Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-11-2017, 03:38 PM   #3421
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
To be accurate, Gaudreau's contract (for example) kicked in after he finished the college season while Jankowski signed an AHL deal to finish out the year and the NHL contract for the following year. Which is likely just one players leverage vs another, but yeah, Jankowski might have insisted that first year got burned as a condition of signing.
Just for fun, had the first year of Johnny's ELC not get burned and he was a restricted FA after the 16-17 season, what do you think he would have signed for? Even after a down year, I would say at least 5 years at $6.75M/year?

Using that since that is what's left on his current contract.
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to albertGQ For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2017, 03:39 PM   #3422
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jankowski seems to have a good head on his shoulders. He isntgoing to cause ANY waves at all, he understands the situation completely.
Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:56 PM   #3423
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
...At some point, Jankowski's agent has to talk some sense into him that he's not being treated right...
Maybe you should call Jankowski's agent. He clearly could benefit from your sage advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:13 PM   #3424
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
Just for fun, had the first year of Johnny's ELC not get burned and he was a restricted FA after the 16-17 season, what do you think he would have signed for? Even after a down year, I would say at least 5 years at $6.75M/year?

Using that since that is what's left on his current contract.
I don't think he would've had a down year had he not been involved in a protected contract dispute to begin the year.

Gaudreau was one of the three best players for Team North America at the world cup, and the other two were Matthews and McDavid.

So had Gaudreau simply had another 70-80 point season, we would be looking at 8 @ $7.5 per as a starting point. Johnny and Sean's deals expiring when they did saved us at least five million on our cap a session.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:24 PM   #3425
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
QUOTE=EldrickOnIce;6411147]To be accurate, Gaudreau's contract (for example) kicked in after he finished the college season while Jankowski signed an AHL deal to finish out the year and the NHL contract for the following year. Which is likely just one players leverage vs another, but yeah, Jankowski might have insisted that first year got burned as a condition of signing.
Plus the difference between his AHL salary and his NHL salary plus bonuses and the chance to prove himself to get a bigger second contract. Do you really not think he could be doing better play and contract wise with another team? Do you really think he should be content with being buried in the AHL? There's time to work things out but it better be sooner rather than later or we'll be burning up a lot of good will.[/QUOTE]

There is no difference between his AHL and NHL salaries on his present ELC. If you are talking about a one game contract like JG got, the money was negligible he played 8 games and the money would have been pro-rated (there would have been no bonuses for the one game he might have gotten into). And frankly, like Eldrick implied, Jankowski was in no position (unlike Gaudreau) to insist on a burn year of his ELC. Finally, it's pretty obvious he wasn't in that position since he was a call-up for only one game last year.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:26 PM   #3426
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
I don't think he would've had a down year had he not been involved in a protected contract dispute to begin the year.

Gaudreau was one of the three best players for Team North America at the world cup, and the other two were Matthews and McDavid.

So had Gaudreau simply had another 70-80 point season, we would be looking at 8 @ $7.5 per as a starting point. Johnny and Sean's deals expiring when they did saved us at least five million on our cap a session.
The biggest issue would have been if he signed before or after Draisaitl.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:40 PM   #3427
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
There is no difference between his AHL and NHL salaries on his present ELC. If you are talking about a one game contract like JG got, the money was negligible he played 8 games and the money would have been pro-rated (there would have been no bonuses for the one game he might have gotten into). And frankly, like Eldrick implied, Jankowski was in no position (unlike Gaudreau) to insist on a burn year of his ELC. Finally, it's pretty obvious he wasn't in that position since he was a call-up for only one game last year.
I believe he only makes $70k playing in the AHL. According to Cap Friendly anyways. Big difference from almost $1MM.

Last edited by red sky; 10-11-2017 at 04:43 PM.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to red sky For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2017, 05:07 PM   #3428
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
There is no difference between his AHL and NHL salaries on his present ELC.

Yeah, that’s not how that works. There’s a very big difference.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2017, 05:18 PM   #3429
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Maybe you should call Jankowski's agent. He clearly could benefit from your sage advice.
Right, because no one has ever seen situations like this go wrong. Jankowski can do math. So can his agent.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:36 PM   #3430
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I think what everyone is saying is we all need to give this a little time.
And, winning glosses over most problems.

We get 20 games into the season with no Jankowski in the lineup, and I expect your view will have much wider support. Unless the Flames are 16-4.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:38 PM   #3431
JerryUnderscore
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Right, because no one has ever seen situations like this go wrong. Jankowski can do math. So can his agent.
Yes, we've all seen situations go bad. But not all situations go bad.

There's absolutely no reason for Jankowski to demand a trade. He hasn't been jerked around.

It's not like Treliving said he needs more time in the AHL. Everyone from Treliving to Gulutzan to the media to us on this board recognize that Janko earned his spot on the team and it's now just a matter of making room on the roster.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:44 PM   #3432
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryUnderscore View Post
Yes, we've all seen situations go bad. But not all situations go bad.

There's absolutely no reason for Jankowski to demand a trade. He hasn't been jerked around.

It's not like Treliving said he needs more time in the AHL. Everyone from Treliving to Gulutzan to the media to us on this board recognize that Janko earned his spot on the team and it's now just a matter of making room on the roster.
Fair enough. No I don't think he's ready to ask for a trade yet but he'd be justifiably frustrated if he stays down there too long. Waiting until the trade deadline for example would be too late in my view and burn a lot of goodwill. I hope something comes together sooner than later for the team and the player. Stockton is not where Jankowski belongs anymore.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:52 PM   #3433
JerryUnderscore
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Fair enough. No I don't think he's ready to ask for a trade yet but he'd be justifiably frustrated if he stays down there too long. Waiting until the trade deadline for example would be too late in my view and burn a lot of goodwill. I hope something comes together sooner than later for the team and the player. Stockton is not where Jankowski belongs anymore.
I wouldn't be surprised if we start to see some moves after the 10 game mark. Right now some teams are giving their rookies a nine-game look but if they decide to send them down they might be more willing to bring in another body.

Either due to trade or injury, Jankowski will be playing with the Flames before too long. We should all be as patient as Jankowski has been.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:00 PM   #3434
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Honestly, Treliving better get this sorted out quick or Jankowski is going to demand a trade this summer.
Pure speculation on your part. And likely nonsense on your part.

Quote:
And I wouldn't blame him a bit. Treliving doesn't sign him until he's done college hockey, gets him to sign an ELC that doesn't start until the year after he signs it, and now looking at two full years in the AHL when he's clearly NHL ready.
Assumptive nonsense on your part. Friedman thinks Jankowski will be in the NHL soon. Some random Flames fan thinks he's doomed to spend the entire year in the minors. Who to believe, who to believe...

Quote:
At some point, Jankowski's agent has to talk some sense into him that he's not being treated right. He would be in the NHL already in most franchises. He's left a lot of money on the table up to this point.
More nonsense.

Quote:
Wonder how Hickey regarded Jankowski's treatment. Wonder how we fare with NCAA picks or free agents going forward. Treliving has signed some great contracts but at a certain point, playing hardball will cause some blowback.
Treatment? You make it sound like Jankowski has been severely wronged. He's starting the season in the minors. It happens in hockey.

Definitely some overreaction nonsense.

Overall a lot of nonsense from you. I'd suggest staying in exile.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2017, 06:33 PM   #3435
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Nice comment. Ever so slightly more polite than just telling me to shut up.

What I think is that Jankowski has already put in his time in the AHL and deserves a spot on the NHL roster. You compared his condition to Shipyachov in another thread who is asking for a trade. I know they are different situations. I know that there is still time to work things out and I hope like other posters that a trade is in the wings to make room for Jankowski. I think he deserves to have room made for him, not be an injury call-up. I hope things are resolved soon because a continuation of the current situation could cause Jankowski to perceive that he would be better off on another team that can give him the shot he's earned.

Perhaps I overstated things. The season is still young. I still don't like the situation and I don't think it's speculative at all to think that Jankowski isn't happy about being in Stockton rather than with the Flames.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:40 PM   #3436
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think it's speculative at all to think that Jankowski isn't happy about being in Stockton rather than with the Flames.
Actually unless you have something tangible to point to in order to support that, that's exactly what it is.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2017, 06:44 PM   #3437
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
Actually unless you have something tangible to point to in order to support that, that's exactly what it is.
If he's equally happy being with the farm team and in the NHL, there's something wrong with him, don't you think? I'm not saying he's blown his top and demanding a trade next week. I'm saying the best you can expect is that he is tolerating the situation and taking it in stride. Seems to be the case up to now. Don't think it's reasonable to expect that to remain the case indefinitely.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:47 PM   #3438
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 10-11-2017, 07:06 PM   #3439
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I suspect you're worrying about this far more than either Jankowski or his agent.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2017, 07:22 PM   #3440
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do wonder if Treliving doe have something in his pocket. depth is nice to have but from the mouth of the GM himself, Janko should be on this roster and will be.

This is the end of their roadie and no better time to adjust the roster. Im sure tinkering too much is a bad thing but there's enough depth to move some guys to get Janko the room.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote