Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2017, 07:26 PM   #3381
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryUnderscore View Post
This is pure conjecture and can't be proven or disproven. We have no idea who would have ben scratched had Freddie been in Stockton and Jankowski while the big club.

I remember all the times in the past when Wotherspoon was up with the Flames and yet was a healthy scratch. It seems like most of CP wanted him to be sent back down in order to get playing time.
Of course we don't know for sure who GG would have in the line-up. Didn't imply otherwise.

Wotherspoon isn't very good, that's why he wasn't in the line-up. Jankowski on the other hand has proven he should be in the NHL. Treliving has stated this in the media himself.

To clarify I'm not bitching about him not on the Flames roster right now. I'm sure Treliving has good reasons and has stated he will be back up once the roster situation is cleared up. Meaning trade or injury.

Last edited by Fire; 10-09-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Fire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:15 AM   #3382
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think people are reading to much into the Freddie thing. I think there is a reason he is the 13th forward. He probably is practices hard and does exactly what the coaches tell him to do and doesn't gripe about not playing. Shows up and does his job. He is the 13th forward and isn't taking playing time from anyone.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2017, 09:19 AM   #3383
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

In addition with Jagr stepping in, it would have been even more difficult to get Jankowski playing time. In the NHL, Jankowski should be playing a Top 9 role, instead of grinding out 5-7 minutes as a 4th liner.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Versteeg-Bennett-Jagr

I do hope that we see Jankowski in the NHL, sooner rather than later, as he has shown himself to be capable of playing at this level.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:21 AM   #3384
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Yeah I have no problem with Freddie as the #13th forward. He's kind of ideal for it actually, he's enough of a vet that you don't feel like it's hurting his development, and he seems to serve a purpose off the ice as well.

No point having a young guy in that spot who you'd rather play in the AHL.

That being said, Janko should come up ASAP which means someone else needs to go. Freddie down to Stockton with Glass or Stajan as #13 seems like the next step.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:54 AM   #3385
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Yeah I have no problem with Freddie as the #13th forward. He's kind of ideal for it actually, he's enough of a vet that you don't feel like it's hurting his development, and he seems to serve a purpose off the ice as well.

No point having a young guy in that spot who you'd rather play in the AHL.

That being said, Janko should come up ASAP which means someone else needs to go. Freddie down to Stockton with Glass or Stajan as #13 seems like the next step.
Yeah, I like Stajan but everything you just said about Freddie applies to Stajan. And with Jagr coming in and Lazar playing well, there's just no room. You can't keep Glass over Stajan IMO.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:04 AM   #3386
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

I think people need to be a bit more patient with where Jankowski is right now. He's likely to be called up as soon as we suffer an injury to a top 9 player, which odds would suggest, should be any time in the next couple weeks. With that in mind, he should be a lot more productive when he steps into that NHL role if he's spent the prior few weeks as Stockton's #1C, versus pressbox/4th line duty at the NHL level.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2017, 01:49 PM   #3387
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

The funny thing is I don't even think Freddy is the 13th forward. He's really the 14th forward who only plays if the coach wants to shake things up or if there are game day injuries.

He's fine on the team; Brouwer is the odd man out and we all know it.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Versteeg-Bennett-Jagr
Stajan-Jankowski-Lazar
Glass/Hamilton

Rotate Glass in when necessary.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:16 PM   #3388
jaikorven
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
The funny thing is I don't even think Freddy is the 13th forward. He's really the 14th forward who only plays if the coach wants to shake things up or if there are game day injuries.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Versteeg-Bennett-Jagr
Stajan-Jankowski-Lazar
Glass/Hamilton

This is exactly right...imo. A move needs to happen, but easier for us to say than for Treliving to do, I think.
jaikorven is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jaikorven For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2017, 04:56 PM   #3389
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Versteeg-Bennett-Jagr
Stajan-Jankowski-Lazar
Glass/Hamilton

This lineup is a thing of beauty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaikorven View Post
This is exactly right...imo. A move needs to happen, but easier for us to say than for Treliving to do, I think.
Moving Brouwer, given an ownership that won't retain salary, is not possible at this point. There's no room for Brouwer right now, but things will change when we have 3-4 injuries at a time. The Flames are one of the few teams that is not dealing with any injuries at the moment. It's bound to catch up with us.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2017, 06:11 PM   #3390
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
This lineup is a thing of beauty.

Moving Brouwer, given an ownership that won't retain salary, is not possible at this point. There's no room for Brouwer right now, but things will change when we have 3-4 injuries at a time. The Flames are one of the few teams that is not dealing with any injuries at the moment. It's bound to catch up with us.
Probably not true. If Treliving did get full control like rumoured he could do whatever he wanted. Plus Treliving has bought out players which is basically the same thing as retaining salary.

Fire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:27 PM   #3391
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Probably not true. If Treliving did get full control like rumoured he could do whatever he wanted. Plus Treliving has bought out players which is basically the same thing as retaining salary.
I think he may have come to a compromise and that is why we are in a "win now" situation.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:34 PM   #3392
1991 Canadian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hmm. Friedman on his tv spot indicates that Jankowski might not be in the minors for much longer.
1991 Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:37 PM   #3393
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991 Canadian View Post
Hmm. Friedman on his tv spot indicates that Jankowski might not be in the minors for much longer.
But not really suggesting any more than what we've already been saying here.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:50 PM   #3394
Samiz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have a gut feeling that there is probably a trade already in place once Jagr suits up that gets Jankowski into the lineup somehow
Samiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:52 PM   #3395
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vegas and Calgary are I the same position where roster decisions were delayed by sending players who didn't require waivers. I have to believe that their is a lot going on behind the scenes for both teams to make a decision. The problem is 29 other GMs know and are not going to help.

I do wonder if one of the California teams (or a team that recently played ) is a potential trade partner. Conroy was in stockton friday, but mentioned he was taking in NHL on the weekend. Treliving also made the trip to California.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:53 PM   #3396
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiz View Post
I have a gut feeling that there is probably a trade already in place once Jagr suits up that gets Jankowski into the lineup somehow
Go on...

Spill your beans.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:54 PM   #3397
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiz View Post
This gut feeling has legs.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2017, 09:58 PM   #3398
Samiz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

No legs, mainly what I've felt can be extrapolated by the way Treliving has been talking about the situation. Saying Janko should be in the NHL, and saying they have a "plan in place" when Jagr is ready if I recall correctly
Samiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:40 PM   #3399
Bonecrushing Hits
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I think people are reading to much into the Freddie thing. I think there is a reason he is the 13th forward. He probably is practices hard and does exactly what the coaches tell him to do and doesn't gripe about not playing. Shows up and does his job. He is the 13th forward and isn't taking playing time from anyone.
I have no problem with Freddie as the 13th forward either, as long as he earns it. As mentioned, he is the ideal candidate as he is veteran enough to not have his development harmed by sitting and he seems to have a great attitude. There is certainly an agreement in place with Dougie however to keep him around although I don't know for how long that agreement is valid. I have heard this as fact but I am not going to post how. Mods can PM me for source.
Bonecrushing Hits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:40 PM   #3400
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

It looks as though Jankowski had his assist from game #1 removed. He now sits with 3G 4Pts in 2GP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote