Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2017, 11:42 PM   #3401
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Slippery slope when you start promising NHL roster spots based on keeping certain team members happy, as opposed to it being merit based.

Wayne Gretzky could've forced a long career for Keith, maybe next we have Johnny's little brother as a full time Flame....and not because he is the best player available.

I hope Treliving resolves this quickly, and gets Jankowski in the NHL if that is where they feel he belongs.

Based on what I saw, he makes the Calgary Flames a better team, right now and in the future. Not having him in the lineup has the potential to hurt the team.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:33 AM   #3402
Cgycowboy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Maybe we are moving Bennett for more help on the wing. (Win now). Could Turris or Duchesne play wing ?
Cgycowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:33 AM   #3403
JerryUnderscore
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgycowboy View Post
Maybe we are moving Bennett for more help on the wing. (Win now). Could Turris or Duchesne play wing ?
No thanks. I'll take Bennett over Duchene or Turris.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:40 AM   #3404
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryUnderscore View Post
No thanks. I'll take Bennett over Duchene or Turris.
I agree.

Bennett: 30-point player averaged over the last two years, age 21, cap hit $1,950,000.
Turris: 50-point player over three years, age 28, cap hit $3,500,000.
Duchene: 52-point player over the last three years, age 26, cap hit $6,000,000.

It would be foolish to trade Bennett for a second-line forward whose game is liable to start falling off in the next two or three years. It would be plumb idiotic to trade him for a second-line forward that the Flames could not even pay without going over the cap.

(And don't talk to me about trading Brouwer to make room. That ship hasn't sailed; it sank to the bottom of the harbour the minute it was launched.)
Old 10-11-2017, 09:53 AM   #3405
Cgycowboy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
I agree.

Bennett: 30-point player averaged over the last two years, age 21, cap hit $1,950,000.
Turris: 50-point player over three years, age 28, cap hit $3,500,000.
Duchene: 52-point player over the last three years, age 26, cap hit $6,000,000.

It would be foolish to trade Bennett for a second-line forward whose game is liable to start falling off in the next two or three years. It would be plumb idiotic to trade him for a second-line forward that the Flames could not even pay without going over the cap.

(And don't talk to me about trading Brouwer to make room. That ship hasn't sailed; it sank to the bottom of the harbour the minute it was launched.)
We are still very weak on RW so unless they decide to move Bennett or Jank on the wing I don't know how we will have room without keeping Jank as a 4th liner. That doesn't help us with the fact that we still could use a top calibre RW to win now.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2017, 11:47 AM   #3406
JerryUnderscore
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgycowboy View Post
We are still very weak on RW so unless they decide to move Bennett or Jank on the wing I don't know how we will have room without keeping Jank as a 4th liner. That doesn't help us with the fact that we still could use a top calibre RW to win now.

I'd be much more comfortable moving either Bennett or Janko to the wing. Having too many good centres is a great problem to have.

Remember back when we tried to play Cammy at centre because we didn't have anyone else?
Old 10-11-2017, 11:52 AM   #3407
Cgycowboy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryUnderscore View Post
I'd be much more comfortable moving either Bennett or Janko to the wing. Having too many good centres is a great problem to have.

Remember back when we tried to play Cammy at centre because we didn't have anyone else?
Just tossing some stuff out there. Throw Bennett on the top line jank as third center with jags. Throw Ferland on 4th line get rid of any one of the current 4th line. That might get us a top winger in Bennett

Old 10-11-2017, 12:11 PM   #3408
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
16. I don’t think Mark Jankowski is going to be in AHL Stockton for too long
Friedman in his column http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/3...ing-islanders/
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:13 PM   #3409
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
...just cryptic enough for me to wonder if there isn't something afoot!
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:19 PM   #3410
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Honestly, Treliving better get this sorted out quick or Jankowski is going to demand a trade this summer. And I wouldn't blame him a bit. Treliving doesn't sign him until he's done college hockey, gets him to sign an ELC that doesn't start until the year after he signs it, and now looking at two full years in the AHL when he's clearly NHL ready.

At some point, Jankowski's agent has to talk some sense into him that he's not being treated right. He would be in the NHL already in most franchises. He's left a lot of money on the table up to this point.

Wonder how Hickey regarded Jankowski's treatment. Wonder how we fare with NCAA picks or free agents going forward. Treliving has signed some great contracts but at a certain point, playing hardball will cause some blowback.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:20 PM   #3411
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
Honestly, Treliving better get this sorted out quick or Jankowski is going to demand a trade this summer. And I wouldn't blame him a bit. Treliving doesn't sign him until he's done college hockey, gets him to sign an ELC that doesn't start until the year after he signs it, and now looking at two full years in the AHL when he's clearly NHL ready.
He is?
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:22 PM   #3412
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
...just cryptic enough for me to wonder if there isn't something afoot!
That's one way to look at it. Or, he's just saying what everyone has been saying since Jankowski was sent down.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:23 PM   #3413
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post

At some point, Jankowski's agent has to talk some sense into him that he's not being treated right. He would be in the NHL already in most franchises. He's left a lot of money on the table up to this point.

Wonder how Hickey regarded Jankowski's treatment. Wonder how we fare with NCAA picks or free agents going forward. Treliving has signed some great contracts but at a certain point, playing hardball will cause some blowback.
Jankowski has not left any money on the table. He's on an ELC. He would be on an ELC with any other team. If he refused to sign with Calgary and became a UFA he'd get the same money.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2017, 02:26 PM   #3414
cznTiburon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
He is?
Yeah, the AHL season is much more abbreviated than the NHL season only now composed of 6 games. He is 1/3 of the way through the AHL season. Why don't you understand this?
cznTiburon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cznTiburon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2017, 02:39 PM   #3415
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
That's one way to look at it. Or, he's just saying what everyone has been saying since Jankowski was sent down.
Yeah, but where's the excitement in that?

EXCITEMENT!

Old 10-11-2017, 02:41 PM   #3416
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

When Detroit was in their prime of developing players, this wouldn't have been a topic worthy of discussion on their board. I don't care if he stays in the A for the whole year.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2017, 02:45 PM   #3417
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Jankowski has not left any money on the table. He's on an ELC. He would be on an ELC with any other team. If he refused to sign with Calgary and became a UFA he'd get the same money.
To be accurate, Gaudreau's contract (for example) kicked in after he finished the college season while Jankowski signed an AHL deal to finish out the year and the NHL contract for the following year. Which is likely just one players leverage vs another, but yeah, Jankowski might have insisted that first year got burned as a condition of signing.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:46 PM   #3418
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
When Detroit was in their prime of developing players, this wouldn't have been a topic worthy of discussion on their board. I don't care if he stays in the A for the whole year.
Yeah, but it isn't 1998 anymore and the league is younger, and younger players have more leverage than ever before.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:32 PM   #3419
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
QUOTE=EldrickOnIce;6411147]To be accurate, Gaudreau's contract (for example) kicked in after he finished the college season while Jankowski signed an AHL deal to finish out the year and the NHL contract for the following year. Which is likely just one players leverage vs another, but yeah, Jankowski might have insisted that first year got burned as a condition of signing.[/QUOTE]

Plus the difference between his AHL salary and his NHL salary plus bonuses and the chance to prove himself to get a bigger second contract. Do you really not think he could be doing better play and contract wise with another team? Do you really think he should be content with being buried in the AHL? There's time to work things out but it better be sooner rather than later or we'll be burning up a lot of good will.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:38 PM   #3420
Reign of Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't understand how you justify this to Janko or how a prospect will believe they will be given a legit shot if they perform at camp. This already impacts Janko's chance of competing for ROY.
Reign of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote