Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-24-2018, 05:49 AM   #4141
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I think a lot of adults underestimate the intelligence of kids. The rate these kids are learning is way beyond people who are past their prime. I've spoken to plenty of teenagers who are much more intelligible than a lot of adults I meet.
I work at a primarily undergraduate university. I work with students from literally all over the planet.

Sweet Moses, kids today are so much smarter than when I was a teenager (and I'm not that old!).

I do executive coaching and strategic planning with these students and their ability to understand complex issues, be creative, and build off each other's ideas is simply amazing.

This isn't to discredit the education the students in Parkland are receiving but holy crap the level of intelligence of teenagers is higher than you'd think.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2018, 07:06 AM   #4142
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
A teacher comes to the defense of the School cop
How is that kid so incredibly well spoken, compared to the English teacher next to her and the reporter? It's like she's reading off a script. I'm almost starting to believe these kids might actually be able to make a difference.
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2018, 07:15 AM   #4143
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Yeah some of them are so incredibly poised and well spoken, there is HOPE for our future people's!
Old 02-24-2018, 10:06 AM   #4144
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
How is that kid so incredibly well spoken, compared to the English teacher next to her and the reporter? It's like she's reading off a script. I'm almost starting to believe these kids might actually be able to make a difference.

Oh I truly believe they will.!

I am proud to years of this kids from this oft-maligned state.

This is a tipping point for Florida as well.

We’re always the butt of some awful joke.

Oh, that happened in Florida? It figures...

Oh, that happened in Arizona? Thought it would be Florida, har, har, har.

Florida? It’s just a big penis sticking out into the Atlantic. Everything bad about the US just flows down into it.

You’d probably have to live here to understand some of the other underlying stuff here.

Of course, it’s a matter of timing as well.

I have a love/hate relationship with this place myself.

These kids are just so great I don’t know how to express it I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-24-2018, 11:12 AM   #4145
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I did most of my podcasts last week on the shooting and examining the impact of the kids and what actual change might mean going forward. Easier than typing it all out here if people care to listen. *NSFW*

Last edited by Coach; 02-24-2018 at 11:14 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2018, 04:09 PM   #4146
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Can't stand Cenk, but here is a pretty excellent clip showing how Trump is either unable to listen to people or is just plain stupid.

Old 02-24-2018, 04:10 PM   #4147
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

I'm sure if it was a white man he would believe him.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:36 PM   #4148
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Anyone who is even entertaining the idea of arming teachers should made to watch this.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:09 PM   #4149
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Can't stand Cenk, but here is a pretty excellent clip showing how Trump is either unable to listen to people or is just plain stupid.

Lol, he's such a dumbass.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:10 PM   #4150
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Anyone who is even entertaining the idea of arming teachers should made to watch this.
I agree 100% with all of this video. But I also think there is a scenario where a teacher having a gun would be very helpful. In particular all of those teachers hiding in class rooms with their students would have been well served firing a couple rounds through the door as a way to discourage the shooter from coming in their classroom. Yeah it puts others at risk of getting a random bullet. Of course there are risks in arming half a million teachers in general. But its got to be a helpless feeling knowing your room is next or in line or knowing the shooter is at your door. In no way would I expect a teacher to kill a shooter, but maybe it could work as a way to get some warning shots in your defense.

The video only shows one scenario, the ambush or surprise attack. After 5 minutes of shooting I would assume most people not in the first few classrooms would have their wits reclaimed enough to at least draw, load, point and decide if there's a prudent shot to take.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:23 PM   #4151
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

spoilered for size

Spoiler!
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2018, 12:27 PM   #4152
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Yeah it puts others at risk of getting a random bullet. Of course there are risks in arming half a million teachers in general.

You should have stopped here.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2018, 12:43 PM   #4153
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
You should have stopped here.
Yeah but there's a point to be made that no one makes. You don't have to be Rambo and blast your way into a fire fight with someone to have effective self defense. There's such a laser focus on "you can't win a fire fight unless you train in fire fights every day". It's so one sided even those dumb 2nd amendment folks can't seem to coherently explain why it might not be such a bad idea to have a few people who are licensed to carry guns anyway, carry guns at work. Unless you can fix the problem properly, you really are disadvantaging people by creating gun free zones. If this is your culture then you either play the game or you lose.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:52 PM   #4154
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah but there's a point to be made that no one makes. You don't have to be Rambo and blast your way into a fire fight with someone to have effective self defense. There's such a laser focus on "you can't win a fire fight unless you train in fire fights every day". It's so one sided even those dumb 2nd amendment folks can't seem to coherently explain why it might not be such a bad idea to have a few people who are licensed to carry guns anyway, carry guns at work. Unless you can fix the problem properly, you really are disadvantaging people by creating gun free zones. If this is your culture then you either play the game or you lose.

As much as I hate to admit it, under the current circumstances and environment in the US arming teachers might actually improve the situation. These shooters are not mastermind hardened terrorists and I expect a portion would be deterred by the thought of armed teachers. For those who aren’t deterred, or even relish the thought of a shootout, it’s hard to say if the situation would be improved or not. Some shooters would be stopped early, offset by accidental or collateral shootings.

Sadly, in the logic of gun culture this is a plausible approach. From my vantage point in safe privileged Calgary the idea is appalling.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:13 PM   #4155
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree 100% with all of this video. But I also think there is a scenario where a teacher having a gun would be very helpful. In particular all of those teachers hiding in class rooms with their students would have been well served firing a couple rounds through the door as a way to discourage the shooter from coming in their classroom.
This is the worst strategy you can use. During an active shooter event the three strategies to employ ore Run, Hide, Fight, in that order. RUN away from the source of gun fire. If you can't get outside the building, HIDE. Find a room with a door that locks, get in that room and close the door. Get as far away from the door and windows as you can, and hide in a corner where the gunman will have no way of seeing you. Last resort is to FIGHT. If the gunman forces his way into the room, everyone in it has to swarm him and dogpile. Someone may take a bullet, but the majority will survive the encounter.

As for the firing warning shots through a door, well you just told the gunman that this is a target rich environment worth returning fire. In the situation of a pistol against an AR, the pistol always loses. The gunman can unload through the door blindly and do much more damage. The best strategy is to remain behind the locked door, keep quiet, and hope the gunman will move on. In almost every one of these events it has been reported that the gunman was deterred by a locked door and just headed on down the hall looking for easier targets. Stay hidden, keep quiet, and let the gunman move on looking to satisfy his desire of easy kills.

Quote:
Yeah it puts others at risk of getting a random bullet. Of course there are risks in arming half a million teachers in general. But its got to be a helpless feeling knowing your room is next or in line or knowing the shooter is at your door. In no way would I expect a teacher to kill a shooter, but maybe it could work as a way to get some warning shots in your defense.
Not sure if you are aware of this, but warning shots are pretty well illegal. You are responsible for any bullet discharged from your weapon. If you happen to miss the assailant and hit a bystander, you are going to be charged with 2nd degree murder. This is what ever CCW course tells you, and this is how the police will treat you. This is not the movies where the cops come by and shake your hand or give you a mulligan because you missed your target. There are consequences for discharging your weapon, and you are responsible for where that bullet ends up, regardless of circumstances.

Quote:
The video only shows one scenario, the ambush or surprise attack. After 5 minutes of shooting I would assume most people not in the first few classrooms would have their wits reclaimed enough to at least draw, load, point and decide if there's a prudent shot to take.
Your performance under pressure is horrendous. Take your average day at the range, find your worst rounds on target, and expect those as your best results. LEOs will shoot 80-90% consistently at the range, but in a stressful situation that falls to 20-30%. In a life or death situation your flight response kicks into over-drive and your faculties start to shut down. Cognitive processing is limited and you ability to differentiate between friend and foe disappears. There is a reason the term "fog of war" exists. There is no gathering of wits in these situations unless this is the situation you are constantly in. These are extreme situations and extreme results are expected. You put a gun in a classroom and expect more dead kids through accidental targeting or getting caught in cross fire. Keep guns the #### out of the classroom!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2018, 01:17 PM   #4156
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This is from 1972.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to snootchiebootchies For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2018, 05:38 PM   #4157
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
As much as I hate to admit it, under the current circumstances and environment in the US arming teachers might actually improve the situation. These shooters are not mastermind hardened terrorists and I expect a portion would be deterred by the thought of armed teachers. For those who aren’t deterred, or even relish the thought of a shootout, it’s hard to say if the situation would be improved or not. Some shooters would be stopped early, offset by accidental or collateral shootings.

Sadly, in the logic of gun culture this is a plausible approach. From my vantage point in safe privileged Calgary the idea is appalling.
Not one of these idiots expects or likely wants to survive, there whole plan is to die, as such gun toting teachers mean nothing to them.
This is about Trump and the NRA's most asinine idea in a sea of dumb ideas, it will not deter shooters in any way, it will cost a crap load of money, it may well put a gun in the hands of an unstable teacher who themselves would shoot kids, it may well precipitate a shooting if a teacher was assaulted and then disarmed by an unstable kid all of which in order to give a teacher a gun that is completely useless as a means of self defense.

Spend the money on better doors and a decent intercom so the kids can lock themselves down.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2018, 06:19 PM   #4158
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Spend the money on better doors and a decent intercom so the kids can lock themselves down.
Invest in proper security systems that allow the system to be thrown into lockdown with the click of a mouse. A lot colleges and universities are moving to access control systems which allow for immediate lockdown and remote control over the doors/locks. This investment saves on foot patrols and increase the security posture across campus. The same could be done at K-12 schools around the country. It would be expensive, but worth the investment.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2018, 09:31 PM   #4159
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
]
both, but predominantly just plain stupid
Old 02-25-2018, 09:57 PM   #4160
Red Ice Player
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Of all the things that could have somehow energized young millennials and brand new Gen Z voters into action, it turns out to be guns. Those great kids are currently dismantling the nra piece by corporate partner piece. They are fearless, articulate and prepared. The nra has become a punchline overnight. The Parkland group are currently putting the full court press on Amazon.com to drop nra tv. Energized youth. This boomer loves it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Ice Player For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread