goal to anyone watching. IF there was a foul (and I'm not even sure there was one either way), it was the defender. I have no clue how that play could pass the "clear and obvious error" test though.

And suffice it to say...using VAR for the replay and not the first game is questionable to begin with.