Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-04-2017, 02:19 PM   #1
KipperFaNaTic
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Saddledome Noise Rallying Cry

This is a rallying cry for us Flames Fans to show the team and the coaching staff that we are right behind them every step of the way with this incredible turn around!

Let's get this playoff bandwagon train going and get the saddledome rocking!

Do you remember when we were embarrassed by the Oilers 7-3 back in January? Do you remember us getting blown out in Toronto (4-0) and Montreal (5-1) right after? We were second last in the division in front of Phoenix.

That was definitely the low point of the season. Some of CP wanted Hartley back, some questioned whether Monahan and Gaudreau were grossly overrated, some wondered what Giordano would get us on the trade market, some wanted us to tank.

The Flames could've given mailed it in and wait for next season. But they refused. Since then, the Flames have went 11-2-1, and are now in the driver's seat for the playoffs.

So, lets show the boys that we are right behind them!
KipperFaNaTic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 03:17 PM   #2
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shhh I'm trying to enjoy my cognac at this sporting event. Good show!
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2017, 03:22 PM   #3
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kudos to the driver of the white Cadillac that I saw this morning on Deerfoot with the Flames car flag. First one I've seen all season...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2017, 03:25 PM   #4
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Can confirm that it was a library for periods 2 and 3 last night. Tres disappointing.

Wings fans were making more collective noise until OT.

I don't like how fairweather the attending fans have become. They don't make noise until good things happen on the ice. But it's still home ice. You want the team to feel like the building is behind them, even before they score a big goal. It should be a motivating factor to help them tie a game or pull ahead. If we don't get behind the team from the drop of the puck then home ice ceases to be much of an advantage.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2017, 03:26 PM   #5
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Shhh I'm trying to enjoy my cognac at this sporting event. Good show!
I say good sir, this raucous behaviour shant be tolerated!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg

Last edited by Locke; 03-04-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2017, 03:27 PM   #6
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Kudos to the driver of the white Cadillac that I saw this morning on Deerfoot with the Flames car flag. First one I've seen all season...
Remember when there was one on every third/fourth car during hockey season between 04-09?
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2017, 03:31 PM   #7
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Time to hang my flag. I'll be the tool in the silver Santa fe who sucks at signalling, but if you give me a honk and wave I'll fire a thumbs up back
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to H2SO4(aq) For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2017, 03:32 PM   #8
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I'll post my thoughts from the PGT

Quote:
Calgary sports fans are terrible in pretty much all situations save for very intense, special moments. Same with concert crowds, just abysmal. It's part and parcel of living in a high income, white collar city. They'll pay for tickets, but they're coming to act like white collar business people, and no more.
Basically, don't expect too much from sports fans in this city unless it's a REALLY special moment/time. We've got 0 and 10 on our sports fandom, white collar to a tee. Most Calgarian's relationship with sports/music/entertainment is "I pay my hard earned money to go and relax while being entertained, it's not up to me to be part of an atmosphere."

Even those that will contest that out of habit or emotion because they're Calgarians will be agreeing with that assessment, deep down.

Last edited by jayswin; 03-04-2017 at 03:35 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2017, 03:34 PM   #9
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post

Basically, don't expect too much from sports fans in this city unless it's a REALLY special moment/time. We've got 0 and 10 on our sports fandom, white collar to a tee.
I would agree with that. I dont think it has much to do with being 'white collar' or a businessman or anything though.

I just dont go crazy at concerts or sporting events until things have progressed to a certain level.

Perhaps people in other places are just more easily entertained?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2017, 03:36 PM   #10
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post

Basically, don't expect too much from sports fans in this city unless it's a REALLY special moment/time. We've got 0 and 10 on our sports fandom, white collar to a tee. Most Calgarians relationship with sports/music/entertainment is "I pay my hard earned money to go and relax while being entertained, it's not up to me to be part of an atmosphere."

Even those that will contest that out of habit or emotion because they're Calgarians will be agreeing with that assessment, deep down.
Why do you even post on a Flames fan board? You continually crap all over Calgary fans on attendance and other things. Let me guess, you don't have Stamps and Flames season tickets and cheer your butt off all the time.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 03:38 PM   #11
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I would agree with that. I dont think it has much to do with being 'white collar' or a businessman or anything though.

I just dont go crazy at concerts or sporting events until things have progressed to a certain level.

Perhaps people in other places are just more easily entertained?
Those crowds are typically associated with white collar populations. There's a reason why owners/promotors love the white collar cities because they get their money from a wealthier, sturdier demographic, while the players/artists love the blue collar cities because they get an actual atmosphere and mutual kinship with their fans.
Old 03-04-2017, 03:41 PM   #12
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
Why do you even post on a Flames fan board? You continually crap all over Calgary fans on attendance and other things. Let me guess, you don't have Stamps and Flames season tickets and cheer your butt off all the time.
I love the teams themselves, deeply. I had season tickets for five years, so it's not coming from nowhere.

If it helps at all, my sentiment comes from a desire for fans to better, I truly wish that was the case. It's not mockery/condemnation out of superiority.

Last edited by jayswin; 03-04-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-04-2017, 03:42 PM   #13
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well said. IMO, this is the result of the cost of going to a Flames game rising to a price that only a small portion of the fan base can afford.

The atmosphere I experience during periods 2 and 3 of yesterday's game was an absolute embarrassment to a club that is playing some great hockey. The atmosphere I experienced during the overtime was the complete opposite, and made me want to go back.

Let's have more of the latter.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 03:46 PM   #14
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Overtime last night was the first time I've experienced playoff atmosphere at a game since 2015 vs the Ducks. Need much more of that.
Old 03-04-2017, 03:57 PM   #15
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

It is embarrassing... they need to put the cheaper seats closer to the ice and go up in price the higher you go. Put in nicer seats higher up with lots of room to keep the "elites" happy so they can bring there clients without ruining the atmosphere for everyone else. The site lines are usually better as well.
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 03:57 PM   #16
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm a bit surprised at all the comments about the dome being quiet last night. It was loud in my area. I'd been noticing that recently it was impossible to sustain a Go Flames Go chant but there were a bunch of good ones last night. Part of it is the on the players though too. When Gio hit Brown vs LA the building started buzzing and got loud. This edition of the Flames don't get very many big hits and I think that's part of it.

Overall, I agree it's been a bit quiet this year but It's picking up now
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:05 PM   #17
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy27 View Post
I'm a bit surprised at all the comments about the dome being quiet last night. It was loud in my area. I'd been noticing that recently it was impossible to sustain a Go Flames Go chant but there were a bunch of good ones last night. Part of it is the on the players though too. When Gio hit Brown vs LA the building started buzzing and got loud. This edition of the Flames don't get very many big hits and I think that's part of it.

Overall, I agree it's been a bit quiet this year but It's picking up now
That's unfortunately not a Flames issue, the league has been working to remove fighting and big hits from the game over the past few years. Watching games across the NHL, you just don't see the big hits and fights anymore.

It's all about perfectly executing system hockey now.
Old 03-04-2017, 04:42 PM   #18
Insufficient Funds
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I would love for Flames fans to have a chanting song they could sing in unison. Like in any European or south American soccer league. I bore of the Go Flames Go and people always get out of cinc.

It would have to be a fan started song, the Flames don't have time for that. Any talented writers or singers want to have a go at one? We would be the first team in the NHL to have one.
Insufficient Funds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Insufficient Funds For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2017, 04:44 PM   #19
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think most fans are still nervous. This team has been inconsistent this year, and years past, and there's been so much heartbreak with this team for nearly a decade now. Fans are conditioned to expect the worst, and won't cheer loudly for fear of looking stupid after.

Also, whatever happened to trumpet guy? That guy along with Harvey could get the crowd going by himself.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:45 PM   #20
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Maybe just the Ring of Fire lyrics? Chant style.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post: